U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2014, 09:38 AM
 
159 posts, read 142,022 times
Reputation: 131

Advertisements

Here are my first impressions after one week in the Atlanta metro area. But first, something I dread posting because people will make fun of me. Y'all are my only friends down here so be kind. Last night, around 2 a.m. I saw a cockroach in my shower. At least it looked like a cockroach to me. It was fast, it was brown, and it was fairly big. I've never had a cockroach in my home before. Is this normal for the area? Is it time to panic? Advice?

Now, here are my impressions of the area. I've been here a week and had never been here before commiting to move.
1. It smells really nice.
2. It is very hilly with many trees. Beautiful.
3. People are super friendly. Even friendlier than the small midwest town I'm from, except...
4. Repair people and installers are fairly grumpy, unhelpful and don't take much pride in a job well done (I hope I am just having some bad luck)
5. The real estate photographers are evil geniuses and can make a 5x5 patch of grass and a tiny bathroom look like half a soccer field and Beyonce's personal powder room. (Know how much square footage you need before looking at online real estate websites!).
6. ATL metro area is super affordable only if you're moving from another major metro area; especially NYC metro area or NoCal/SoCal. If you're moving from a small town, prepare to pay more for less.
7. It is amazing how close everything is to where you live. I feel like everything is within 10-15 minutes of me, except my husband's work.
8. Everybody has a dog. Everybody. Your argument is invalid.
9. Sweet tea everywhere.
10. Most people don't have a southern accent, but they still say y'all!

Last edited by Group Hug; 11-30-2014 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2014, 09:54 AM
 
2,325 posts, read 3,548,096 times
Reputation: 1467
What you likely saw was a Palmetto bug (which is an American Cockroach) and not the German Cockroach that is normally associated with filth. And well, yes they can be quite common in the South. They don't like cold weather so they will seek warmth and can climb up through your drain in your shower.

I grew up in Florida where they are even more common so they are irritating but don't really freak me out.

American cockroach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think you have had bad luck with repairman.

I don't have a dog - just cats. But yes, this is generally a dog friendly area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2014, 09:59 AM
 
159 posts, read 142,022 times
Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
What you likely saw was a Palmetto bug (which is an American Cockroach) and not the German Cockroach that is normally associated with filth. And well, yes they can be quite common in the South. They don't like cold weather so they will seek warmth and can climb up through your drain in your shower.
When we moved into our new home, we were aghast to find that there were no stoppers in any of the drains in the house. All had been replaced by mesh strainers. Do you think this is why?

Are the palmetto bugs worse in the winter than in the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2014, 10:41 AM
 
28,104 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Reputation: 9523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group Hug View Post
Last night, around 2 a.m. I saw a cockroach in my shower. At least it looked like a cockroach to me. It was fast, it was brown, and it was fairly big. I've never had a cockroach in my home before. Is this normal for the area? Is it time to panic? Advice?
There are cockroaches in just about every state and all over the world. You can zap them with something like Raid or call an exterminator if that doesn't get them. Make sure you don't leave food laying around. I've never heard of using wire mesh in drains to control them -- that's probably for keeping hair, debris, etc., out of the drains.

In my experience repairmen are about the same everywhere. Most of them are pretty nice guys who are just trying to fix your problem, but of course there are always exceptions. If you run into somebody you don't like I'd call somebody else.

Last edited by arjay57; 11-30-2014 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2014, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,852 posts, read 2,645,698 times
Reputation: 1410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group Hug View Post
When we moved into our new home, we were aghast to find that there were no stoppers in any of the drains in the house. All had been replaced by mesh strainers. Do you think this is why?

Are the palmetto bugs worse in the winter than in the summer?
First, as a general rule for the south, I'd say cockroaches (and yes, I absolutely refuse to call them palmetto bugs) getting into the house during colder weather is more common than during warmer weather.

Now, some people will say that they are pretty much unavoidable in Atlanta, but that's not true either. I have lived some places where I never saw one inside and others where occasionally one would get into the house. Maybe I have just been fortunate or as they say, the lord knows just how much you can bear because I absolutely cannot stand them. They gross me out and I'm afraid of them.

I have never seen one in the tub and that would be a call to action for me. Just for my personal peace of mind, I'd have to get some professionals in there. You can use a nationally know company or whoever floats your boat. A thorough spraying of the perimeter of your home has been effective for me from preventing them from getting in, but if there are already some there in the first place, I'd think they would need to be addressed immediately because I don't think you want them breeding.

Good luck, it will be ok. If your property is older or a lake or water, you just probably have to be a little more proactive to completely annihilate a problem before it gets started good and the holiday food smells fill your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2014, 12:59 PM
 
Location: O4W
3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
Reputation: 2045
I'm pretty sure you live around a lot of trees. For some reason roaches love trees. You might not believe this but I once saw a flying roach in South Ga lol. It probably got inside your home because your doors were open while you were moving in. Try to limit the amount of times you have you door open when it isn't needed because they will come in looking for food and a warm place to stay. Plus they want to live rent free. F THAT! Lol

Last edited by afdinatl; 11-30-2014 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2014, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,852 posts, read 2,645,698 times
Reputation: 1410
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
I'm pretty sure you live around a lot of trees. For some reason roaches love trees. You might not believe this but I once saw a flying roach in South Ga lol. It probably got inside your home because your doors were open while you were moving in. Try to limit the amount of times you have you door open when it isn't needed because they will come in looking for food and a warm place to stay. Plus they want to live rent free. F THAT! Lol
Of course they fly if you can call it that. That is one of the reasons I can't stand them; on top of everything else, they can go airborne. I don't like things that crawl and fly - do one or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2014, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,094 posts, read 15,900,406 times
Reputation: 9139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Of course they fly if you can call it that. That is one of the reasons I can't stand them; on top of everything else, they can go airborne. I don't like things that crawl and fly - do one or the other.
They're totally harmless, you know. Even if they do get in the house, a good cat will make sure they don't live very long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2014, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
265 posts, read 301,447 times
Reputation: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Even if they do get in the house, a good cat will make sure they don't live very long.
Ha! That's what I was gonna say. Yeah, the things are ugly but harmless. And ever since I switched from being a dog person to a cat person, I rarely see them alive. I'm in Florida where they are exponentially more abundant than they are in Atlanta, but still I pretty much only ever see them inside my house after one of the cats has "played with it" to death.

That's why cats are awesome... They are the best pest control EVER!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2014, 04:25 PM
 
28,104 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Reputation: 9523
I hope the Uruguayan river roach doesn't move into this area. They say it can not only climb and fly but swim 20 miles through a pipe at one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top