U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:04 PM

29,247 posts, read 26,183,299 times

Advertisements

To me this is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

We have so little public art in this town. Destroying it hardly seems like the best way to register a protest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 01:10 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,698,653 times
Some of you are still failing to understand that Krog Tunnel will likely be painted back to its original glory in a few days time. Nothing was really destroyed.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:15 PM

985 posts, read 1,463,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Cabbagetown and Reynoldstown did everything they could to NOT allow the event to happen, but the city granted the permit against their wishes.
So they destroyed the ART because they disagreed with the city permit process. In an effort to stop the event the decided to white wash the murals? What is stopping the coordinators from hiring "artist" to draw on the mural for their event? Dou know how quickly these things can be arranged, and do you know how cheap these mural "artist" are. I'm guessing they could get something up in a few hours, imagine when the event over. The Mural Reads "Cabbagetown Resident's Suck and are Cry Babies......................, and Reynoldstowns' too!

It's a classic example of taking my ball and going home. I understand them being upset and they have good reason, but they lost the legal battle and decided to whine. Whoever did this are idiots.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:18 PM

265 posts, read 317,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Destroying it hardly seems like the best way to register a protest.

The artists themselves apparently disagree with you.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:23 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,619,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Some of you are still failing to understand that Krog Tunnel will likely be painted back to its original glory in a few days time. Nothing was really destroyed.
Exactly. Krog Street is not a permanent display. It is always changing.

Nobody is hurt by this except for the guy who used his inside knowledge of the permitting process to make money off another's work. It wasn't his to profit off of. How can it be any more simple?

Old 10-23-2014, 01:29 PM

23,245 posts, read 17,447,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Exactly. Krog Street is not a permanent display. It is always changing.

Nobody is hurt by this except for the guy who used his inside knowledge of the permitting process to make money off another's work. It wasn't his to profit off of. How can it be any more simple?
Exactly, the art will be back organically. This is a true living wall in which art is always changing. The people that did this in no way hurt themselves or any one else, except the guy trying to make a buck charging people to visit a free, public ROW, art display.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:29 PM

668 posts, read 812,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I think people get it. Heck, it was just completely buffed about 6 months back so it's not like anything there was that old. I think it's the "taking my ball and going home" aspect of it that rubs people the wrong way. C'est la vie.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:33 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,024,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
To me this is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

We have so little public art in this town. Destroying it hardly seems like the best way to register a protest.
New art will fill the tunnel by this time next week.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:35 PM

29,247 posts, read 26,183,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
The artists themselves apparently disagree with you.
That may be but it doesn't give them the right to destroy public art.

If you want to paint a picture on your own canvas and keep it in your own room, then you can deface or destroy it as you wish. However, once you avail yourself of the public domain as your medium, the equation changes. We all own that canvas.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:36 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,024,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
So they destroyed the ART because they disagreed with the city permit process. In an effort to stop the event the decided to white wash the murals? What is stopping the coordinators from hiring "artist" to draw on the mural for their event? Dou know how quickly these things can be arranged, and do you know how cheap these mural "artist" are. I'm guessing they could get something up in a few hours, imagine when the event over. The Mural Reads "Cabbagetown Resident's Suck and are Cry Babies......................, and Reynoldstowns' too!

It's a classic example of taking my ball and going home. I understand them being upset and they have good reason, but they lost the legal battle and decided to whine. Whoever did this are idiots.
That'd still be a win, because it would cut into the promoter's bottom line.

I heloped paint it last night, and would do so again, regardless of whatever name you want to call me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or