U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,485 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Alpharetta/Roswell/south forsyth for our special needs daughter from florida. We are highly interested in the lionheart school in Alpharetta and/or Jacobs ladder in Roswell. We understand that moving from out of state our daughter will need to be in a GA public school for 1 yr to be eligible for the GA scholarship SB 10. Anyone have information they can share about these schools and/or a good public school for a short term of a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 11:11 PM

13,165 posts, read 20,787,609 times
All the schools in the area you're considering are considered good, so narrow it down based on employment and budget.

You are aware that SB-10 pays a % of tuition, right? It was about 50% when a friend looked into it 6 years ago.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,485 times
Hi. Yes I'm aware of it being a %. Thanks!

Old 09-04-2014, 09:28 AM
bu2

9,993 posts, read 6,434,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriephil View Post
We are considering moving to Alpharetta/Roswell/south forsyth for our special needs daughter from florida. We are highly interested in the lionheart school in Alpharetta and/or Jacobs ladder in Roswell. We understand that moving from out of state our daughter will need to be in a GA public school for 1 yr to be eligible for the GA scholarship SB 10. Anyone have information they can share about these schools and/or a good public school for a short term of a year?
Heard positive things about both schools if they fit your child. Visit and talk to them about the profile of their students.

There are a bunch of special needs schools in Roswell and Alpharetta, each serving a little different niche (maybe you have already done some research and realize this). Porter, Hayden's Way, Cottage School, Mill Springs, Alexander Academy. I have heard positive things about these as well. There are about a half dozen others in the North Fulton area as well that may or may not be good.

If she is in public school for 1 year, you will be eligible. I don't know if she would be eligible with less time (1 semester?), but it might be worth checking out. These schools generally do rolling admissions.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:48 PM

13,165 posts, read 20,787,609 times
I'm assuming the OP is moving with a child on the autism spectrum. Mill Springs Academy is for students with ADD, ADHD, and some other learning disabilities. I wouldn't recommend the Cottage School, based on a friend's experience. Her daughter "earned" straight A's, so they thought she was getting an education. After trying to apply to colleges, they realized she was in no way prepared to go further academically.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:37 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,064,449 times
Quote:
Quote:
Hi. Yes I'm aware of it being a %. Thanks!
SB 10 is based on the level of services your child is receiving. If your child is mainstreamable, this amount is likely to be fairly low. And any time there are cuts to the state education budget, there are cuts to SB10. (Just want to make sure that you know all this, as if may be different in FL.)

What type of classroom is appropriate for your child -- mainstreamed, self contained or some mix?

Old 09-04-2014, 05:20 PM
bu2

9,993 posts, read 6,434,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm assuming the OP is moving with a child on the autism spectrum. Mill Springs Academy is for students with ADD, ADHD, and some other learning disabilities. I wouldn't recommend the Cottage School, based on a friend's experience. Her daughter "earned" straight A's, so they thought she was getting an education. After trying to apply to colleges, they realized she was in no way prepared to go further academically.
Cottage is very good at what it does (at least that is what I've heard from people who are involved in Special Needs Education). It is NOT intending to be a Woodward Academy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or