Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 10:33 AM

52 posts, read 74,096 times

Advertisements

Who cares? This should be an example of people voting for candidate. Should you only vote for your race? smh. These racists posts are stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 10:42 AM

37,816 posts, read 41,609,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
EDIT- and then I read the quote in Mutiny's post. Slate of Eight... pathetic and regressive.
Am I missing something here?

Old 09-30-2014, 12:08 PM

758 posts, read 1,096,483 times
The reason for the fact that many municipalities have white elected officials, while their residents are overwhelmingly minorities is two fold and the first three paragraphs cover both:
1. In most of these cities, and this was brought out in the case of Ferguson, MO, a large portion (if not the majority) of the minority residents rent their homes or apartments and are therefore transient and often have not been in the town long enough to become familiar with the local city hall and its elected officials.
2. The municipal elections are held in off years - as the lady in the third paragraph of the article says, "I only vote in major elections."

As a result, those who do vote tend to be older, white homeowners who have lived in the community for 20 years or more. I would venture to guess that this is exactly the situation in Conyers which has been experiencing a demographic transformation as blacks have moved further east from DeKalb County in to Rockdale and now into Newton County. The whites who are still there tend to be older, empty nesters. I say this because the schools are in Rockdale County are probably about 2/3 minority students.

The article further substantiates my point that since most of the residents are renters they are not as engaged in the community. The article states: "The city’s homeownership rate is 38 percent, compared with a 66 percent rate for Georgia as a whole."

Conyers City Manager, David Spann extrapolates how this affects the politics: "When you have rental people, this is nothing against them, but they’re not as involved in the community,” Mr. Spann said.

By contrast, the article states: "In 2012, an all-black “Slate of Eight” candidates, all of them Democrats running against white Republicans, won most of the elected positions in county government. Before the election, a door-hanger was distributed with their faces prominently displayed, as well as the message “Support our President; Elect Rockdale Democrats on November 6th.”

In other words, I am not so sure that the majority of black residents of Conyers would vote for the white officials if they were on the ballot during a Presidential election - the fact that there are still white elected officials seems to be more of a turnout issue in an off year election rather than a ringing endorsement of the status quo.

There are numerous other Atlanta suburbs which have a similar situation as Conyers where you have had a large number of blacks move into the community yet the elected officials are almost all white. In most of these towns, their municipal elections are held in off years with usually less than 20% of eligible voters showing up to vote. As a result, the city governments vote for restrictions on apartment construction as they reflect the sentiments of those who even bothered to go to the polls (the homeowners.)

Old 09-30-2014, 12:35 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,213,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Am I missing something here?
Not you, the quote!

Old 09-30-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Not you, the quote!
What was "pathetic and regressive" about it?

Old 09-30-2014, 01:56 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,213,341 times
I took the quote about showing the faces of the candidates as promoting voting for the candidates based on the color of their skin.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:39 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,973,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Here's a very good critique of NY Times' agenda-driven article via City Journal-

Ferguson’s Unasked Questions
In the Missouri city and elsewhere, the media clings to predetermined conclusions.
The most ubiquitous "Ferguson is racist" meme was the most familiar: the police force is "too white". Four of Ferguson's 53 officers are black. This imbalance must be the result of racism and must itself cause racist enforcement activity. How many qualified black applicants to the force applied and were rejected? Not an interesting question, apparently.

Ferguson's population is two-thirds black, but five of its six city council members are white, as is its mayor. Conclusion: this racial composition must be the product of racism. Never mind that blacks barely turn out to vote and field practically no candidates. Never mind that the mayor ran for a second term unopposed. Is there a record of Ferguson's supposed white power structure suppressing the black vote? None has been alleged. Did the rioters even know who their mayor and city council representatives were? The press didn't bother to ask. But this "problem" is disturbingly widespread, in the media's eyes: MOSTLY BLACK CITIES, MOSTLY WHITE CITY HALLS, announced a New York Times front-page story on September 29, complete with a sophisticated scatter-graph visual aid.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Here's a very good critique of NY Times' agenda-driven article via City Journal-

Ferguson’s Unasked Questions
In the Missouri city and elsewhere, the media clings to predetermined conclusions.
The most ubiquitous "Ferguson is racist" meme was the most familiar: the police force is "too white". Four of Ferguson's 53 officers are black. This imbalance must be the result of racism and must itself cause racist enforcement activity. How many qualified black applicants to the force applied and were rejected? Not an interesting question, apparently.

Ferguson's population is two-thirds black, but five of its six city council members are white, as is its mayor. Conclusion: this racial composition must be the product of racism. Never mind that blacks barely turn out to vote and field practically no candidates. Never mind that the mayor ran for a second term unopposed. Is there a record of Ferguson's supposed white power structure suppressing the black vote? None has been alleged. Did the rioters even know who their mayor and city council representatives were? The press didn't bother to ask. But this "problem" is disturbingly widespread, in the media's eyes: MOSTLY BLACK CITIES, MOSTLY WHITE CITY HALLS, announced a New York Times front-page story on September 29, complete with a sophisticated scatter-graph visual aid.
Actually the article touched on all those things.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:08 AM

2,055 posts, read 2,555,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaComment View Post
He is referencing the incident where the new Clayton sheriff illegally fired all of their white police officers - who then sued and won at enormous cost to the county.

This incident + the loss of school accreditation rapidly accelerated the downward spiral in Clayton county.

Falling off a cliff may even be an understatement.
Careful now, with those facts you present. It's clear to me, that the divisions in this nation, not just tiny Clayton County, Georgia, are worse now after 8 years of Hope and Change than they were since in the 1960's.

There is a point being made by this thread, and I've read all the comments: government based on nothing other than race will fail. The leaders elected or appointed must be qualified and in servitude to their constituents. not just a "party".

To me, this is the one and only reason that Trump can be successful: If he truly wants the best for America, and this isn't some other agenda he has.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Careful now, with those facts you present. It's clear to me, that the divisions in this nation, not just tiny Clayton County, Georgia, are worse now after 8 years of Hope and Change than they were since in the 1960's.
Gee, I wonder why that's the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta