Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:25 AM
bu2

24,092 posts, read 14,875,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
right now, we are getting to a situation where there is virtually zero open land space in the northern suburbs, extending all the way to alpharetta. besides a few spots that have been looked over, the only development that will occur in this corridor will be redevelopment of existing land uses. while there is room for individual buildings and small developments, there is no longer any room available for building subdivisions, for example.

do you believe that the mostly undeveloped land area extending to the east, west, and south of the city (ie: 10 or so miles OTP) will ever develop in the manner that the north side has? or will the north side simply densify, leaving these areas mostly rural?
There's tons of vacant land in the northern suburbs. You're just comparing it to how it was 15 years ago.

Depends on where the jobs go. And if traffic strangles the north side. They should have built the northern arc. Right now the jobs are still going north. I don't see much going east. The neighborhoods are decaying. West has potential ITP and that could spread into Douglas County. I suspect South will develop beyond Clayton County. But it will take a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 11:27 AM
bu2

24,092 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It will all depend on quality of schools. Look at the northside and the level of schools.

Schools can be changed with an influx of new people. Forsyth schools weren't as good 20 years ago.

That's why I said south would have to be south of Clayton. I think they have sunk too low to ever take off like the northern suburbs did. Henry County perhaps could.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:39 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Schools can be changed with an influx of new people. Forsyth schools weren't as good 20 years ago.

That's why I said south would have to be south of Clayton. I think they have sunk too low to ever take off like the northern suburbs did. Henry County perhaps could.
Henry County already has. It was the fastest growing county in the nation for awhile. It may not be quite as dense as the Northern suburbs, but it already is well developed. Current and planned infrastructure can't handle much more...

Schools are everything. Clayton's rep is badly tarnished at this point it will take a gigantic turn around with incredible verifiable results or a whole lot of time to fix it. Facts be damned, Clayton will be regarded as a terrible county for education for a long time. I hope that I am wrong btw.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:52 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

Not all Clayton schools are bad. Actually many are quickly turning around and have a decent amount of students graduating.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:11 PM

787 posts, read 968,809 times
SW ATL Camp Creek Pwy/Fulton Industrial down to Camp Creek area has plenty of space. If some of that area gets annex then theirs potential for growth.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:17 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
Yes and no. The West, South, and East will always be behind the North metro. Simple economics. However, when the North is way past where it is and there is a skyline up in Town Center and Windward Parkway and Cumberland and Perimeter Center look like the Lenox area does now, then yes maybe the West, South, and East will have filled in by then. By then, land in the North will be too expensive for anything but mansions and the largest scale developments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta