Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:24 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,416,321 times

Advertisements

I would guess in my neighborhood that maybe 1 out of 10 houses have an AJC subscription. AJC subscribers are way down from what it used to be some years ago before the Internet was way more prevalent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 09:25 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,284,511 times
I grew up with the AJC as my parents were fanatical subscribers to them.

I still read it on occasion.

Though I do wish that they didn't trip over themselves to cater so aggressively to the NIMBY/Stepford Wive crew.

But I suppose given this newfangled information age and the plethora of options for receiving news...it can't be helped.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:32 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,971,971 times
Are you kidding, Newsboy?

That's ridiculous!

The relationship between writer and copy editor should never be long distance. There is just too much communication that has to happen between them. And when you are dealing with local issues, intimate knowledge of the area is often required to make sure the story reads right and everything is spelled correctly.

This is a really stupid way to run a local newspaper. Plus, I'm sure those copy editors in Dayton are totally overworked and pressured to churn out as much stuff as quickly as possible. What a shame.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:42 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,086,463 times
I can't stand Luckovich's blatant anti-Republicanism and how he sucks up to Obama. Luckovich is so far to the left, he needs to move to Britain so he can drive on the roads.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:44 AM

124 posts, read 151,445 times
Newspaper revenues have collapsed since the dawn of the internet. The current shoddy product is the end result of the long term collapse in revenue.

The state of the AJC and other once decent newspapers is sad, but they really can't afford the staffing levels of the past.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:29 AM

10,733 posts, read 13,273,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I can't stand Luckovich's blatant anti-Republicanism and how he sucks up to Obama. Luckovich is so far to the left, he needs to move to Britain so he can drive on the roads.
I love Luckovich. He's so blatantly correct and supports the good guys. Texas is so far right, Gov. Perry wants to secede! C'mon, Mathman.

By the way, headed to Dallas today for my monthly pilgrimage.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:45 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,370,230 times
Sadly, this isn't unique to the AJC... Have you noticed an overall decline in English skills and journalism lately? I cannot understand news stories anymore... I have to read it several times to make sense out of it. The way they jump around with the facts, and the haphazard way they report the names of people... By the time you get to the end you've forgotten who's who. I've known English skills were declining for years but now the effects of this are appearing in journalism.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:17 PM

31,994 posts, read 36,533,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I like the AJC and can overlook the occasional typo. We all make them.
I also like the AJC. I read it online but still like my Sunday delivery.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:47 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,369,789 times
I actually refused to take the AJC seriously when I moved here. It was so fluffy compared to the papers I grew up with. And that was almost 20 years ago at this point.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:58 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,381,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Sadly, this isn't unique to the AJC... Have you noticed an overall decline in English skills and journalism lately? I cannot understand news stories anymore... I have to read it several times to make sense out of it. The way they jump around with the facts, and the haphazard way they report the names of people... By the time you get to the end you've forgotten who's who. I've known English skills were declining for years but now the effects of this are appearing in journalism.
It may be due to the hiring of younger, cheaper people and laying off and not trying to retain older, more experienced people who could share their knowledge and train the younger staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta