U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2014, 01:57 AM

95 posts, read 107,914 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there have been other threads similar to this one but I am unable to find one that fits my situation close enough for an answer. I am a recent college grad that works in the human services/mental health field. I currently reside in Virginia Beach, VA (which has a fairly higher cost of living than Atlanta). For various reasons I am very interested in moving to the Atlanta area.
For a single guy with a 300 dollar a month car payment, what should I bring in a year to live in a decent area comfortably without a roommate. I am open to suburbs of Atlanta but would like to live within 20 minutes of the city in a modest 1br apartment. I don't mind having to be thrifty but I don't want to go without food on my table. Any input to give me some better perspective would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 02:42 AM

6,180 posts, read 5,565,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoflin View Post
I'm sure there have been other threads similar to this one but I am unable to find one that fits my situation close enough for an answer. I am a recent college grad that works in the human services/mental health field. I currently reside in Virginia Beach, VA (which has a fairly higher cost of living than Atlanta). For various reasons I am very interested in moving to the Atlanta area.
For a single guy with a 300 dollar a month car payment, what should I bring in a year to live in a decent area comfortably without a roommate. I am open to suburbs of Atlanta but would like to live within 20 minutes of the city in a modest 1br apartment. I don't mind having to be thrifty but I don't want to go without food on my table. Any input to give me some better perspective would be appreciated.
The biggest question is do you yet know where in the very expansive Atlanta metropolitan area you will be working?

Knowing where you will be working is critically important for multiple reasons, chief among them is that:

1) You will know that you will have a job secured before moving to an Atlanta metro area with a job market that is improving but is still nowhere near where it needs to be, particularly in regards to its large major metro peers around the nation...

2) You will know how much you will be earning from your new job and...

3) You will know the geographical area where you will be working which means that you will also know the geographical area where to look for a place to live relatively near and close to your new job in the geographically expansive and congestion challenged Atlanta metro area.

Metro Atlanta is relatively pretty affordable when compared to most large metro regions around the nation as affordable living options can basically be found almost anywhere near any sized employment cluster can be found which is basically all over the compass in any direction around the Atlanta metro area.

Some affordable living options can be found as low as about $700-800 monthly for a quality 1-2 bedroom apartment depending on the age and location of the apartment building or complex.

The important thing is that you do not get fixated on any particular neighborhood or district before knowing where you will be working or knowing that you will even be able to secure a job.

Get the job first then look for employment in the geographical area relatively near where you will be working so that you will know that you have secured employment, you know what you will be earning and you know where you will need to look for a place to live so that you can try to have as painless of a commute as possible.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:58 AM

I appreciate the detailed answer and understand my specific question is hard pin point with the various variable factors. However I am really looking at with overall cost of living including rental rates...what should I make to live there in an apartment for around 700 (as you mentioned). If I found a job making me X amount I woudlnt want to move to the area and realize that X amount isn't going to cut it without a roommate or a second job. Example, if I found a job making about 30k a year would that be enough to live in a modest 1br in a decent area either inside or in the suburbs of Atlanta? No debt except a 300 dollar car payment.

Last edited by ncoflin; 11-27-2014 at 03:17 AM..

Old 11-27-2014, 03:09 AM

6,180 posts, read 5,565,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoflin View Post
I appreciate the detailed answer and understand my specific question is hard pin point with the various extenuating factors. However I am really looking at with overall cost of living including rental rates...what should I make to live there in an apartment for around 700 (as you mentioned). If I found a job making me X amount I woudlnt want to move to the area and realize that X amount isn't going to cut it without a roommate or a second job. Example, if I found a job making about 30k a year would that be enough to live in a modest 1br in a decent area either inside or in the suburbs of Atlanta? No debt except a 300 dollar car payment.
$30,000 a year would likely be abundant enough to live in your situation by any measure, though you personally would have to be the final arbiter of your personal living expenses.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:36 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,714,391 times
How much do you want to spend for rent

how much money do you bring in per month

Old 11-27-2014, 03:30 PM

I would like to get an apartment for around 700 a month. How much would I need to make per year to make that possible in the Atlanta area is the question.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:08 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,242,958 times
No less than 32k
36k if you can swing it
40k will enable you to take full advantage of what the city offers

Old 11-27-2014, 07:14 PM

I appreciate the feedback guys. I know with questions like this you typically get numbers with a big differing range. Trying to get as many opinions as possible to perhaps get a consensus. So far 30k, or 32-36k. Just really want to do some homework before moving, I'm thinking around March next year.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:55 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,242,958 times
30k would work too, just pay off the car note !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or