Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 02:03 AM

120 posts, read 175,530 times

Advertisements

That's a terrible exaggeration. No one drops a ton of in renovation so they can put their house on the market, and absolutely not a condo. Granite has been around for a while and certainly won't be "passé" in 5 years.

To answer the OP's question, I would say unless you are very sure about wanting to buy a place, just rent for now. 22 is such a young age to be tied down with a property. Sure you can rent it out later on if you don't want to sell, but that's a lot of headache to deal with. I just bought a house this year at age 27 and single, and I do feel that owning the house has made me less free to travel about, even though the effect may be more mental than actual constraints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
Just be sure you've got the money to renovate before you sell in a few years. In 5 years granite counter tops and the like will be passé like carpet is now. Be ready to drop 30 k on renovations plus realtor fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 08:18 PM

616 posts, read 1,112,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chengdu Nanhai View Post
That's a terrible exaggeration. No one drops a ton of in renovation so they can put their house on the market, and absolutely not a condo. Granite has been around for a while and certainly won't be "passé" in 5 years.

To answer the OP's question, I would say unless you are very sure about wanting to buy a place, just rent for now. 22 is such a young age to be tied down with a property. Sure you can rent it out later on if you don't want to sell, but that's a lot of headache to deal with. I just bought a house this year at age 27 and single, and I do feel that owning the house has made me less free to travel about, even though the effect may be more mental than actual constraints.
You are 27, so granite has been around "for a while" for you, probably as long as you can remember caring about this kind of thing. But trust me, times change. What's cool changes. What's in demand changes. If it didn't, realtors and home renovators would go broke. Stucco was cool at some point too. Now you can't even give away a stucco sided house. There was a time when hard wood floors were considered low budget and dated. Falcon Crest and Dallas used to set trends. It happens.

And yes, it's common to drop $$ on renovations just to sell a house, especially in a market like we had the past few years. And especially in a condo when they are building brand new condos left and right in Atlanta.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:25 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
No, no no. Do. Not. Buy.

Rent.

A mortgage might be "cheaper" than your rent payment, but the COST of home OWNERSHIP can be a lot more expensive, add to that the cost of selling a home in just a couple years.

Also at 22, do you even have any cash to put down...??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta