Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 12:43 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Every person is a "good guy with a gun" just before they go on a rampage and turn into a "bad guy with a gun". At this point, even the ISIS radicals are stunned at the level of NRA-sponsored gun craziness in a first world country such as the US.
This reminds me of a certain Youtube video I saw recently that showed how similar some Far-Right radicals are to some terrorist radicals. Pretty sure that I can't post it here due to content; PM me if you want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 12:35 PM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Every person is a "good guy with a gun" just before they go on a rampage and turn into a "bad guy with a gun".
The only way you'll ever stop good guys with a gun from turning into bad guys with a gun is to create more hopefully good guys with guns and count on them not turning into bad guys with guns. The ones who remain good guys will take out the ones who have turned into bad guys, and if for some reason they can't LE will have to get involved.

A lot of it simply comes down to making sure they have adequate firepower at all times, good judgment and solid tactical training.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:56 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The only way you'll ever stop good guys with a gun from turning into bad guys with a gun is to create more hopefully good guys with guns and count on them not turning into bad guys with guns. The ones who remain good guys will take out the ones who have turned into bad guys, and if for some reason they can't LE will have to get involved.

A lot of it simply comes down to making sure they have adequate firepower at all times, good judgment and solid tactical training.
This is way more complicated and dangerous than just not allowing guns everywhere.

I work in a public building. Fortunately, it really hasn't been a problem so far. However, it's a nagging worry in the minds of my coworkers and I. It frustrates me that we have to worry about something this absurd at work. I have no way to know if someone coming in with a gun is a "good guy" or a "bad guy," and almost certainly do not have enough time to ascertain this before something bad could happen. It would be safer to assume everyone is a "bad guy" and not be anywhere near them. And what if they are "good guys" but are incompetent or weak enough to let a "bad guy" take their firearm from them? This is just one of a countless number of variables that have been introduced by this legislation that put people in jeopardy.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:22 PM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I work in a public building. Fortunately, it really hasn't been a problem so far. However, it's a nagging worry in the minds of my coworkers and I. It frustrates me that we have to worry about something this absurd at work. I have no way to know if someone coming in with a gun is a "good guy" or a "bad guy," and almost certainly do not have enough time to ascertain this before something bad could happen. It would be safer to assume everyone is a "bad guy" and not be anywhere near them. And what if they are "good guys" but are incompetent or weak enough to let a "bad guy" take their firearm from them? This is just one of a countless number of variables that have been introduced by this legislation that put people in jeopardy.
Why can't we just assume that anyone who comes into your building (or the Botanical garden) with a rifle or pistol is a good guy who is simply very uncomfortable walking around without a gun? Unless and until he is actually pointing or firing it at someone he is fully within his constitutional rights and there should be no cause for concern.

Bear in mind that people need their weapons not only for self-defense but for hunting and warding off a tyrannical government as well. If you have someone in the building with a gun there's a good probability it's for one of these legitimate purposes. If they are transparent enough to carry it openly there should be even less worry about their motives.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:42 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,648 times
Quote:
Why can't we just assume that anyone who comes into your building (or the Botanical garden) with a rifle or pistol is a good guy who is simply very uncomfortable walking around without a gun? Unless and until he is actually pointing or firing it at someone he is fully within his constitutional rights and there should be no cause for concern.

Bear in mind that people need their weapons not only for self-defense but for hunting and warding off a tyrannical government as well. If you have someone in the building with a gun there's a good probability it's for one of these legitimate purposes. If they are transparent enough to carry it openly there should be even less worry about their motives.
I'm pretty sure you're playing devil's advocate, but there have been too many shootings in public places in the last 15-20 years to presume someone walking into a public place with a gun is benevolent. They could be harmless, of course, but I don't believe it's safe to make that one's default assumption.

The botanical garden should have planned for something like this, though. It seems like the CEO doesn't know it's a public place, which makes me feel bad for the employee that asked the guy to leave because he/she may have not been informed of this and acted with the best intentions.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:26 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Georgia gun rights group sues Botanical Gardens | www.wsbtv.com
Long story short, the Botanical Gardens thinks it's exempt from State firearms carry law. They're about to find out the hard way that public property means public property.
OOHH!! Yeah, they'll show them!! No more being worried that a boogeyman will get me amongst the flowers!! No, it's not about fear.

Quote:
There are a lot of people who are flat out terrified of being forced to go into some place like the botanical garden without their weapons. They are about to teach the garden a major lesson about trying to make folks walk around in a garden with no firearms.
Is this a serious post?

First of all, who is "forced" to go into the Botanical Gardens?

Secondly, if you are "terrified" of going into a place like the Botanical Gardens without being armed, I believe you just may have some sort of mental issue.

Yeah, I don't think this is a serious post. My sarcasm meter must be malfunctioning.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:56 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:

Bear in mind that people need their weapons not only for self-defense but for hunting and warding off a tyrannical government as well. If you have someone in the building with a gun there's a good probability it's for one of these legitimate purposes.
As it turns out, hunting in buildings is the main problem people with guns cause in this country.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:22 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:

Either this is the greatest troll post I have seen in weeks or the first time I have EVER seen a right-to-keep-and-bear-arms supporter admit that "good guys" can turn into "bad guys."

Quote:

Yep, looks like troll posting to me.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:40 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,819 times
Although i'm a CCW carrier, sometimes I just don't think you have to carry EVERYWHERE. I'm not a church person at all and even though you can legally carry in churches now unless the church says you can't i'd still respect it enough not to take a gun in.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:25 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,300 times
I'm glad they asked him to leave. I think every person has the right to feel safe as well and botanical gardens, parks, and other events are not the proper place to have a gun on your hip. Where is the threat at the botanical gardens?
Everyone has the right to protect themselves but who determines if someone is mentally fit to have the right to carry a gun.

A few months ago a report was made with a child crying when an adult showed up at the playground during a baseball game displaying his right to carry his weapon. Children (and adults) should not be frightened by the presence of a weapon on a school yard, nor the botanical gardens, while they should be focused on enjoying their environment. Who's the real threat? The threat of potential danger or the threat of a Clint Eastwood mentality on the loose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: