Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:39 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,936,261 times

Advertisements

Would be the worst move AA/USAir could do to give up its T gates. Biz Flyer who go to Chicago, DFW, MIA, BOS Love the close to the terminal Gate.

Since all AA/USAir fight are O/D flights, splinting them between different concourses is not a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 07:47 PM

62 posts, read 94,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
A lot of people on the North side of the metro would rather not have to drive all the way through Atlanta to get to an airport.

Basically all flight would be available at Hartsfield. You seem to be buying the Delta propaganda. I don't see Southwest moving all their flights to another airport. The main airport has access to pretty much everywhere in all the US cities with multiple airports.

The only one harmed by a 2nd airport is Delta.
1. People on the north side might not like having to drive to the Atlanta airport, but they surely don't want that noise pollution in their backyard.
2. The Atlanta airspace is optimized for the Atlanta airport not any satellite airports (FTY, PDK, LZU, RYY) so you're going to be forcing jets to lower than optimal altitudes to get them beneath Atlanta arrivals and departures.
3. Here's a statistic for you that we are told at work. A minute in the air is equivalent to seven minutes taxiing on the ground. So the goal is to take aircraft from high altitudes and get them on the ground as soon as possible.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:55 PM

7,577 posts, read 10,720,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
American may not be in Concourse T for much longer, as United already has a set in stone plan to consolidate all operations in Concourse T, with construction of new gates already ongoing. American won't be able to fit all of its flights + US Airways flights into the gate space that it will have after the new gates for United are built, so the only options American will have are to either continue the split operation or to consolidate into Concourse D.

And clearly, Delta absolutely will not give up any gates in Concourse T, since they can fit widebody aircraft and are frequently used on premium transcontinental routes for the convenience of its O&D passengers.
I have to agree with flyonpa.

As a frequent flier out of Atlanta the access to the T-gates and their own baggage claim is a premium selling point for fliers to a few of the largest destinations in the country. It is very quick in-and-out for O&D fliers to top destinations.

My only complaint is AA, like most of their network, has been behind the times on overhauling aesthetics, user friendliness, and friendly staffing. They have made some headway on some of their planes though. However, their gate areas in ATL and the baggage claim area desperately needs a little bit of TLC.

This is something Delta has been excelling at recently... and not just in Atlanta or their hubs airports.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:31 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,805,265 times
Although I misunderstood the topic when I first entered this thread, it does not sound like a bad idea.

I thought we were talking about gates as opposed to runways which may be like one and the same. All I know is I should put on skates because I'm never close to the gate where I need to be after I get off the train. May as well add another one if it helps things move along faster and operate more efficiently.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:42 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,373,116 times
There has been an interesting development in the world airport statistics. I went to the Airports Council's website and they have updated statistics through May, I think. While for the month, O'Hare slightly outpaced Hartsfield in aircraft movements, Hartsfield was still ahead for the year by a significant margin. Moreover, Atlanta's growth was much higher. Something has taken the wind out of Dubai's sail somewhat. After posting double-digit growth rates of 15% at the time of the last update, Dubai's growth rate has slackened to 9.2%. Dubai's airport posted a -2.5% DECLINE for the last month data are available. Atlanta posted a growth rate of +3.4% for the same month. Beijing posted a growth of +0.6% for the month. I don't know what sucked the wind out of Dubai's sail but if this continues, Atlanta could potentially retain the world's busiest title for 2014 as it is ahead of Dubai by over 8,000,000 through May. However, this is a number that could be overtaken if Dubai returns to high growth.

O'Hare will up the ante soon also with new runways and better design. They have stated a goal of dethroning Atlanta and taking the title back. We're in the middle of airport warfare it seems-each one wants to be #1.

Last edited by AtlantaIsHot; 09-02-2014 at 12:54 AM..

Old 09-02-2014, 07:48 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,833,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The Only O/D traffic that would get "Split" out would be Non-Delta & SW . A 2nd airport would divide the O/D traffic from other airlines.
Why do you think Delta and S/W would not feel obligated to serve the 2nd Atlanta airport? They serve the 2nd airports in other cities. They will be forced to split their O/D traffic here too with a second airport.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:52 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,767,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyb03 View Post
1. People on the north side might not like having to drive to the Atlanta airport, but they surely don't want that noise pollution in their backyard.
2. The Atlanta airspace is optimized for the Atlanta airport not any satellite airports (FTY, PDK, LZU, RYY) so you're going to be forcing jets to lower than optimal altitudes to get them beneath Atlanta arrivals and departures.
3. Here's a statistic for you that we are told at work. A minute in the air is equivalent to seven minutes taxiing on the ground. So the goal is to take aircraft from high altitudes and get them on the ground as soon as possible.
Yes, there is a reason property on the southside is depressed compared to the northside.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:17 AM

124 posts, read 151,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
There has been an interesting development in the world airport statistics. I went to the Airports Council's website and they have updated statistics through May, I think. While for the month, O'Hare slightly outpaced Hartsfield in aircraft movements, Hartsfield was still ahead for the year by a significant margin. Moreover, Atlanta's growth was much higher. Something has taken the wind out of Dubai's sail somewhat. After posting double-digit growth rates of 15% at the time of the last update, Dubai's growth rate has slackened to 9.2%. Dubai's airport posted a -2.5% DECLINE for the last month data are available. Atlanta posted a growth rate of +3.4% for the same month. Beijing posted a growth of +0.6% for the month. I don't know what sucked the wind out of Dubai's sail but if this continues, Atlanta could potentially retain the world's busiest title for 2014 as it is ahead of Dubai by over 8,000,000 through May. However, this is a number that could be overtaken if Dubai returns to high growth.

O'Hare will up the ante soon also with new runways and better design. They have stated a goal of dethroning Atlanta and taking the title back. We're in the middle of airport warfare it seems-each one wants to be #1.
Dubai closed one of their two runways for two months for renovations so their #s were impacted a little in the short term.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:47 AM
bu2

23,916 posts, read 14,720,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyb03 View Post
Do you realize how inefficient those airports are compared to Atlanta?
Given how common it is to have to circle the Atlanta airport and how often you have to wait for gates on the runway, I would say its not too efficient for flyers. Maybe its efficient for Delta.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:43 AM

7,577 posts, read 10,720,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Given how common it is to have to circle the Atlanta airport and how often you have to wait for gates on the runway, I would say its not too efficient for flyers. Maybe its efficient for Delta.
no, it really is efficient.

More plans can get in and out of Hartsfield quicker and cheaper. Operations can be more streamlines, less staffing is needed. It is extremely efficient and the airport often wins awards for that. Many new airports are more or less copying the general layout of ATL to try to achieve this.

Check out various renderings for future site improvements to LAX as an example.

Also the circling really died away with the addition of the 5th runway some years back. The only time I ever circle now is due to weather events.... And that is with it being the busiest airport in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta