Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 06:33 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,257,952 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're a family of four moving to Atlanta. My husband will be working at 2600 Satellite in Duluth. We can pay up to $1900/mo rent and don't want to buy initially.

Is there anywhere that each home is on an acre or so and offers some room? In other words, not "cookie" style homes?

He really doesn't want his commute to go beyond 20 or 25 mins.

We homeschool so schools aren't too much of an issue, but we're huge safety nuts.

We also love libraries, pools (for fun not swim team) and walking on paths.

Thanks,

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 10:07 PM

7,576 posts, read 10,718,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Hi,

We're a family of four moving to Atlanta. My husband will be working at 2600 Satellite in Duluth. We can pay up to $1900/mo rent and don't want to buy initially.

Is there anywhere that each home is on an acre or so and offers some room? In other words, not "cookie" style homes?

He really doesn't want his commute to go beyond 20 or 25 mins.

We homeschool so schools aren't too much of an issue, but we're huge safety nuts.

We also love libraries, pools (for fun not swim team) and walking on paths.

Thanks,

Alley
I would head up to Buford, but choose an exit past GA 20 (traffic is just too bad near the Mall of Georgia).

Or

Look east of Lawrenceville down Sugarloaf Pkwy. Somewhere between Grayson and Dacula. There are alot of cookie cutter neighborhoods popping up, but there is a rural landscape in between with many homes on large lots.

It is a pretty nice, quiet area with large parks (tribble mill for example). Schools like Grayson or Archer HS are great... if you ever want to use them.

The only thing I don't know is how much those rent for.

With traffic you're looking at a 20-30 minute commute depending on exact location.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:40 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,899,313 times
You're in luck with that work location. The worst traffic on 85 starts just south of that point. There are a few areas I think might work for you. Up 85 near Hamilton Mill or even farther to Braselton/Hoschton. The Braselton area definitely has more of rural/exurban feel than the suburbs you'll find in Gwinnett close to work. 85 at the worst times can be bad that far out, it really needs to be widened but a lot of times it's busy without delays. For parks/libraries I think you're better off in Gwinnett. I live there and I find the public parks and libraries to be plentiful and of good quality. Like cwkimbro said, east of Lawrenceville. 316 goes right to that area where work would be. There's a slow down spot at the intersection of GA 20 but they're building an overpass now to help that. 316 from Dacula to the east also has that rural feel to it. You could even go towards Winder in Barrow County but I'm not sure about the parks or libraries. They recently extended Sugarloaf Parkway from GA 20 south of Lawrenceville to 316. That area would be nice. Or you can go farther to the south towards Grayson or even Loganville. All nice areas and safe. Only downside is traffic lights can back things up during rush hour. Especially on Sugarloaf Parkway. 30 minutes for a commute could easily be a possibility.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:54 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,938,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
You're in luck with that work location. The worst traffic on 85 starts just south of that point. There are a few areas I think might work for you. Up 85 near Hamilton Mill or even farther to Braselton/Hoschton. The Braselton area definitely has more of rural/exurban feel than the suburbs you'll find in Gwinnett close to work. 85 at the worst times can be bad that far out, it really needs to be widened but a lot of times it's busy without delays. For parks/libraries I think you're better off in Gwinnett. I live there and I find the public parks and libraries to be plentiful and of good quality. Like cwkimbro said, east of Lawrenceville. 316 goes right to that area where work would be. There's a slow down spot at the intersection of GA 20 but they're building an overpass now to help that. 316 from Dacula to the east also has that rural feel to it. You could even go towards Winder in Barrow County but I'm not sure about the parks or libraries. They recently extended Sugarloaf Parkway from GA 20 south of Lawrenceville to 316. That area would be nice. Or you can go farther to the south towards Grayson or even Loganville. All nice areas and safe. Only downside is traffic lights can back things up during rush hour. Especially on Sugarloaf Parkway. 30 minutes for a commute could easily be a possibility.
Braselton/Hoschton is really pushing it as far as times are concerned. Without traffic, it takes at LEAST 30 minutes to get from Exit 129 to Steve Reynolds and Beaver Ruin exits in the vicinity of Satellite. I personally know about that. With traffic, more like 45+. Most of the time, there is annoying traffic (as people don't know how to get out of the left lane) but not quite bumper to bumper or stopped during off peak hours. It DOES stop more than it should, particularly at Hamilton Mill and points inward during rush hour though.

Also, there is a stress point (of traffic) at 85 & 316 after it merges. ..and of course, as mentioned, God, I hate the traffic around GA 20. At 316 or 85. Horrific.

Keep your search within Gwinnett. That's my advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta