Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:17 AM

177 posts, read 923,754 times

Advertisements

This year was my first time attending the Peach Drop at 5points and probably my last. I went there with a friend from out of town and it was awful! Signage was bad and the police had various road barricaded and didn't indicate where people had to go to get to drop location. They had people running all over downtown and the more frustrated people got the wilder the crowd got. And that crowd...good grief. I saw 4 fights in 5 minutes...people started to panic when a 'fight zone' cleared around people and that led to pushing, shoving, and more fights. I ran into a friend who said people were fleeing another flight in which a gun was pulled! I would never bring a child there there were plenty of crying kids who were probably as scared as I was. When midnight had passed the police still didn't take town the barricades and thousands of people were being herded through a little 5 foot opening. (more pushing shoving and jumping of barricades). It was just awful...I can't imagine how it looked to to people visiting from out of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 10:43 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,397 times
...There's a reason why people don't go to Underground...ever!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:43 AM

259 posts, read 1,324,161 times
Yes, the "stay away from the Underground" was probably the first admonition I received from my long time Atlanta resident friend what I let him know I would be visiting.

So, query, where would you suggest I bring the SO on Friday night to convince her that moving to Atlanta with me would not be the worst thing in the world. (The night before my friend is showing us the evening atmosphere available in VH.)

I'm thinking sort of trendy restaurant/trendy bar area (trendy for older/sophisticated types, that is).......Something in Buckhead still the choice?

Thanks.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:53 PM

513 posts, read 1,632,208 times
Yeah, stick to Virginia-Highlands, midtown, maybe Decatur. I'm honestly not sure what is going on in Buckhead anymore. I went to the peach drop in 1990 and thought it was so cheesy. Never again. There hasn't been any reason to go to Underground since the early 90's when a few decent bars were there. I even work w/in walking distance and don't think I've been there more than one time since 1991.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:35 PM

Thanks.....and your Buckhead suspicion is now confirmed by my Atlanta friend as well.......apparently Buckhead is NOT good for nightlife anymore. (I had read the thread about where the rap posses ruined the late night club scene, but I had no idea there's not even a nice place for cocktails around 8-9 pm anymore. Geeesh!) Doesn't Atlanta have a Peninsula Hotel bar or even an upscale steakhouse (Like Chicago's Gibsons) where the martini-sipping crowd hangs?

At any rate, he told me to go to Canoe in Vinings tomorrow and he'll take me to Murphy's in VH on Friday.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:45 PM

177 posts, read 923,754 times
I was at the Peach Bowl too late to late to get to any real parties and Downtown was my only option.
I'll just put that on my list of things to do atleast once in Atlanta and never again (right after my visit to the Clermont lounge *shivers*)

Old 01-02-2008, 04:07 PM

55 posts, read 233,895 times
A large portion of Buckhead's bars have recently been bulldozed to build a "Rodeo Drive" type shopping area instead. If you want to go martini-sipping I'd recommend the Midtown area - Crescent Avenue and 12th Street.

I haven't been to Underground since they had the new years opening of all the new bars a few years ago. It was crowded but fun. The $5 entry (or whatever it is) into the alley, plus cover into the individual bar, plus cost of whatever beverages I may consume kept me from ever going back since then...and as far as I've heard several of those clubs/bars didn't even last a year after the big opening. From what you describe it sounds like I shouldn't consider coming back any time soon!

Old 01-02-2008, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the tip on midtown, wv. I'll check out your 12th and Crescent although now that you mention midtown, seems like there is quite a bit from 10th through 14th and from the east edge of the park all the way back towards the interstate.

Although, since Atlanta decided it would wait until I arrive to set cold temperature records, I may not end up walking around that much!! What was it that was so good about the weather again?

Old 01-02-2008, 08:44 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Keep in mind that Midtown is Atlanta's "Village" in that there's a very large gay community there. For some that may be a problem, for others not, but if you like to just walk in and out of clubs to check them out, there will be several in that area where you'll go, "Hmmmm... there don't seem to be any women here..."

When I first moved here there was such a place that a bunch of us went into that played Country music and had line dancing (fun to watch though I'd never be caught dead doing it). When we walked in there were men and women doing line dancing, but when the music changed to a slow Country dance, the women were dancing with each other, as were the men. The doorman said that TONS of tourists stumbled in like that and they love seeing the reactions when the slow music starts. Not such a problem for many, but if you're from a tiny town and not used to that just be ready for anything in the Midtown area. One day I'll even talk about the Tina Turner drag queen on the MARTA train. LOL

But a lot of building and condo development has been happening in that area too, and younger semi-yuppish types and couples are moving back into that area. Worth checking out. Also as others have said, Virginia Highlands is a neat village-type neighborhood with restaurants and shops. Either of these is a great choice over the Underground area.

Links:

Midtown and inner area info: atlanta-midtown.com | guide to Atlanta's intown neighborhoods | Morningside, Virginia-Highland, Midtown, Druid Hills, Decatur and here's one a guy put together with tons of stuff on it: The Essential Reference Site for Midtown Atlanta

Virginia Highland info: Virginia Highland :: Home

Oh, and regarding the Peach Drop comments at the top - yeah, I have to say it's very lame. A styrofoam, unlit, spraypainted "peach" that is awkwardly lowered near midnight.. usually hitting the bottom 20 seconds beforehand and some sparklers fizzing off around it. I would expect this from Hoopieville, Alabama, but not here. I think they should have a big New Years celebration at Centennial Park from now on and do it more professionally, including better crowd control and security. It has been and still is somewhat of a joke as it is now.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 01-02-2008 at 09:59 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 10:20 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Oh, and regarding the Peach Drop comments at the top - yeah, I have to say it's very lame. A styrofoam, unlit, spraypainted "peach" that is awkwardly lowered near midnight.. usually hitting the bottom 20 seconds beforehand and some sparklers fizzing off around it. I would expect this from Hoopieville, Alabama, but not here. I think they should have a big New Years celebration at Centennial Park from now on and do it more professionally, including better crowd control and security. It has been and still is somewhat of a joke as it is now.
These comments come as quite a shock to me. My aunt and uncle from suburban Atlanta (Acworth to be precise) were just visiting for the Holidays and bragging about how awesome Atlanta is, as they usually do when they come. For a city with as large of an ego as the Peachtree City, I'm a bit surprised that you can't pull off a decent New Year's Eve celebration. Hell, it sounds like even First Night Scranton was a bigger hit with all of its art and nightlife offerings, and we've only got 72,000 people! As urban sprawl continues to ravage North Georgia, elected officials should be doing everything in their power to highlight Atlanta's urban core to prospective new residents with events that are smashing successes, not embarrassments. I'm sorry to see that so many of you had such a miserable time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta