U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 11:50 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,009,299 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that for certain parts of the city, Mopeds would have a higher adoption rate than they have so far. They do make sense for quite a few people. Between casual errands, light commutes, inner-city driving they have a.....place?

I see them with the younger crowd but, as you watch other countries (Italy, Spain, etc) it seems that they are able to make them work (I know their fuel is much higher and their streets much narrower almost forcing the issue).

They are cheap, average 75-150mpg and have accessories for storage and what have you. Outside of inclement weather days, it seems it would be a feasible transportation alternative/augmentation for many but, we just can't seem to either add them to bike lanes or shoulders for an alternative to cars.

Is it even possible to really push the idea successfully here in Atlanta? Miami? Charlotte? Nashville? Cheap transportation. For half your needs, it's more than enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 12:33 PM

265 posts, read 301,649 times
As someone who is planning on moving to Atlanta, I considered this very thing. The problem is all the OTHER people on the road posing a danger to mopeds. If people in their gigantic behemoth SUVs would demonstrate a bit more intelligence, and a bit less self-absorption, the idea of riding mopeds around town would take off big time.

Because of the traffic there, and the consistent reports of vehicles running red lights and turning when and where they shouldn't, I've decided against buying a moped. Now I just need to try to find affordable housing nearby a MARTA station. If that doesn't pan out... I may very well be adding another vehicle to the Atlanta roads in the near future. But not because I want to.

If only people would embrace public transportation more.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:21 PM

7,797 posts, read 11,729,302 times
For a pretty a big chunk of Atlanta proper, like ITB and surrounding neighborhoods, a moped would work just fine. I see people driving them all the time.

The big problem I see is that it just rains too much here.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:42 PM

124 posts, read 114,589 times
mopeds work fine for certain intown areas but there a few big downsides to widespread adoption

exposed to weather

really easy to steal

much less safe than a car

more polluting

only useful in a limited area

etc etc

Old 12-03-2014, 04:55 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,654,318 times
It doesn't seem like they would cause more pollution at all. They use so much less gas and material than cars it seems like any differences in lifespan or exhaust systems would be negated. I could be wrong of course, but I'd have to see evidence.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:59 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,654,318 times
I guess there is a sort of culture clash with things like this in Atlanta and elsewhere. I've definitively seen numbers of scooters rise a lot in recent years, but there are too many large vehicles for a lot of people to be comfortable. It would help to continue implementing traffic calming measures on major thoroughfares.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:12 PM

72,704 posts, read 64,172,365 times
In European countries where they're popular, they're restricted to parks. They weren't intended to be ridden in major traffic. That's part of the problem. If there were bike lanes, that could work.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:17 PM

4,129 posts, read 3,223,086 times
I saw many in my college town which was interesting seeing the contrast between them and the huge Texas sized trucks.
It was perfect for the smaller city. Cheap, cheaper to run, little maintenance.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:54 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,480,001 times
If anyone buys one, please let me know. I would like to take out a life insurance policy on you.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:44 AM

124 posts, read 114,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
It doesn't seem like they would cause more pollution at all. They use so much less gas and material than cars it seems like any differences in lifespan or exhaust systems would be negated. I could be wrong of course, but I'd have to see evidence.
Taking into consideration the entire lifecycle and resources used to produce a car vs a moped, the moped probably does come out ahead.

The effect of widespread adoption of mopeds on air quality would be a whole different story though. You cant buy a car without a catalytic converter but I can go on craigslist today and choose any one of dozens of two stroke mopeds which just dump particulate into the air at rates which havent been allowed on cars for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta