U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:28 PM

145 posts, read 118,709 times

Advertisements

Great insights Netdragon.

Just got back from the meeting. Lots of opposition from the neighbors I met, mostly centered on traffic concerns. They seem legit considering what I experience every morning. Below are some notes I took:

- using the same architect as Traton townhomes located near Belmont Hills
- 19 units facing Church Rd will be 3 stories in height, garages in the back, price point of 190 to 200k
- 30 back units will be 2 story, with garages faces forward, 2100 sf, price point of 220 to 250k
- will have a decel lane for westbound traffic
- only one entrance located between Surrey Park and Huntington
- will build a walking trail near the creek that runs parallel to the road
- proposed designs looked high end with stoops similar to Surrey Park

I stayed late to chat up Susan Wilkinson while she waited for the city to pick up the chairs. There are concerns about the easement between the sidewalk and the 19 proposed 3 story homes being shrunk down to 20 and 10 feet, the latter is smaller due to the proposed decel lane. Also, there is apparently some confusion between the zoning of the flood plain as it is zoned R-15 for medium density yet it cannot be built upon. Some thinking is that it was zoned prior to being designated flood zone, thus allowing Venture Homes to increase the density on the 4.5 acres as the rule accounts for the entire property purchased, regardless of development size. Both common areas and flood plain land will be deeded to the HOA once Venture moves out of the community.

As an aside, the question of what else can be done with this property was squashed by Venture Homes by citing that the city had no interest in developing the flood plain. Susan seems to think that ruling occured when the developable land was under contract, and the city only considered the flood plain in their analysis. She alsocited studies suggesting Smyrna increase park land use by 30%. One would be curious if the city would consider all 13 acres and develop another park extending west of South Cobb; possibly a better use case?

However, I do agree getting more roofs in the city will help bring in more discretionary income, leading to newer amenities and restaurants, etc. Overall, we do see a lot of Townhomes being built in lieu of single, detached homes. Between this, Smyrna Grove, Belmont Hills, the 2 new developments off South Cobb and the possibility of Belmont Associates developing at Atlanta Rd (see my other thread), I get the sense that 1) a lot of builders are front running the Braves stadium development and 2) there may be a lot of inventory coming on-line at the same time which may not reflect current or future demand trends. If I were buying a townhome in the next 3 years, what would make the Church Rd development more attractive?

I've packed A Lot in this response, but any additional thoughts would be welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Last edited by RedClear55; 10-01-2014 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 01:48 AM

3,615 posts, read 6,287,393 times
It's good they'll have stoops. Will the walking trail along Church Rd cross the stream-buffer? I guess the trail won't provide access to the floodplain land at the present time, but with a trail crossing the stream buffer, the HOA could do it in the future.

I think the concerns about traffic are overblown when these people are almost on South Cobb Dr, and probably not leaving all at once but over a few hours time.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:40 PM

Looking at the plan outlines they brought, they are only developing the walking trail east of where the two creeks intersect towards the Primrose school. They are pretty much leaving the west 8 acres untouched.

Most of the traffic concerns came from residents of Surrey and Huntington. They claim difficulty simply getting onto Church Rd in the morning. I can attest that traffic backs up west passed Brookside Park in the mornings. I asked about expanding Old Concord between Church and Concord, mainly if a left turn lane could be added turning north onto Concord, along with side walks. It appears that falls under Cobb County and would not be addressable by the city. However, one resident has found an online form process and is looking to discuss directly with Bob Ott.

Heading to the public hearing tomorrow... First time doing this sort of thing. Looking forward to the new experience.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:03 AM

Follow up from the hearing... City voted to approve. A lot of neighbors showed up to contest, mostly based on traffic claims. It was definitely interesting and at times entertaining. Susan was the only Nay vote based on concerns about the rezoning for the street facing units to be much closer to Church Rd. Her thought is that it would limit the ability to widen the road at some point in the future.

I believe all that is left would be for the updated FEMA maps to get approved which would allow them to start building on what is currently flood zone.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:00 PM

33 posts, read 11,194 times
I have a major issue with these town homes starting in the 100's. The townhomes right up the street on South Cobb are starting in the high 200's. There is no new construction on Church in that low of a price point. I am concerned about the property value.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:11 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,995,179 times
If you're concerned about the property value, then put your place up for sale and move.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:32 AM

28,101 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
If you're concerned about the property value, then put your place up for sale and move.
Tarzanman, I think it's legit to be concerned about property values in your area and to work to maintain and/or increase them.

Many cities, including Atlanta, have suffered mightily when folks just pulled up stakes and moved away.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:32 PM

33 posts, read 11,194 times
No need to be rude. If it was that easy to sellhomes, all homes would be immediately sold. Spare me the unhelpful comments.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:58 PM

4,981 posts, read 5,742,277 times
Not to be rude, but you joined city data to revive an old thread.

"Starting in the 100s" is not accurate. The comments below say the low end ones start in the "$190 to" range
which means most likely ALL of them will be above $200,000.

These are townhomes, not single family homes. Does everything new have to to be in the $300-400,000 range (or more). That's insane.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:37 PM

To be fair, the sign says "High 100s" where the numbers are significantly larger than the words. At a passing glance, you could assume they start in the 100s.

Sean with Venture Homes promised high quality, so I am hopeful that the only unit selling in the high 100s is the one sold facing Church Rd next to the entrance. Time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or