Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 11:10 AM

24 posts, read 38,373 times

Advertisements

It looks as though we have a 50/50 chance of relocating to AT area (I'd asked previously about acreage lots within reasonable commute to Cumberland) The move would be mid-year, and ideally we could transition our first grader into a similar-sized Christiqn school following Christmas break-- however reading the school threads is rather intimidating! The private schools of all sizes seem extraordinarily competitive with regards to admissions, plus it comes off as rather "posh" and exclusive. They are so expensive, too! I was surprised how many AT area schools command tuition way, way, way over $10k. Of course here there are expensive, competitive, and "upper crust" private schools, but there are also many middle-range, small Christian and independent private schools that, while not an easy-in, are more accessible and less intimidating to ordinary families who want to invest a bit more into kids' education than public schools offer.
Our current school has 250 kids, and is friendly, laid-back, and still maintains a strong academic reputation.
So... To families enrolled in private schools, and who are experienced with this, how difficult would you guess a mid-year transfer might be? There are so many schools to choose from, I don't even know how to narrow down a search! We've been told to look in east Cobb, Marietta, and even Holly Springs for a home, and I know that geographical area is pretty big.. I'd prefer a smallish Christian school, or a secular school with a traditional ethos.
Can anyone help me narrow down the search? Right now it feels like throwing a whole handful of darts at a giant map, hoping for the best.

Thanks kindly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 11:56 AM

616 posts, read 1,110,986 times
There are plenty of private schools like the ones you describe, but they will not be the "name brand" schools that you hear people talk about. And they will not be that competitive to get into mid-year.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:01 PM

1,708 posts, read 3,415,439 times
Also, if you want acreage lots that are not $1MM+ I assume you will be living well OTP ...in that case, there are a good amt of schools like you describe.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:32 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,378,059 times
It may be a matter of language.

"Private School" means $$$. Try searching for "Christian schools" - that seems to be more what you are looking for anyway.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:31 PM

2,239 posts, read 5,837,209 times
Many of the smaller private Christian schools will likely have mid-year openings, but you should start looking around as soon as possible. Sounds like you should focus on North Cobb County as a starting point. One that comes to mind is Mt. Paran Christian School. It's not 20K like the "elite" schools, but it is more than 10K. I'm sure there are small schools that are cheaper than that price point, but I'm just not sure who they are.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:05 PM

550 posts, read 986,949 times
I would consider public if you are going to be in East Cobb or similar. My kids have all had excellent experiences (coming from a small private school previously). And this area is overwhelmingly Christian--your child will be surrounded by children and families who are extremely active in their churches.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:39 PM

24 posts, read 38,373 times
Thanks, that helps narrow the field a bit. It's a scary prospect, and we're still on the fence about it!

Old 09-20-2014, 05:18 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,134,140 times
If you want a lot that is 1+ acre near Cumberland search in 30327.
There are plenty in the 500-700K range. They will be older (70s and 80s) but beautiful, wooded and many have at least an acre. The houses will be listed as Sandy Springs or Atlanta (that part of which is Buckhead). Not sure why someone said you have to go OTP. That is not the case for acreage lots.
Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaB View Post
It looks as though we have a 50/50 chance of relocating to AT area (I'd asked previously about acreage lots within reasonable commute to Cumberland) The move would be mid-year, and ideally we could transition our first grader into a similar-sized Christiqn school following Christmas break-- however reading the school threads is rather intimidating! The private schools of all sizes seem extraordinarily competitive with regards to admissions, plus it comes off as rather "posh" and exclusive. They are so expensive, too! I was surprised how many AT area schools command tuition way, way, way over $10k. Of course here there are expensive, competitive, and "upper crust" private schools, but there are also many middle-range, small Christian and independent private schools that, while not an easy-in, are more accessible and less intimidating to ordinary families who want to invest a bit more into kids' education than public schools offer.
Our current school has 250 kids, and is friendly, laid-back, and still maintains a strong academic reputation.
So... To families enrolled in private schools, and who are experienced with this, how difficult would you guess a mid-year transfer might be? There are so many schools to choose from, I don't even know how to narrow down a search! We've been told to look in east Cobb, Marietta, and even Holly Springs for a home, and I know that geographical area is pretty big.. I'd prefer a smallish Christian school, or a secular school with a traditional ethos.
Can anyone help me narrow down the search? Right now it feels like throwing a whole handful of darts at a giant map, hoping for the best.

Thanks kindly!

Old 09-21-2014, 07:21 PM

29 posts, read 34,151 times
There are a lot of options in the North suburban metro atlanta area. I live in south forsyth (just off McGinnis ferry which separates north Fulton and south Forsyth). The Bigger schools in the area are Pinecrest Academy and Kings Ridge. People on my neighborhood also attend friendship christian school, fideles christian,perimiter school and montessori options.

The smaller suburban schools will take children up until January if space permits. (Afterwards it is less likely).

Listed above are the options within a 10 mile radius of my home... So from my perspective!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta