U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 01:19 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,967,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevst7 View Post
Thank you to all those who have responded. I have received quite of bit of information and it has helped immensely. I am still not sure what I will get because I am trying to think of my future needs as well. I may want a boat somewhere in the near future and even though awd and 4wd is not necessarily needed for that either, I have always loved having it when I've had a boat.
If you do a LOT of boating, then AWD -- or better in this case, fully lockable 4WD -- can be a big help getting you up slippery boat launches especially with a loaded trailer. If you only use your boat once in a while, then the cost-benefit calculation of the extra up-front cost and the slight fuel economy hit becomes less favorable toward AWD.

Otherwise... as I mentioned, even way up here next to Canada, most of us get by just fine with 2WD, though it should be said that we have the equipment to make sure our roads are cleared off within hours of a snowfall. Meanwhile down in Atlanta, it sounds like a couple inches is enough to shut down the city until it melts off in a day or two so you wouldn't be expected to go anywhere anyway; but if you just have to be out and about after a snowfall, a set of all-season tires with a tread pattern optimized for traction in light snow and mud will get you around just fine through up to 4 to 6 inches of snow. The tradeoff is that all-seasons optimized for such duty will provide passable traction at best in fair weather conditions, so don't plan on any assertive switchback-driving on 'em come summertime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 03:35 PM

4,131 posts, read 3,239,148 times
AWD definitely helps for pulling boats out. Our RWD Ram struggles whenever there's too much sand on the ramp. Fortunately though it's usually just once a year. If it were a weekly thing it'd be worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or