U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 04:41 PM

2,852 posts, read 2,645,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
They're totally harmless, you know. Even if they do get in the house, a good cat will make sure they don't live very long.
I realize they are harmless, but does it sound like I am trying to be rational? I'm claiming my phobia just like those afraid of spiders do, and I deserve the same rights and privileges as any arachnophobe lol!

I'm not all that keen on the idea of petting a pet that has been eating roaches, but if it push came to shove, I'd get a clowder of cats. Still, I vote for hiring an exterminator as the first step.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 05:11 PM

1,241 posts, read 982,818 times
If you are worried about roaches try this home remedy. We had some around here on occasion. Buy a box of borax and mix 1 tablespoon of borax with 1 tablespoon of Sugar and place it somewhere where roaches have been seen. Make sure that children or pets cannot access it. It won't kill a human but it will kill a pet. Still, humans should not ingest borax. The sugar attracts the roaches and they eat the borax with it. Borax is deadly to roaches but they will live long enough to transport it back to the nest for all to eat. Eventually all who eat the borax/sugar mixture will die. We haven't seen even ONE since we put it out. We've seen far fewer bugs in general as a matter of fact. Try putting the mixture under the house or behind the stove or fridge.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:31 PM

13,094 posts, read 15,900,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
... I'm not all that keen on the idea of petting a pet that has been eating roaches ...
How about petting pets that lick their own butts and private parts? Because they all do that ... both dogs and cats. :-)

Old 12-02-2014, 03:17 AM

2,852 posts, read 2,645,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
How about petting pets that lick their own butts and private parts? Because they all do that ... both dogs and cats. :-)
Truer words have not been spoken, but I choose to look the other way. Much like a hubby, I think do what you gotta do with your personal grooming, and I'll stay out of it.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:42 AM

3,697 posts, read 3,279,188 times
Gotta agree with everything but the repair service people. I will say maybe too friendly to the point of Norman bates creepy. We had a locksmith come out that I swore gave me the heebie geebies. Most folks we have met were so polite and just genuinely friendly. Don't ever move to Houston. The roaches will eat you out of home, then take over your car. Our back yard is a Forrest, and I'm dreading summer bugs.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:13 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nleasty View Post
You gotta do what you gotta do lol

Last edited by afdinatl; 12-02-2014 at 06:25 AM..

Old 12-02-2014, 07:10 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,995,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group Hug View Post
Here are my first impressions after one week in the Atlanta metro area. But first, something I dread posting because people will make fun of me. Y'all are my only friends down here so be kind. Last night, around 2 a.m. I saw a cockroach in my shower. At least it looked like a cockroach to me. It was fast, it was brown, and it was fairly big. I've never had a cockroach in my home before. Is this normal for the area? Is it time to panic? Advice?
I've lived in many homes/dorms in Atlanta with roaches/palmetto bugs and I've lived in one or two homes without them.

In my experience, if they are there already then you will probably never be rid of them. Using an exterminator, pesticide, or getting 1 or 2 cats will help with how often you see them but you would basically almost have to raze an entire house and rebuild it to seal every nook and cranny that would offer a roach ingress. Even then, there would not be any guarantee because those guys can live in trees!

My last place had them even though I rarely saw them. The house I am renting right now was built in 2001 and I haven't seen any bugs in it at all.

If you live in a house the city then you're probably out of luck... they are quite prevalent.

Where are you moving from?

Old 12-02-2014, 07:31 AM

159 posts, read 142,022 times
Moving from Illinois. So far, I've only seen the one roach. Our home is newer, so it's a real bummer that I've already seen a cockroach. :'( Exterminator comes tomorrow.

On an unrelated note, I can't believe I'm wearing shorts and flip flops in December.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:04 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,106,062 times
Growing up, I spent many summers in SW Virginia and they had tons of flying palmetto bugs. At night they would fly around outside, it really freaked me out. I've seen my share of palmetto bugs since moving here, and they are pretty gross but no need for alarm.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:23 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group Hug View Post
Moving from Illinois. So far, I've only seen the one roach. Our home is newer, so it's a real bummer that I've already seen a cockroach. :'( Exterminator comes tomorrow.

On an unrelated note, I can't believe I'm wearing shorts and flip flops in December.
Yeah the high today is 72 degrees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or