Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 06:35 PM

708 posts, read 999,357 times

Advertisements

We need a good name to call ourselves because "Y'allywood" doesn't sound right at all?
So here, let's come up with some names and soon or later lets come up with a voting poll and see what we like the best.Then, what ever comes out on top we'll spread the new name all around the world!!!

READY!!! SET !!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 06:39 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
...No

Old 08-24-2014, 06:43 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
How about we band together to send Hollywood back where they belong? Or at least force places to stick them in studios where they belong rather than running around stealing taxpayer-funded roads in order to make themselves rich?

Old 08-24-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
...No
...YES

Old 08-24-2014, 07:21 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
How about we band together to send Hollywood back where they belong? Or at least force places to stick them in studios where they belong rather than running around stealing taxpayer-funded roads in order to make themselves rich?
Yes, let's send the industry that has put a ton of people to work around here, and has brought a bunch of people moving here to get work, away. I have so many friends who used to scrape for work who are now doing quite well because of movies and television.

Sounds like a great plan. Maybe next, we can tell Coke and Home Depot to go somewhere else.

And what do you mean by "stick them in studios rather than stealing roads"?

Old 08-24-2014, 07:34 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
I mean exactly what I said, if they want to film around here, they can build a studio and do it from there rather than closing off streets at their whim.

While a few people might have found work, how many more have lost work? Do you really think they pay every business owner the full cost for the loss of business before and after shutting them down for a week or however long they're there? I very highly doubt it. These fly-by-night production companies (like the one that killed a camera assistant due to sheer stupidity) aren't exactly flush with cash. So yea, the city or county or whomever might charge a little for tying up a street, but how much is this nonsense hurting small businesses and causing them to lay off people and maybe even close up? If you're business is shut down by hollywood every week or so, how many people will keep coming back?

Old 08-24-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I mean exactly what I said, if they want to film around here, they can build a studio and do it from there rather than closing off streets at their whim.

While a few people might have found work, how many more have lost work? Do you really think they pay every business owner the full cost for the loss of business before and after shutting them down for a week or however long they're there? I very highly doubt it. These fly-by-night production companies (like the one that killed a camera assistant due to sheer stupidity) aren't exactly flush with cash. So yea, the city or county or whomever might charge a little for tying up a street, but how much is this nonsense hurting small businesses and causing them to lay off people and maybe even close up? If you're business is shut down by hollywood every week or so, how many people will keep coming back?
I am so glad you stay in Conyers, not in Atlanta.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:03 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
Most filming is taking place outside the city....fyi so this is not just a city thing. I am one who hates when people try to refer Atlanta to anything (i.e. NYC of the South, New Hollywood, Hotlanta) and really wish they would allow this area to continue to grow and develop their own identity.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:11 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:

First of all, numerous studios have been built around here, and even more productions film in nondescript warehouses where you wouldn't even know unless you knew what you were looking for.

Do you have any source stating how many people have lost work over productions shutting down areas, or how many businesses have been affected in an actual negative way? In fact, many areas are being affected positively because of it. Downtown Senoia is booming.

Quote:
Restaurants are jammed, and business in Senoia has never been better. Just a couple years ago, The Redneck Gourmet just off Main Street was struggling, but now it’s packed, according to Manager Kassy Johnson.

Jim Preece, the owner of an antique and gift shop, told Davis business has doubled.
I can assure you that more than "a few" people have found work due to this industry moving in. Three live on my street alone. I am friends with at least a dozen more. The film union's roster has grown by thousands in the last few years.

And according to an article someone else posted, the industry has brought $5 billion in economic input. That means $5 billion being spent in our city. A lot of that is helping many of these businesses and creating tons of new ones.

And don't, for one second, think that I support all of their actions, especially the one that took Sarah Jones. I believe the producers of that one should be in jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
Maybe he's pissed about the Originals or whatever films in downtown Conyers sometimes.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:26 PM

605 posts, read 804,678 times
Wilmington, NC is called both "Wilmywood" and "Hollywood East."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta