U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 03:10 PM

6,458 posts, read 5,911,464 times

Advertisements

Where does this 15th largest world economy claim come from? Most sources have Atlanta around 20th, and 10th largest in the US, not that it is bad, but I'm curious about the source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 06:31 PM

1,043 posts, read 800,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Where does this 15th largest world economy claim come from? Most sources have Atlanta around 20th, and 10th largest in the US, not that it is bad, but I'm curious about the source.
Argh, you made me have to dig back through that moronic GDP thread! Curse you!

Well, the "source" provided for that 15th claim is from a dubious website that doesn't give any sources, so I wouldn't trust it. That being said, I've seen GDP estimates that place Atlanta in 12th, 19th, 26th, and 23rd, so I think it's safe to say that Atlanta is in the "top 20".

- skbl17

Old 12-02-2014, 08:29 PM

3,953 posts, read 3,257,336 times
I always love your passion for Atlanta. When you get a chance check out BLS economic data it even points out that Atlanta is now surpassing job growth before the epic 2007 job lost hit.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:37 PM

1,241 posts, read 983,940 times
Whoever wrote that "don't know" many of his statistics are wrong. Atlanta's GMP is $321 billion now and is finally beginning to grow significantly. Anywho...

Other than that, it was an enjoyable read (if a little too "chamber of commerce-like"). I do hope Atlanta can continue to grow it's tech sector, and other sectors, and continue to rebalance from real estate. Even if it can only have a portion of the digital world, it will be fantastic. Nobody will ever be Silicon Valley but others have a piece of the pie. However, I am glad it is a center of real estate too because that's what I am into. I am trying to flip houses and remodels and I'd like to restore older properties to their former glory. Nothing would please me more than to invest in Ansley or Inman Park one day.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:16 PM

6,458 posts, read 5,911,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Argh, you made me have to dig back through that moronic GDP thread! Curse you!

Well, the "source" provided for that 15th claim is from a dubious website that doesn't give any sources, so I wouldn't trust it. That being said, I've seen GDP estimates that place Atlanta in 12th, 19th, 26th, and 23rd, so I think it's safe to say that Atlanta is in the "top 20".

- skbl17
Thanks for trying. I agree with it being around 20th. Even the dollar figure of the GDP fluctuates from source. Comparing GDP to other US cities is likely much more accurate than comparing it to the world.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:23 PM
bu2

8,976 posts, read 5,673,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
Right, but Texas, North Carolina, and Utah all have this same problem, yet the cities that were mentioned earlier here like Austin, Raleigh, and Provo attract these very same people in spite of it. Ultimately, it's the business environment that will win out and Atlanta has a very attractive one.
Laughing. Utah is probably the most conservative state in the country.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:31 PM
bu2

8,976 posts, read 5,673,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Provo and Austin are because of Google Fiber maybe?
No, google fiber is because they already have a high tech base. And they've got educated tech-savvy populations. Austin is really the #2 area for major tech firms after Silicon Valley with a couple of industry consortiums located there in the 80s and 90s triggering the growth (Sematech and MCC).

Old 12-03-2014, 05:26 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,121,943 times
That article, makes about as much sense as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDoaKHpbsFs

That dreck reads to me like: Walk into any office in Atlanta and you'll see employees, spinning in circles in their office chairs. They are feeding off of the vibe that you can find no where else but in....Atlanta. They eventually fall our of their chairs, not from being dizzy, but by being filled with innovative thoughts, thoughts that come from..Atlanta's vibe. And the smell in the air...***sniff***sniff***, is like...bacon, but not ordinary bacon, but from the sizzling energy of Atlanta, producing crispy crispy thoughts. New York, LA, and Chicago burn and use up their employees, but in Atlanta, you are family, even its...lover. Even the homeless are innovating because of the energy and vibe that emanates from...Atlanta.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:21 PM

145 posts, read 118,867 times
I participated in a research project, sponsored by GT, specifically comparing Atlanta's ability to compete with the other tech centers of influence (this was 2003). We compared to the Boston Corridor, Austin/San Marcos, Silicon Valley and Redmond WA.

The takeaway is that Atlanta's strengths were in textiles. This was also around the time nano-tech was being discussed as the next revolution in manufacturing. This would likely be the best differentiator, at the time, for Atlanta to grow their tech sector.

As for attracting talent, we are in need of better mass transit infrastructure and higher emphasis of cultural arts. This would provide a more diversified environment to start and build a career, as well as a family.

I would say that I've seen a ton of improvement in the past 10 years since we concluded our findings. Hopefully the momentum can continue.

http://www.whistle.gatech.edu/archiv...1/techga.shtml

Old 12-03-2014, 09:42 PM

1,241 posts, read 983,940 times
Someone posted a link to a "list" of the "smartest cities" and I looked carefully (which some people did not).

Statistics, statistics, ah statistics... You know what they say about statistics don't you?? If you don't I won't tell you because you should know. Statistics do not equal truth. Statistics can be manipulated to say *anything* your little heart desires...

Look at the list posted in this. Look where Atlanta actually is... 35% with Bachelor's degree. Very high number. Roughly equivalent to New York's 37%, Chicago's 35%, Colorado Springs' 35%, Portland's 35%, and Seattle's 39%. Atlanta's is comparable to Charlottesville, Va's (home of prestigious UVA) 42%, Denver's 40%, and Raleigh's 44%. Atlanta's higher than Los Angeles' 32%, Charlotte's 32%, Dallas' 32%, Houston's 31%, Sacramento's 31%, and Miami's 29%. Atlanta's even higher than Blacksburg Va's 29%, which has 2 major universities (Virginia Tech, Radford). Atlanta is doing well education wise. Wikipedia reports 37% of Atlantans have Bachelor's degrees last I looked.

Atlanta recorded an incredible 47% growth rate in Bachelor's degree's from 2000-2013. It's ALREADY well educated people. With 50 some universities, colleges, and seminaries, it should be. People forget that Atlanta's economy DECLINED during the recession. Atlanta fell further than other comparable metros due to the real estate burst. I read nothing that would make me worry. Feel free to panic though, as Atlantans are wont to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or