Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 11:30 AM

561 posts, read 780,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i have a question: is it possible to go through security and visit the concourses without taking a flight? i would like to go and see all these improvements but i have nowhere to fly to.
I believe there is a movement brewing to allow non-ticketed persons in the secured areas again. Pittsburgh has just done this. Maybe HJ will be doing the same soon.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-11/612037001/
Quote:
Care to do some shopping at the airport, even if you're not flying? Or walk a loved one to the gate before their flight?

You’ll be able to do that starting next week at Pittsburgh International. The airport is now poised to become the first U.S. airport allow non-fliers regular access into its gate-side terminal areas since security measures changed after the 9/11 terrorist attacks in 2001.

The airport has won approval from the Transportation Security Administration for non-ticketed customers to pass through security, though they will still have to go through the same screening as those catching flights. They’ll also be required to show ID so they can be vetted against no-fly lists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 11:39 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post
I believe there is a movement brewing to allow non-ticketed persons in the secured areas again. Pittsburgh has just done this. Maybe HJ will be doing the same soon.

Pittsburgh doesn't see the amount of passenger traffic that HJIA sees. Doing so would mean hundreds or thousands more people in a confined space.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:42 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,917,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Pittsburgh doesn't see the amount of passenger traffic that HJIA sees. Doing so would mean hundreds or thousands more people in a confined space.
I was thinking the same, cq.

Concourses A & B at peak times in particular are almost unbelievably packed. Pittsburgh was one of the first Airports to have a heavy restaurant and retail presence on the concourses, back when it was a new hub for US Airways. They even promoted it as the 'Air Mall.' Now that the hub is long gone, the businesses there are on life support.

It's a cool concept, but I don't see this ever happening here.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:39 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post

I like this. I remember the good old days of greeting your family as they got off the airplane, not as they came up that huge escalator.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:53 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,763,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I like this. I remember the good old days of greeting your family as they got off the airplane, not as they came up that huge escalator.
On some nights it feels weird coming up the escalator with the number of people waiting on the other side. It makes me really like those handrail barricades.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:53 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,526 times
I guess I'm not a good friend; when I pick someone up from the airport, if I'm feeling really generous I'll wait for them in the cell phone lot. If I'm not I'll pick them up at the MARTA station in my neighborhood.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:32 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,917,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
I guess I'm not a good friend; when I pick someone up from the airport, if I'm feeling really generous I'll wait for them in the cell phone lot. If I'm not I'll pick them up at the MARTA station in my neighborhood.
I would say you're a very good friend, either situation is nice of you.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:32 PM

41 posts, read 80,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Exactly. The number and quality of the restaurants, bars & shops has become pretty impressive as well.

The raising of the roof and the new walls of glass coming to A & B are going to transform the entire feeling of these amazingly busy concourses.

The orange panels are coming off of the exterior of the concourses as well, being replaced with a smoky-grey reflective glass. You can see small finished sections on the north end of C and the south end of T so far.
The new gate areas look great! Flew out of A5 last week, did not pay attention to the rest of the terminal but A5 and A3 were complete. Flying out of D week after next so I'll take a peek and see if I can get a glance of the exterior updates.

The non-DL (North) departures and arrivals level is closed so all the non-DL passengers on off site shuttles have to trek through the atrium to get to their respective airline counters (if needed).

Old 11-02-2017, 05:49 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,868,101 times
Agreed. Was there two weeks ago, new gate area at the end of the A is awesome. Love those huge windows and higher ceilings.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:34 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
HJIA considers scaling back the need for more expensive parking garages, in the wake of ride hailing services.
Quote:
Now, “We’re going to have to ask ourselves the question, ‘Do we still need eight levels on the South side?’” said Hartsfield-Jackson interim assistant general manager of planning and development Tom Nissalke. With autonomous vehicles on the horizon and Uber and Lyft affecting parking usage, airport officials will again review parking demand. “We’re at an interesting point in the evolution of automobiles,” Nissalke said.
https://www.ajc.com/business/hartsfi...PUsleqLhJLG3N/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta