Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 02:08 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,084,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
MARTA needs distance based fares!

It is ridiculous that someone will be able to ride from Lovejoy to Alpharetta for the same price as going from downtown to midtown!
Not necessarily. When I tried to go from Regan airport to Pentagon city mall, it was $3.35 for just going 2 stops and $5.35 to go 10+ stops to the end of another line, so it was pretty much $2-3 just to use the train at all during peak periods.

Unless MARTA makes it where it would be under $1 for just going a stop, a flat flare would be better. And we all know how the whole distance based fares argument will work out when it is brought up. The end of the Blue line is Indian Creek in Stn Mtn, HE Holmes in West Atlanta and for the Red and Gold lines, College Park and Doraville. The first cry of outrage will be that minorities have to pay the most to get to their jobs downtown and in the Northern suburbs, since they live the furthest.

Last edited by SAAN; 12-08-2014 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 03:04 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,807,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Not necessarily. When I tried to go from Regan airport to Pentagon city mall, it was $3.35 for just going 2 stops and $5.35 to go 10+ stops to the end of another line, so it was pretty much $2-3 just to use the train at all during peak periods.

Unless MARTA makes it where it would be under $1 for just going a stop, a flat flare would be better. And we all know how the whole distance based fares argument will work out when it is brought up. The end of the Blue line is Indian Creek in Stn Mtn, HE Holmes in West Atlanta and for the Red and Gold lines, College Park and Doraville. The first cry of outrage will be that minorities have to pay the most to get to their jobs downtown and in the Northern suburbs, since they live the furthest.
A price increase is something different. If MARTA does proper distance based fares then that means the cheapest fares will go down (probably to ~$1). MARTA should not harm riders that commute shorter distances to benefit those that commute further. Those in poor areas without a car that have to pay $5 (round trip) to go get a $4 gallon of milk a mile away are having to subsidize the cost of the Consultant taking the train from North Springs to the Airport for the same price.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:12 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,759,775 times
Quote:
MARTA needs distance based fares!

It is ridiculous that someone will to park e able to ride from this was ejoy to Alpharetta for the same price as going from downtown to midtown!
F that! (No disrepect lol) You know I was spending $75 per week in DC to ride the Metro. It cost $5 per day to park and $10 round trip. This was b4 that peak hour bs so it's probably higher now. Please don't bring that to Atlanta. San Fran was worst! I paid over $11 to go from San Francisco airport to Oakland

Old 12-08-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
F that! You know I was spending $75 per week in DC to ride the Metro. It cost $5 per day to park and $10 round trip. This was b4 that peak hour bs so it's probably higher now. Please don't bring that to Atlanta
Price increase is not the same as distance based fares. WMATA is a more expensive and expansive system.

And MARTA should take your willingness to pay that higher WMATA fare in mind. MARTA is cheaper but not as many ride it. Clearly low price is not a big driver to higher ridership.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Price increase is not the same as distance based fares. WMATA is a more expensive and expansive system.

And MARTA should take your willingness to pay that higher WMATA fare in mind. MARTA is cheaper but not as many ride it. Clearly low price is not a big driver to higher ridership.
True but still. There are plenty of other ways to get additional revenue besides doing that

Old 12-08-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
True but still. There are plenty of other ways to get additional revenue besides doing that
What did you have in mind?

Old 12-08-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
What did you have in mind?

Not me but the current Marta president is doing a great job as far as bringing in additional revenue

Old 12-08-2014, 04:34 PM

I know the Metro is a far superior than Marta but Marta ' s monthly pass is $97 and it's $237 for a Metro monthly pass. Marta doesn't need to be that expensive

Old 12-08-2014, 04:38 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,084,253 times
Quote:

The reason DC metro can charge that much is because traffic is terrible in DC and parking is a issue in DC too. In Atlanta, there are alot of parking garages downtown, so your not really forced to ride MARTA.

MARTA also has reputation issues it is slowly getting over, in which much of suburbia feared for their life if they had to ride the train. I have yet to see the wild behavior on the WMATA that I have seen on the Blue line and South of 5 pts in the past.
Im sure once the Red line goes to Winward Pkwy, a Line to Stonecrest is built and a line to the CDC along with the line in Clayton, MARTA will get much more ridership, but this will probably be by 2030 before all this happens.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
The reason DC metro can charge that much is because traffic is terrible in DC and parking is a issue in DC too. In ASaturday nta, there are alot of parking garages downtown, so your not really forced to ride MARTA.

MARTA also has reputation issues it is slowly getting over, in which much of suburbia feared for their life if they had to ride the train. I have yet to see the wild behavior on the WMATA that I have seen on the Blue line and South of 5 pts in the past.
Im sure once the Red line goes to Winward Pkwy, a Line to Stonecrest is built and a line to the CDC along with the line in Clayton, MARTA will get much more ridership, but this will probably be by 2030 before all this happens.
Please lol. I see you never been on the Green line to Branch Ave or the Orange Line to New Carrollton. Go to Gallery Place Station on Friday or Saturday night and get back with me. Or get on at L'Enfant Plaza when those ghetto kids get out of school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta