Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 02:13 PM

130 posts, read 210,198 times

Advertisements

Arrests and no details given are becoming the norm for all of these armed police units that arent even city or county cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 10:35 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Driving a car faster than the speed limit...
The examples you cited are civil infractions. I mentioned that I would be fine with this being a civil infraction. Since it is not, the arrest was completely appropriate.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:04 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
I try to have a sense of empathy. Now, if I were at the airport and let's say my purse went missing. How would I get home? I haven't learned a phone number in ten years so I would not even be able to call anyone from a pay phone (assuming I could find one) for a Western Union or a ride without the cell phone. (Well, I could call my parents, but that is not illustrating the point I'm making.) I don't know how I could get past that Delta station to the train, but if the opportunity presented itself and I was in a bind, I might give it a try. One thing for sure though is that if caught, I would not want to go to jail over $2.50.
That is against the law and do not be surprised if you are arrested. And how would you lose something as important as a purse? Also, there is a RiseStore at the Airport Station, so I am sure they could figure something out to help you.
Quote:
Arrests and no details given are becoming the norm for all of these armed police units that arent even city or county cops.
Technically, MARTA is a state agency so these are state level officers.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:20 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The examples you cited are civil infractions. I mentioned that I would be fine with this being a civil infraction. Since it is not, the arrest was completely appropriate.
Obviously they're different and treated differently but it's still low level. I'm not denying that the fare jumper can get arrested due to the difference in laws. I'm saying he shouldn't (from what we know in the article). If you drive in the HOT lane without a PeachPass you're essentially doing the same thing. You're avoiding paying for using the lane. Or if it's complete toll road. You're using a road without paying for it and evading the toll. You won't get arrested but you will get a citation and fine. I'm saying that there's a better way of handling it without costing taxpayers so much. Those toll evasions on the roads are minor and treated as such without an arrest. Fare evasion is equally minor and should be treated as such. It's not ignoring it or forgiving it.

DART already does this.
"Exact fare required on all buses. No change made. Failure to produce a valid ticket or pass constitutes fare evasion and is punishable by an administrative penalty of up to $100 or a Class C misdemeanor violation with a fine not to exceed $500." Bottom of this page.

This states that fare evasion and HOV lane violations are treated the same. No arrest needed. Just pay your fine.
"If you received a citation for fare evasion, single occupant or crossing a double white line, then please be advised that the citation charges you with a violation of a state law. Anytime you are charged with an offense you have the right to consult an attorney, the right to a jury trial if you want one, and the right to plead not guilty. "

This short piece mentions a time where the author witnessed someone get a citation for fare evasion (but not arrested). It's actually a piece on race, the white author wasn't even cited, she was given a 2nd chance to pay at the next station but that's besides my point. Fare evasion, still punished, but not arrested.

Citations for minor crimes are issued quite often anyway without an arrest. I saw this while in college in Texas. Every once in a while on game day some minors get caught with alcohol. MIP citations were issued but no arrests made. I remember this just last year. Cop poured out their pack of peer and gave them citations. They weren't arrested but were cited. Public intoxication sometimes results in arrests but sometimes they can be released to a sober individual. Noise violations are common charges that require a court visit, but no arrest. It's still punishing crimes but without costly arrests.
I know that fare jumping is punishable by arrest, but like other things, it can be punished without an arrest.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:47 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
How do we know that this guy jumped the fare with the intention of committing a much worse crime, like a purse snatch or armed robbery? By arresting this guy MARTA PD could have stopped a much more serious crime from happening. And I am sure this is not his first offense. Remember, under the new code of conduct, if a user is banned from the system and found to be on the system again, they can be arrested.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:12 AM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How do we know that this guy jumped the fare with the intention of committing a much worse crime, like a purse snatch or armed robbery? By arresting this guy MARTA PD could have stopped a much more serious crime from happening. And I am sure this is not his first offense. Remember, under the new code of conduct, if a user is banned from the system and found to be on the system again, they can be arrested.
This has to be the silliest argument I have read in a while. Everything we don't know, leads to something we don't know. Until we DO KNOW more information about the circumstances, fare evasion should not warrant an arrest. Providing no information is release or revealed, I think this is a terrible use of police resources and taxpayer money. Write the guy a ticket and go back to policing the fantasy purse snatchers and armed robberies on MARTA.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:57 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
If any of us walked into a store and put an item in our pocket and walked out, we would be arrested for shop lifting, so this is pretty much the same scenario. But this is the problem with America, lock people up for everything. Many cops I know will even admit, locking people up for everything is NOT the answer.

Honestly this man should have been stopped by the police, taken to a side room and written a ticket for $50-100 or whatever MARTA feels will send a message to someone for not paying their fare, but then we get into the unpaid tickets being warrants for arrest and the people still end up in jail in the end.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:04 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
If any of us walked into a store and put an item in our pocket and walked out, we would be arrested for shop lifting, so this is pretty much the same scenario. But this is the problem with America, lock people up for everything. Many cops I know will even admit, locking people up for everything is NOT the answer.

Honestly this man should have been stopped by the police, taken to a side room and written a ticket for $50-100 or whatever MARTA feels will send a message to someone for not paying their fare, but then we get into the unpaid tickets being warrants for arrest and the people still end up in jail in the end.
Your overall premise is correct, our society incarcerates too many people, but if you steal a 2.50 candy bar APD is most likely writing you a ticket.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:23 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That is against the law and do not be surprised if you are arrested. And how would you lose something as important as a purse? Also, there is a RiseStore at the Airport Station, so I am sure they could figure something out to help you...
When I said "purse went missing", I was inferring that it was stolen. It has never happened to me before, but quite frankly that's just by grace. Sometimes between pushing the cart and waiting for luggage, I can get a bit lax. Straps everywhere, can't figure out what's carry-on from purse, gotta damn near strip to get on the plane so in short, things can happen.

I do not know what a RiseStore is, but I'm sure it must be inconvenient as hell to get to. I am clearly stating that even though I cannot see how I would get past that gate to get to the train that if I didn't have any funds, I'd try.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:09 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Its a RideStore Not Risestore.... It right inside the Marta Airport Station, Next to the Marta Entrance gates.

Honestly I think you would find alot of other passenger willing to buy you a breeze Card and a $2.50 Fare to get you home.

Hours
Monday - Friday
6:30am - 10:30pm

Saturday, Sunday
7:30am - 10:30pm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta