Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 06:19 PM

605 posts, read 665,184 times

Advertisements

This might be news to some of you guys, but by and large no one cares who has the busiest airport. In the grand scheme of things this is just another statistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 06:29 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,372,398 times
How can they know this when the full year isn't up yet? ONLY the Airport Council certifies official airport statistics. Did this come from them?

I wouldn't get too used to it though. You knew it would surrender it someday. Dubai will probably overtake it in a few months.

Having the busiest airport in the world is a big boost to making a case for business locating in Georgia. It makes Atlanta a little taller in that major category. It also helps the entire south-NC advertises how close many of it's airports are to ATL. I dread it when it loses the title...

Old 09-17-2014, 06:30 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,820,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
This might be news to some of you guys, but by and large no one cares who has the busiest airport. In the grand scheme of things this is just another statistic.
And yet, it is important and interesting enough to warrant a mention during the 22 minutes that ABC allocates for national news every night.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:40 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,820,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
How can they know this when the full year isn't up yet? ONLY the Airport Council certifies official airport statistics. Did this come from them?
Perhaps you should have read the link to the story before posting?

Old 09-17-2014, 06:57 PM

7,576 posts, read 10,714,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
It might surprise Atlantans, but the rest of the country doesn't fuss about Atlanta and its airport.
Yea they just it more frequently than any other airport...

Old 09-17-2014, 07:00 PM

4,764 posts, read 5,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
Just say you don't care, but alot of aviation followers do care.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:06 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,099,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Yea they just it more frequently than any other airport...
But not likely by choice. I would intentionally avoid Atlanta for shorter taxi times.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
But not likely by choice. I would intentionally avoid Atlanta for shorter taxi times.
Do you EVER turn off the anti-Atlanta 'tude?? It really does not become a civilized human being... D**N!

Old 09-17-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Perhaps you should have read the link to the story before posting?
OK. I'll try to do better... LOL. I didn't realize you were the first perfect human ever and have NEVER, EVER been less than perfect... Even though I have other interests and don't allow lines on a forum disturb me much, I strive to be nothing but polite. But when you dish smut, you'll get it back double...

My point was basically that the entire year isn't up yet... They don't list them till the following year at the Airport Council. Reading the article MAY or MAY NOT answer that, but yes, I probably should've read it.

*Note: I did click and read it and it's 2013's total which is old news now.

Last edited by AtlantaIsHot; 09-17-2014 at 07:47 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 08:16 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,994,443 times
I can see why people would be surprised ATL is the busiest airport in the world. I think most people think it must be somewhere like Beijing by now, or maybe Tokyo took the title back.

I can also see why you may not know it after visiting the airport. For as many people as ATL handles, it does it spectacularly well. Security lines and congestion are much worse at airports that don't process nearly as many passengers. LAX, LaGuardia, O'Hare....they're all total disasters. ATL has good signage and trains that ensure you never have to walk ridiculous distances. I never understood why the plane train throws so many people off, it saves tons of walking and runs with much more frequency than other airport transit systems. What's the longest you ever have to wait for the train? 30 seconds?

The only areas of improvement I can really think of for ATL airport are more escalators up to the terminal and concourses from the train (sucks when you are in a hurry and stuck behind a line of people who don't know to stand to the right so people in a hurry can pass on the left). Also, I wish the airport had some type of directory for what shops and restaurants are in which concourses. If you have time to kill, you may want to eat somewhere in another concourse. As far as I know, there's no easy way to find this information out. I assume there is a master directory somewhere, but I've never seen it. It should be easy to find, like in the mall.

Finally, everybody knows that Atlanta has a hugely busy airport. I love Matt Groening's jokes.

From the Simpsons: Bart on bus ride to New York - "That took too long. How come we had to transfer in Atlanta twice?"
From Futurama: Upon discovering the lost, sunken city of Atlanta in the future - Amy: "So, Fry, Atlanta was an American city in your time?" Fry: "I think it was just an airport."

Anyone who doesn't know Atlanta has a busy and influential airport has been living under a rock. They should also know that there was a band called Nirvana and a hurricane flooded New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta