U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 07:59 PM

5,006 posts, read 3,492,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Ease of access for employers and clients. I wish Lenox Mall had a direct connection, across the street isn't always great.
My bad, I meant "Why would they want to pay to build a direct connection when the station is literally right across the street?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 08:14 PM

4,147 posts, read 5,749,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Is there a real world example where this has been successfully implemented?
Does NYC MTA count with their real estate transfer tax?

Old 12-08-2014, 09:36 PM

165 posts, read 122,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
After taking the DC metro the past 3 days on a visit, I have a greater appreciation for a non distance based system MARTA uses. Spending $4-5.35 on the train and $1.75 on the bus each way to get to my destination got very expensive, when your spending $12-14 a day on transit.

With passes costing this much on WMATA:
One Day Pass $14.50,
7-Day Fast Pass $59.25
28-Day Fast Pass $237

I hope this will change peoples minds who want MARTA to go to a distance based system. While it wouldnt be as much as WMATA, taking transit would not even be worth it.
Interesting. It seems to me like since DC is one of the more wealthier metro areas in the country, WMATA would certainly be expensive. I'm sure once more jobs/destinations find their way around stations a distance based fare would become more appropriate for the system.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:17 PM

5,420 posts, read 4,918,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
One way of generating much additional revenue that has strangely been almost completely overlooked in regards to MARTA and most other major North American systems is from real estate profits from transit authority-owned land and fees from other commercial real estate holdings along transit lines.

Collecting revenue from prime commercial real estate holdings along transit lines is so important because it is a stream of revenue that can subsidize fares, operations, maintenance and future expansions and potential negate the need for a transit agency to have to literally beg for aid from external sources (like severely cash strapped governments at the local, regional, state and federal levels).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Would it be appropriate for MARTA to charge State Farm for connecting it its Dunwoody station?
Instead of attempting to charge a company like State Farm (or the real estate company that owns the property that State Farm will be using for their office operations) for being located close to (or even connecting into or tying into) a rail transit station, a transit agency like MARTA would partner with companies like State Farm and the real estate company that owns the buildings and complex where the State Farm offices will be located near a rail transit stop like Dunwoody.

A real estate/public-private partnership-minded transit agency like a MARTA would partner with the private sector from top (big mega corporations) to bottom (small mom-and-pop operations) by privatizing the critically important revenue-taking portion of transit operations by outsourcing that crucial function to Atlanta's robust private sector.

Outsourcing crucial revenue-taking functions to the Metro Atlanta private sector can be done in multiple ways like:

> Profit-sharing agreements arranged through the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce (profit-sharing agreements where business owners and commercial property owners agree to pay or donate a portion of their real estate and/or sales profits to transit operations in an agreement that is similar to the property owners and businesses of the Cumberland Community Improvement District agreeing to pay part of the costs of the new Braves' Stadium in Cobb County and/or the property and business owners of the Perimeter CID agreeing to pay about $450 million of the cost of the reconstruction of the I-285/GA 400 interchange)...

> Sales of real estate development shares to the private sector (which would be one of multiple ways to raise money for new real estate acquisitions)...

> Aggressive sales of sponsorships to private entities large and small with purchasers of the sponsorships getting various benefits....Benefits like their names on a brick or stone at a station on the transit system and unlimited rides for a certain period of time depending on the amount of the sponsorship purchase.

Real estate is all about relationships and partnerships and by engaging in something as lucrative as real estate development to fund transit operations, a transit agency like MARTA would be building important relationships with Metro Atlanta's very robust private sector by partnering with Metro Atlanta's very robust private sector to help fund transit at the very high level that it is needed throughout the mobility-challenged Atlanta region.

MARTA CEO Keith Parker has already started this approach of guiding the transit agency to have better external relationships by engaging in a much less hostile, much less antagonistic and much more productive relationship with the Georgia Legislature with whom MARTA has traditionally had a toxic relationship with at times throughout the transit agency's tumultuous existence.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:10 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,541,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2201987 View Post
Interesting. It seems to me like since DC is one of the more wealthier metro areas in the country, WMATA would certainly be expensive. I'm sure once more jobs/destinations find their way around stations a distance based fare would become more appropriate for the system.
I cringe when I hear that even though it's 100% true. Most of the people i know make over 80k and still can't afford a house in DC. I prefer to call it expensive instead of wealthy.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:31 AM

4,058 posts, read 3,720,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Please lol. I see you never been on the Green line to Branch Ave or the Orange Line to New Carrollton. Go to Gallery Place Station on Friday or Saturday night and get back with me. Or get on at L'Enfant Plaza when those ghetto kids get out of school.
I stayed at the convention center in national harbor, I had to take the Green line everyday to Branch Ave. Maybe ive just been lucky, but I go to DC every year and use the train all day and have yet to experience any wild behavior on the trains, but at the same time I have not experienced any wild behavior on MARTA pretty much this year either for the 1-2 times a week I use the train.

I was at L'Efant around that time, but it was more business people than anything else.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:07 AM

6,382 posts, read 4,540,131 times
Does anyone know where one can see the monthly ridership numbers for Marta? How are these stats gathered? Do they count the Entrance (tap in numbers) the Exit (tap off numbers)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or