Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 10:26 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
Why is Boston on there twice?
It's super duper safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 10:32 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I really find that hard to believe. I was frightened for my life as a pedestrian in Atlanta. I was walking in downtown Dallas with friends during the spring. They would laugh at me because whenever we had to cross the street I would run. I didn't realize I was doing it but it was a habit I had developed living in Atlanta (especially Buckhead) to avoid being hit by cars because drivers would never stop for me despite having the light and being the crosswalk. They would even get belligerent with me when I had the right of way.

Hit and runs and pedestrian deaths are a big problem in the Atlanta metro. Case in point:

Georgia Tech Grad Loses Foot After Hit-and-Run

How is Atlanta a top 10 safe city for pedestrians when it still doesn't have sidewalks throughout?
I'd keep running if I were you and would encourage your friends to do the same; in the list I posted in my previous post, Dallas doesn't fare much better than Atlanta at all and certainly has its fair share of pedestrian-related accidents:

Hit-and-run in Uptown Dallas injures pedestrian | Dallas Morning News
Pedestrian struck by car, killed in northeast Dallas | Dallas Morning News
Dallas police investigating fatal hit-and-run in east Oak Cliff | Dallas Morning News

Both are predominantly auto-oriented cities so pedestrian safety is a real concern in both.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:56 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
this can only be because we have less actual pedestrians walking around than pretty much every other city on the list except LA.
Bingo!

Old 10-07-2014, 01:14 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Another factor is that Atlanta pedestrians are very agile compared to those in other cities.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:24 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Wasn't Buford Hwy named the most dangerous road in America for pedestrians?

Old 10-07-2014, 09:14 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd keep running if I were you and would encourage your friends to do the same; in the list I posted in my previous post, Dallas doesn't fare much better than Atlanta at all and certainly has its fair share of pedestrian-related accidents:

Hit-and-run in Uptown Dallas injures pedestrian | Dallas Morning News
Pedestrian struck by car, killed in northeast Dallas | Dallas Morning News
Dallas police investigating fatal hit-and-run in east Oak Cliff | Dallas Morning News

Both are predominantly auto-oriented cities so pedestrian safety is a real concern in both.
Interestingly enough when I'm on foot anywhere in Dallas-Ft. Worth, drivers always stop and let me cross. I haven't encountered any belligerence from drivers as a pedestrian here yet. But then, they do have more sidewalks here too.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:18 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
As a matter of fact, I saw I guy get hit on the corner of Roswell Rd and Hammond Drive in August. Now, that seemed like a pretty safe stretch of road with sidewalks and roughly three bus stops. The guy was crossing the street and the car to the left of me was making a left turn. I had never seen anything like that in my life; the guy flew up in the air and fell into the BP gas station entrance.

You could tell the driver was considering whether to drive off, and these two guys in a pick-up truck next to me in the lane on my right starting yelling out the window that if he took off, they were going after him. Complete chaos!

Anyway, it just doesn't seem all that safe for pedestrians.
I used to live over there and had to cross there daily. Every day i feared getting hit.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:50 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Another factor is that Atlanta pedestrians are very agile compared to those in other cities.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:08 PM

605 posts, read 804,801 times
I'm sure Margaret Mitchell would disagree.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:20 AM

31 posts, read 36,036 times
I find this a little hard to believe as well. There is also the factor of safe from WHAT. Safe from cars? Debatable.... safe from other dangers of the streets in comparison to other cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta