U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 08:42 AM
bu2

8,975 posts, read 5,670,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
What a boring and poorly written opinion article. Curt needs to think of some synonyms for "unique".
If he thinks Atlanta's museums are a major attraction (especially High and Fernbank), he disqualifies himself as knowledgeable.
There are some of his 7 criteria where Atlanta ranks higher than museums.

Atlanta gets lots of tourists because of its convention center, which is helped by the ease of getting into Atlanta by plane and car. Hartsfield is the world's largest airport.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:51 AM

2,588 posts, read 1,499,248 times
Crap article. Chicago doesn't make the list of great American cities, but Memphis does?

Old 11-30-2014, 08:55 AM

446 posts, read 505,878 times
eh opinions they are like____ everybody got one

Old 11-30-2014, 09:54 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,225,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Crap article. Chicago doesn't make the list of great American cities, but Memphis does?

I agree. He lost all credibility by bringing Memphis, Louisville and St. Louis into the mix of great American cities? and then he questions Chicago?

"Consider the truly great major cities in America. There really arenít that many of them. In short, they are New York, Boston, New Orleans, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Memphis. You might add St. Louis and Louisville to that list, but I wouldnít put them near the top. Chicago? Eh, Iím not so sure.
"

Old 11-30-2014, 10:51 AM

28,137 posts, read 24,659,949 times
That is a totally dumb article. Anybody with the least bit of curiosity and adventure in their bones will find countless interesting things to do in Atlanta. Or just about anywhere else for that matter.

Of course you are only going to find museums like the Met and the Louvre in a handful of places. Their great collections were amassed in different eras under vastly different circumstances.

However, we've got tons of great places to visit here. You could literally spend years exploring and trying to understand any major city. Anyone who doesn't realize that is either absurdly naive or intentionally stupid.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:09 AM

6,911 posts, read 9,596,423 times
Is there any city in the US that is a destination in and of itself because of itself other than DC or NYC or San Francisco? Las Vegas.... gambling, not the city. Orlando... theme parks, not the city. Miami.... beaches, not the city. Denver, Seattle, Portland... heck even San Francisco, the setting is the draw, not the city itself so much.

I visit a new place because of family or friend connections. They will take me to all the interesting sites nearby and I enjoy exploring a new place. My brother moved to Colorado Springs a few years back, went to visit and loved it. But without Pikes Peak and the front range, it was Plano, Texas when all is said and done.

I did have friends from the UK visit us in Marietta some years back. For some reason, this Brit was an ardent student of the US Civil War. I took him to Kennesaw Mountain, the Cyclorama, Atlanta History Museum and other sites. For them, being British, basic American things like malls and glass skyscrapers were interesting, so they absolutely loved their visit. But for the average American, I don't take umbrage with this snub by the author on Atlanta. Fill in the blank with most any other city and repaste.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:19 PM

4,129 posts, read 3,225,369 times
Memphis? Did I miss something? Since when has Memphis been a top destination for anything other than BBQ?
Personally I don't care for visiting cities anyway.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:31 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,551,977 times
Atlanta is in fact , the world capital of Hip Hop

How Atlanta, Georgia, became America's hip-hop capital

Old 11-30-2014, 07:43 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,812,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I agree. He lost all credibility by bringing Memphis, Louisville and St. Louis into the mix of great American cities? and then he questions Chicago?
Right?! How dare he have a mind of his own and go against popular opinion?

I don't think that Memphis is a greater city than Chicago, but I can easily see why someone would say that the former had more character than the latter.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:46 PM

27,763 posts, read 24,784,942 times
I stopped reading past this point:

Itís because Atlanta has no character.
Consider the truly great major cities in America. There really arenít that many of them. In short, they are New York, Boston, New Orleans, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Memphis.
You might add St. Louis and Louisville to that list, but I wouldnít put them near the top. Chicago? Eh, Iím not so sure.

He's smoking some of the good stuff obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or