Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 03:59 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

We're also hurting by refusing to expand Medicaid. Deal and the GOP-controlled legislature think they're sticking it to Obama by doing so but they're only sticking it to Georgians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 04:03 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
[quote=AtlantaIsHot;36563470]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

Georgia is not the least educated state. Other states fare much worse. The facts of Georgia's education levels have to do with the fact that the state is rapidly approaching 50% minority. Most of these minorities are Hispanics and Blacks. Blacks and Hispanics have VERY HIGH school drop-out rates and very low school performance. Over 50% of Black men fail to graduate from high school. Hispanics lag woefully behind in graduation rates and school performance. The Black and Hispanic populations show an incredible amount of disdain for education and schooling. Hispanics don't go to school in their own countries and they don't seem to want to here either...

No matter how much money is thrown at public schools and no matter how much testing is done, these facts will always drag down the test scores and education levels. Los Angeles is now one of the poorest big city in the nation. It used to be one of the richest. Orange County (the second largest county in the state) has seen it's households in poverty skyrocket over the last 30 years. California's economic fortunes are turning sour fast. The same fate awaits Georgia if these facts don't change. It is not the fault of "conservatives" and "Republicans" that Blacks and Hispanics don't wanna go to school...
Nice way to paint an entire demographic with such a broad brush.
Poor rural whites in majority poor white places like Jeff Davis County have as much to do with that as blacks do. Education across the board sucks in GA. Across the whole south really, I saw you mention NC earlier and I am in NC right now as well and a lot of these kids up here still dont have text books in class yet.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:10 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,507 times
In the past several years, the way businesses hire has drastically changed. No longer are job fairs, newspapers and mailing in a resume with a cover letter the main ways of getting an interview. Now you have to "network" on LinkedIn, know someone or apply online. HR depts use computer programs to sort applications, so many qualified people never get interviewed.
Retail applications (such as Tiffanys, Nordstroms, Macys) now use pages of personality tests to confuse people and weed out the numerous applications that they get. Employers are part of the problem with hiring practices that remove critical thinking from the initial process.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:13 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
Im am not surprised. With the flow of people bombarding Georgia..there's not enough jobs to go around.
[quote=oldschoolChevy;36564331]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post

Poor rural whites in majority poor white places like Jeff Davis County have as much to do with that as blacks do. Education across the board sucks in GA. Across the whole south really, I saw you mention NC earlier and I am in NC right now as well and a lot of these kids up here still dont have text books in class yet.
This thread could have been posted on the North Carolina forum and with a few names changed and replacing Georgia with "North Carolina" it would be a pretty accurate description of what's been happening here as well. A lot of the same backward thinking is holding or moving us back as well.

I think the problem lies in the perception that the Sunbelt "New South" is a mecca for jobs and cheap living. That perception was more accurate in the 1990's but not really as accurate today, at least across the board. Yet people still continue to move to the South with no job or a very clear plan on how they're going to sustain themselves thinking it's 1998 and they are just going to be able to walk in anywhere and be hired on the spot. It's crazy. Also, despite what many people on the far right will say, the places with labor laws that are heavily slanted against employees and where a strong anti-Union mentality exists (such as Georgia and North Carolina) aren't doing as well economically as many of the states with a more balanced legal system concerning employee relations/protections.

Oddly enough, the areas that used be seen as stagnant and hard to find employment (in the Great Plains) have been the places with low unemployment recently.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:14 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
We're also hurting by refusing to expand Medicaid. Deal and the GOP-controlled legislature think they're sticking it to Obama by doing so but they're only sticking it to Georgians.
yea I'm a little irked by the mentality that we as a state can't take our fair share of federal money on principal along, regardless of what someone thinks about the law in federal politics.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:17 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,861 times
[quote=AtlantaIsHot;36563470]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

Georgia is not the least educated state. Other states fare much worse. The facts of Georgia's education levels have to do with the fact that the state is rapidly approaching 50% minority. Most of these minorities are Hispanics and Blacks. Blacks and Hispanics have VERY HIGH school drop-out rates and very low school performance. Over 50% of Black men fail to graduate from high school. Hispanics lag woefully behind in graduation rates and school performance. The Black and Hispanic populations show an incredible amount of disdain for education and schooling. Hispanics don't go to school in their own countries and they don't seem to want to here either...

No matter how much money is thrown at public schools and no matter how much testing is done, these facts will always drag down the test scores and education levels. Los Angeles is now one of the poorest big city in the nation. It used to be one of the richest. Orange County (the second largest county in the state) has seen it's households in poverty skyrocket over the last 30 years. California's economic fortunes are turning sour fast. The same fate awaits Georgia if these facts don't change. It is not the fault of "conservatives" and "Republicans" that Blacks and Hispanics don't wanna go to school...

Quit talking so broadly... Sound like a fool

Old 09-19-2014, 04:24 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
[quote=coolieandre;36564475]
Quote:

Quit talking so broadly... Sound like a fool
Somehow that quote is linked to me....when I never said such BS. Please remove Indentured Servant from the source of your quote......

Old 09-19-2014, 04:26 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
[quote=oldschoolChevy;36564331]
Quote:

Again....the quote is NOT mine.....please remove me as the source of the quote. I don't want to be associated with such comments.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:36 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,526 times
Quote:
If politicians controlled economies you might do something by voting Deal out... The fact that Georgia's economy (and others like here in N.C.) is still pretty bad has nothing to do with what party the Governor belongs to. Economic market forces devastated Georgia and the U.S. America has been spinning it's wheels economically for over a decade. After the 2001 terrorist attacks we went into a tailspin that we have not gotten out of yet. It had nothing to do with who was sitting in that White House. People in the U.S. actually believe that presidents and governors have levers they pull to start and stop recessions and business cycles. Even supposedly educated people fall for this. America has had booms and busts under Democrats and Republicans. McKinley (R) saw the U.S. become the #1 industrial power, Hoover (R) saw the stock market plummet, Roosevelt (D) had the depression, Truman (D) had a recession and fell to 22% in polls and lost Democrat seats in Congress, Eisenhower (R) saw growth rates of 6% or 7% a year, Kennedy (D) saw growth continue at high rates, Johnson (D) saw continued growth and declared a War on Poverty, Carter (D) saw the economy stagnate under stagflation, Reagan (R) saw the second longest boom of all time at 8 years, Bush 1 (R) saw his approval rate plummet from 91% to 30% after recession struck and he raised taxes, Clinton (D) overtook Reagan's record in the 1990's and became the longest boom ever, Bush 2 (R) saw overall lower growth, Obama (D) has had lower growth still and a very weak recovery. I am a Republican but I know that they don't have magic economy dust either. And I give Democrats their just due...
In my opinion, it has been Republicans that have completely destroyed America. It was Richard Nixon (R) who ended the gold standard (We Still Need to Reform the Financial Industry). That alone is the biggest detriment to America.

It was Ronald Reagan (R) who destroyed began the decay of the Middle class by basically dismantling Unions - "Workers in the private sector had used the strike as a tool of leverage in labor-management conflicts between World War II and 1981, repeatedly withholding their work to win fairer treatment from recalcitrant employers. But after Patco, that weapon was largely lost. Reagan’s unprecedented dismissal of skilled strikers encouraged private employers to do likewise. Phelps Dodge and International Paper were among the companies that imitated Reagan by replacing strikers rather than negotiating with them. Many other employers followed suit.

By 2010, the number of workers participating in walkouts was less than 2 percent of what it had been when Reagan led the actors’ strike in 1952. Lacking the leverage that strikes once provided, unions have been unable to pressure employers to increase wages as productivity rises. Inequality has ballooned to a level not seen since Reagan’s boyhood in the 1920s (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/03/op...ions.html?_r=0).

It was Gorge Bush (Senior and Junior) (R) who sent America to war with a country that did not have "weapons of mass destruction" and racked up over a trillion dollars in deficit to fight these wars that not only will cost all of us (Tax Payers) for the rest of our lives but the war killed thousands of innocent Americans while lining the pockets of the other Repubs (Dick Chaney, etc.) (Judiciary Report - How George Bush Destroyed The US Economy).

Not to mention, the Federal Reserve (Which is not even apart of the U.S. Government) also has its hands in destroying America.

But one Republican that I do think is not a crook (Ron Paul). The rest of America turns their nose up to him because he tells the truth (Mostly):

“Congress created the Fed although it had no constitutional authority to do so,” Paul told his peers during a recent House investigative meeting. “We forget that those powers not explicitly granted to Congress by the Constitution are inherently denied to the Congress and thus the authority to establish a central bank was never given.

“Congress… has essentially given up its oversight responsibilities over the Fed: there are no true audits; Congress knows nothing of the conversations, the plans, and the action-taking in concert with other central banks. We get less and less information regarding the money supply each year,” Paul continued (http://rt.com/usa/the-great-bank-robbery-how-the-federal-reserve-is-destroying-america/).

In the end, I think all current politicians (Republicans and Democrats) should be ousted and replaced with a new breed that are for the people. Lobbyists should be banished for good along with the Federal Reserve.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:56 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times
It seems like red states are always at the bottom of the barrel...education, health and wealth wise. I wonder why that is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta