U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 04:41 AM

29,780 posts, read 27,214,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
White flight from Gwinnett might be more accurate
I could be wrong, but I don't think that's the case either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 09:50 AM

7,309 posts, read 10,038,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think that's the case either.
I put a little face outside it to denote there was a little humor in it.

No, not white flight in the case of 60s and 70s white flight. More of a suburban congestion white flight. I certainly saw that in Cobb. Folks who had lived in the county for decades started moving further out. The reasons are varied.... some might be trying to get to "whiter" areas but most were looking for more bang for the buck house and land wise. Some just got tired of increased congestion and wanted a little more elbow room.

You can no longer make a case for the core of Atlanta being the hub for all things Atlanta. Cobb and Gwinnett are major job centers, many people choosing to live in these outer counties are not commuting all the way into Atlanta. I knew many that lived in Bartow, Cherokee and Paulding that commuted to jobs in Cobb. I am sure much of Hall's growth is similar and it is seeing growth as a suburb of Gwinnett as opposed to a suburb of Atlanta, if such distinctions could be made.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:24 AM

29,293 posts, read 26,226,966 times
One of the great things about the ATL is that we are multifocal with numerous job, living and cultural centers.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I put a little face outside it to denote there was a little humor in it.

No, not white flight in the case of 60s and 70s white flight. More of a suburban congestion white flight. I certainly saw that in Cobb. Folks who had lived in the county for decades started moving further out. The reasons are varied.... some might be trying to get to "whiter" areas but most were looking for more bang for the buck house and land wise. Some just got tired of increased congestion and wanted a little more elbow room.
That makes sense.

Quote:
You can no longer make a case for the core of Atlanta being the hub for all things Atlanta. Cobb and Gwinnett are major job centers, many people choosing to live in these outer counties are not commuting all the way into Atlanta. I knew many that lived in Bartow, Cherokee and Paulding that commuted to jobs in Cobb. I am sure much of Hall's growth is similar and it is seeing growth as a suburb of Gwinnett as opposed to a suburb of Atlanta, if such distinctions could be made.
I don't think of Gwinnett as purely a bedroom county--it's too big for that--but I also don't really think of it as a major regional jobs center either. There's Peachtree Corners of course, and a few business parks here and there, but otherwise it has nothing on the scale of Perimeter, Cumberland, or Alpharetta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
One of the great things about the ATL is that we are multifocal with numerous job, living and cultural centers.
It's a double-edged sword for sure; the downside of this is that our infrastructure has not kept pace.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I don't think of Gwinnett as purely a bedroom county--it's too big for that--but I also don't really think of it as a major regional jobs center either. There's Peachtree Corners of course, and a few business parks here and there, but otherwise it has nothing on the scale of Perimeter, Cumberland, or Alpharetta.
According to the latest census estimates, Gwinnett is home to just over 295k non farm jobs. Cobb in comparison has 303k. So not having a major edge city like Cobb (Cumberland) does not mean it isn't a place chock full of employment.

Gwinnett County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 10-26-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
According to the latest census estimates, Gwinnett is home to just over 295k non farm jobs. Cobb in comparison has 303k. So not having a major edge city like Cobb (Cumberland) does not mean it isn't a place chock full of employment.

Edit above, figure is for PRIVATE non farm employment, so government jobs are not included methinks. But in comparison, DeKalb is showing on the same site (You can click on the box at top and see any Georgia county's figures) only has 252k private non farm jobs. That is a shocker. Fulton in comparison has 702k. No surprise there. But keep in mind, that is all of Fulton, north and south and the city of Atlanta within Fulton (minus Atlanta in DeKalb that is).

Old 10-26-2014, 02:56 PM

29,293 posts, read 26,226,966 times
How has the city/county merger worked out in other counties?

Old 10-26-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks for that info, but I'd be willing to bet Gwinnett's private job base is more skewed towards retail instead of office and manufacturing as the other major metro counties. I think there's evidence of that, as Gwinnett has higher retail sales per capita than Fulton, Cobb, and Dekalb.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:03 PM

4,376 posts, read 3,539,422 times
Quote:
Thanks for that info, but I'd be willing to bet Gwinnett's private job base is more skewed towards retail instead of office and manufacturing as the other major metro counties. I think there's evidence of that, as Gwinnett has higher retail sales per capita than Fulton, Cobb, and Dekalb.
I'm not sure how to measure that but I'm sure Mall of GA and the surrounding area contributes a lot.

It's pretty interesting how metro Atlanta and metro Gainesville have combined areas now. Drive up 985 and you're never in the middle of nowhere. I think Lake Lanier helps with that. And Gwinnett does have a lot of jobs scattered about. Small offices parks and warehouse all up and down 85, Satellite Blvd, Buford Highway and others. It's not a Perimeter Center or Peachtree Corners by any means but it's still a lot of jobs.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:47 PM

94 posts, read 92,585 times
I'm glad I was able to contribute to a lively debate. It seems like Mason is quite the antagonist or is unable to grasp the topic at hand. Regardless, a couple points. Gainesville-Hall has been rapidly growing since I was born - Columbus has not, neither has Augusta. It appears in the statistics, there are slight upswings in both cities - which is great news. But I stand by my assertions that if Gainesville consolidates with Hall, it will likely pass the 200k mark along with Columbus/Augusta in about 5 years unless either of those cities see an unexpected growth measure.

Savannah will NEVER consolidate - thanks in large part to Pooler. Back in the early 2000's Pooler annexed tons of property in West Chatham laying the groundwork for future growth - Savannah will never capture this population growth and is landlocked by small communities near the Ocean, the River to the North and communities to the West. In fact Pooler has over 30 square miles which is enormous for a community of 10-20k. Many larger cities have much larger populations with half the area. Those 30 square miles will capture the next waves of growth which may help Pooler grab a Top-25 ranking eventually in the 30-40k range in the next decade or so.

Gainesville is talking about consolidating and Savannah is not - so yes while I agree that statistically, looking at the data and removing all political boundaries there is an argument to be made that Savannah is Georgia's "true" Beta city. Unfortunately Savannah will never achieve this politically, but may achieve something similar with a MSA or CSA. I think Gainesville will have a more impressive skyline before any of the second tier cities in Georgia will as Atlanta continues to press outward.

As far as being booster goes - I am an analyst and have studied state growth trends for many years. My opinion is just that, but there is no reason to go off your rocker on a rant if you disagree. :-) All the cities in Georgia have a lot of potential - not just Atlanta and vicinity and not just the second tier cities either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or