U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 06:14 AM

6,235 posts, read 5,070,160 times

Advertisements

The new interchange will be at McGinnis Ferry Road. IMO its needed considering all of the growth and development in the area.
BOC approves agreement for preliminary work on new I-85 interchange | Gwinnett Daily Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 06:17 AM

10,010 posts, read 9,301,941 times
Yay! This will be very helpful to the area.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:13 AM

8,285 posts, read 10,225,765 times
I guess....but I often use McGinnis Ferry as a "secret" way around that part of town. It's lack of access to I-85 keeps congestion at a minimum. I guess not for long!

Old 09-17-2014, 08:41 AM

4,376 posts, read 3,539,422 times
Looks like it will be along the lines of Steve Reynolds and Pleasant Hill with just access to the south for McGinnis Ferry. If it's like Steve Reynolds it won't be too bad. LVille Suwanee Road is a disaster zone. I hate whenever I have to deal with that exit which fortunately is not often. They just extended McGinnis Ferry across 85 not that long ago. I wonder if this was part of the plan the whole time.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:03 AM

4,351 posts, read 6,019,310 times
Will it really be helpful with just one exit NB and exit ramp SB?

Old 09-17-2014, 09:31 AM

23,317 posts, read 17,484,868 times
Has GDOT not learned about locating interchanges close together causing merging congestion, eg: Top-end perimeter.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:03 AM

5,419 posts, read 3,817,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Has GDOT not learned about locating interchanges close together causing merging congestion, eg: Top-end perimeter.
Those interchanges on 285 were built in the 1960s when there was little development there.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:13 AM

4,376 posts, read 3,539,422 times
Quote:

This is nearly 30 miles outside Atlanta on a route in and out of the Atlanta metro. Big difference from a bypass 15 miles out. And the set up is different from say the merging madness that is Ashford Dunwoody and Ptree Dunwoody. Traffic merging on won't have that same conflict with traffic getting off the freeway.

I haven't seen the official project, just the news article, but I hope they plan to tie the new ramps into the C/D lanes that start/end at Old Peachtree. I know eventually they plan to extend them to Hamilton Mill. They made a new Gravel Springs road overpass between MOG and Hamilton Mill that has room for those lanes outside of the mainlines. I also just saw signs about extending the HOT lanes, but I haven't heard anything else about it.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:53 AM

23,317 posts, read 17,484,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
This is nearly 30 miles outside Atlanta on a route in and out of the Atlanta metro. Big difference from a bypass 15 miles out. And the set up is different from say the merging madness that is Ashford Dunwoody and Ptree Dunwoody. Traffic merging on won't have that same conflict with traffic getting off the freeway.

I haven't seen the official project, just the news article, but I hope they plan to tie the new ramps into the C/D lanes that start/end at Old Peachtree. I know eventually they plan to extend them to Hamilton Mill. They made a new Gravel Springs road overpass between MOG and Hamilton Mill that has room for those lanes outside of the mainlines. I also just saw signs about extending the HOT lanes, but I haven't heard anything else about it.
If there is C/D lanes, then there will be little congestion issues with this new interchange.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:54 PM

6,561 posts, read 7,649,901 times
Quote:
If there is C/D lanes, then there will be little congestion issues with this new interchange.
CQ, you might want to take more time to look into the project. I know the picture in that article is small, but the answer is right there in front of you.

As for Perimeter Center interchanges, if they hadn't made the additional interchanges to help split traffic up coming from different directions onto the arterial streets the main ones, like Ashford-Dunwoody would be far worse and back up onto the freeway worse.

The issue there is a huge amount of travel demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or