U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 11:28 PM

3,975 posts, read 3,269,626 times

Advertisements

I'm glad Marta is moving forward despite the lack of help from the State of Georgia and political ignorance and racism that prevents them from expanding significantly. This also weakens the political witch-hunt for those who don't want Marta to move forward.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 03:29 AM

5,396 posts, read 4,910,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
That is good news. Perhaps they can start to cut into the $1 billion in the accumulated deferred maintenance. They are 1% of the way there!
If things continue to go well for the agency, there is a possibility that $1 billion in accumulated deferred maintenance potentially could be eliminated in the future and that any existing long-term funding deficits could become long-term funding surpluses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I'm sure that's a fraction of GDOT's deferred maintenance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
What does that have to do with MARTA's extensive history of failure?
cq actually makes a great point that the historical problem of underfunded transportation operations and maintenance is not unique to MARTA but is also a very severe problem that is found at the state level.

The very severe problem of underfunded transportation operations and maintenance at the state level is found most notably in regards to the statewide road network that GDOT is responsible for maintaining and the regional commuter bus network that GRTA is responsible for operating.

(...GDOT has funding deficits for maintenance of existing roads that are estimated to be north of $1 billion per year.)

A major part of the reason that an agency like MARTA has most often struggled financially and operationally is because of p**s poor transportation management by the level of government which created and "oversees" MARTA which is state government.

Though, it should be noted that even with MARTA's substantial struggles at times, the agency has had some notable successes that should not and cannot be discounted....Notable successes such as:

> Helping Atlanta to land the 1988 Democratic National Convention, an event which helped to set the stage for Atlanta (and Georgia) to win its bid to host the 1996 Summer Olympics two years later in 1990...

> Helping Atlanta to win the rights to host the Super Bowl in 1994 and 2000...

> Helping Atlanta to become the permanent home of the SEC Championship Game in 1994...

> Helping to minimize gridlock as much as was possible by transporting hundreds of thousands of people around the Atlanta area while the 1996 Summer Olympic games were in progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I'm glad Marta is moving forward despite the lack of help from the State of Georgia and political ignorance and racism that prevents them from expanding significantly. This also weakens the political witch-hunt for those who don't want Marta to move forward.
This is an excellent point that MARTA is finding a way to move forward without direct financial help from the State of Georgia.

Though it should be noted that the same state government that is vastly underfunding transit is also vastly underfunding the statewide road network for which it is constitutionally responsible.

Many of the same attitudes at the regional and state levels that have led to an urban transit agency like MARTA being neglected, mismanaged and underfunded are also some of the same attitudes that have led to state agencies like GDOT, SRTA and GRTA being neglected, mismanaged and underfunded at various times.

It is extreme ignorance, dysfunction and incompetence at the state level of government that has led to a mode of transportation that is as critically important as transit being severely undervalued, neglected, mismanaged and underfunded in a 6 million-inhabitant major metro region with a severe dearth of road infrastructure.

Meanwhile it is much of the same extreme ignorance, dysfunction and incompetence of state government that has led to a crucial state transportation agency like GDOT being severely mismanaged and underfunded in a fast-growing state of 10 million inhabitants that serves as a major geographical and logistical crossroads for the entire Southeastern North American continent.

The same extreme ignorance, dysfunction and incompetence that nearly collapsed MARTA in the 2010's (by not structuring MARTA to be funded and operated correctly at its inception) is the same extreme ignorance, dysfunction and incompetence that nearly collapsed GDOT in the late 2000's-early 2010's.

The common thread in those situations is that state officials seemingly don't know how to manage a multimodal transportation network beyond anymore than just a very basic (if not primitive) level.

It almost seems like state officials are still trying to execute a mid-20th Century transportation management model in the 21st Century with non inflation-indexed user fees (...flat-rate user fees (state motor fuel taxes, tolls and transit fares) that don't automatically increase with inflation so that revenues keep pace with operating and maintenance costs) and a severely misguided belief that a severely road infrastructure deficient major metro region of over 6 million people can continue to function without adequate transit infrastructure (as well as without modernized roads).

