U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2014, 09:02 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,653,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Our back yard is a Forrest, and I'm dreading summer bugs.
Your back yard is a Forrest? Funny thing, this scene was filmed in Savannah, palmetto bugs are everywhere down there.

Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 09:43 AM

3,697 posts, read 3,280,195 times
Run Forrest run

Old 12-02-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Run Forrest run
Haha, but really though, they're worse outside in the summer and inside during the winter. The last couple of years stink bugs, or shield bugs( they don't actually stink), have invaded Georgia and they will get in through the slightest crack in the winter.

Two years ago, when they first arrived, I found about fifty of them on the curtains in a spare bedroom. It was like something from a horror film.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:33 PM

159 posts, read 142,054 times
Yuck! The night before "cockroach night," I found a stink bug in the master bathroom. Same bathroom, different bug, different night. The stink bugs don't freak me out as badly as the cockroach did.

The cockroach I found wasn't absolutely huge, like the flying ones I hear about. I still have him (or her... don't want to be gender insensitive here) and will show off my catch to the exterminator tomorrow.

I am guessing there is a good reason most people around here have a bug service and given that I have a bug phobia, I've decided to join the crowd. Back where I'm from, there are bug services, but only a small percentage of people use them on an ongoing basis. At my old house, we would get a few silverfish, a few spiders, and that was pretty much it. Dealt with little ants only a handful of times.

Ate lunch outside today! What an amazing day!

Old 12-02-2014, 04:01 PM

Also, palmetto bugs are different than American cockroaches. They look similar to Oriental cockroaches and emit a nasty odor.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:07 PM

159 posts, read 142,054 times
I read Lorilove's wikipedia link on American cockroaches and I'm pretty sure that's what I saw.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:13 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
Imo there are two types of roaches. One type lives in dirty environments. The other type of roach is just looking for food. As long as your place isn't dirty you don't have much to worry about. Generally speaking.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:15 PM

28,109 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group Hug View Post
At my old house, we would get a few silverfish...
Whoa! A silverfish would freak me out. Aren't they the ones with the weird feelers sticking out?

Old 12-02-2014, 11:56 PM

286 posts, read 336,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group Hug View Post
Here are my first impressions after one week in the Atlanta metro area. But first, something I dread posting because people will make fun of me. Y'all are my only friends down here so be kind. Last night, around 2 a.m. I saw a cockroach in my shower. At least it looked like a cockroach to me. It was fast, it was brown, and it was fairly big. I've never had a cockroach in my home before. Is this normal for the area? Is it time to panic? Advice?

Now, here are my impressions of the area. I've been here a week and had never been here before commiting to move.
1. It smells really nice.
2. It is very hilly with many trees. Beautiful.
3. People are super friendly. Even friendlier than the small midwest town I'm from, except...
4. Repair people and installers are fairly grumpy, unhelpful and don't take much pride in a job well done (I hope I am just having some bad luck)
5. The real estate photographers are evil geniuses and can make a 5x5 patch of grass and a tiny bathroom look like half a soccer field and Beyonce's personal powder room. (Know how much square footage you need before looking at online real estate websites!).
6. ATL metro area is super affordable only if you're moving from another major metro area; especially NYC metro area or NoCal/SoCal. If you're moving from a small town, prepare to pay more for less.
7. It is amazing how close everything is to where you live. I feel like everything is within 10-15 minutes of me, except my husband's work.
8. Everybody has a dog. Everybody. Your argument is invalid.
9. Sweet tea everywhere.
10. Most people don't have a southern accent, but they still say y'all!

HuH not to but in but cockroaches are bad in the south that's something your going to have to get used too.Yes it's completely normal in the south there everywhere.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:19 AM

789 posts, read 640,163 times
[QUOTEjay57;3738]There are cockroaches in just about every state and all over the world. You can zap them with something like Raid or call an exterminator if that doesn't get them. Make sure you don't leave food laying around. I've never heard of using wire mesh in drains to control them -- that's probably for keeping hair, debris, etc., out of the drains.

In my experience repairmen are about the same everywhere. Most of them are pretty nice guys who are just trying to fix your problem, but of course there are always exceptions. If you run into somebody you don't like I'd call somebody else.[/quote]

True but they are way more common down south. I lived in the mid-west for 11 years and the only time I seen roaches were in
the projects, besides that I rarely ever seen roaches up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or