Old 12-04-2014, 08:50 AM

686 posts, read 512,130 times
This is great news....and pretty obvious to anyone who has ridden it regularly over the past 12 months. Numbers are definitely growing.

If i remember rightly earlier this year when the increased train frequencies came into play it was also mentioned that bus services would also be increased or re-instated at a later date (maybe when more drivers were trained?)....is that still happening? (or did it happen and I missed it?)

Old 12-04-2014, 09:10 AM

7,799 posts, read 11,745,729 times
Great news for MARTA and not surprising for anyone who uses the system on a regular basis. Just imagine how this will look once the new TOD is built.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:46 AM

124 posts, read 114,792 times
Great news and hopefully Parker stays for the long haul. Amazing what a difference competent leadership can make.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:58 PM

3,174 posts, read 3,041,792 times
Glad to see the good ridership numbers & that the MARTA turnaround continues!

Born to Roll
You hit a home run out of the park w/ your post early this morning!
I've had to steadily pick up more MARTA train rides in the past year as a sort of a reliever option for when the city streets are too gridlocked for my regular GRTA express bus service to roll in a timely manner. Oftentimes I become aware of upcoming or sudden serious impediments to rush hour traffic flow & can make a planned or even a hasty, last minute change in my commuting plans so I'm thankful for the MARTA option which is a major part of my transportation equation.
FYI: The trains are CLEAN every time I'm a rider. Also, there is a feeling of watchful security being constantly just around the corner & I NEVER feel ill at ease or threatened. NEVER!
In September I found an article at the the L.A. Times about the spiraling down ridership on their city transit system, including their subway. Earlier this year there was much consternation about MARTA's struggling numbers here at CD on transit threads where MARTA was the butt of much criticism & finger-pointing.
Where is that MARTA hater from the Bay Area who trolled here for a while? LOL!

Old 12-05-2014, 11:23 AM

4,054 posts, read 3,715,428 times
After taking the DC metro the past 3 days on a visit, I have a greater appreciation for a non distance based system MARTA uses. Spending $4-5.35 on the train and $1.75 on the bus each way to get to my destination got very expensive, when your spending $12-14 a day on transit.

With passes costing this much on WMATA:
One Day Pass $14.50,
7-Day Fast Pass $59.25
28-Day Fast Pass $237

I hope this will change peoples minds who want MARTA to go to a distance based system. While it wouldnt be as much as WMATA, taking transit would not even be worth it.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:30 AM

454 posts, read 427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
After taking the DC metro the past 3 days on a visit, I have a greater appreciation for a non distance based system MARTA uses. Spending $4-5.35 on the train and $1.75 on the bus each way to get to my destination got very expensive, when your spending $12-14 a day on transit.

With passes costing this much on WMATA:
One Day Pass $14.50,
7-Day Fast Pass $59.25
28-Day Fast Pass $237

I hope this will change peoples minds who want MARTA to go to a distance based system. While it wouldnt be as much as WMATA, taking transit would not even be worth it.
$12-14 a day on transit is more economical than the cost of car ownership. Payments, gas, insurance, repairs, and tag add up to significantly more than that on average.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:08 AM

4,054 posts, read 3,715,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
$12-14 a day on transit is more economical than the cost of car ownership. Payments, gas, insurance, repairs, and tag add up to significantly more than that on average.

True, but there are some times you have to get somewhere fast and transit doesnt cut it. When I left DC it would have taken 1hr-1hr 10 mins to get to the airport for a early morning flight on the metro vs a 20 min ride on uber. It was $17 for the uber ride vs $7 for a metro trip, but I had no choice.

But with DC rush hour, the metro beats sitting in that traffic any day. But if MARTA charged $3-5 each way im such it could do much more as well.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:42 AM

9,918 posts, read 6,919,053 times
MARTA needs distance based fares!

It is ridiculous that someone will be able to ride from Lovejoy to Alpharetta for the same price as going from downtown to midtown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or