U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 12:23 AM

51 posts, read 40,215 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Atlanta in January and I will also be changing my car soon. I am looking at an SUV or minivan. I know that Atlanta doesn't see much snow, but I have heard about occasional black ice and whatnot. I was wondering if AWD is necessary, or would that really be an extra expense that is not needed? I am from South Florida where it is definitely not needed, but although Atlanta weather has it similarities in summer, it is quite different in winter. Any help is appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 01:42 AM

913 posts, read 981,352 times
Not needed but kinda nice to have for those few days out of the year that it might snow or if you want to travel during the winter or to go skiing/snowboarding. I had a RWD, but i was able to work from home and had no kids to pick up.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:40 AM

5,368 posts, read 4,891,347 times
I agree with kasuga888 that AWD generally will not be needed throughout most of the Atlanta region except on maybe a scant few days out of the winter season, if that.

Although, AWD could probably come in handy if one will be doing a lot of winter driving in the high foothills and low mountains of the Blue Ridge and Southern Appalachian ranges that are north of Atlanta where frozen precipitation and inclement winter weather is not necessarily completely uncommon.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:04 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,825,558 times
Jeez, even up here in the Snow Belt I'd estimate at least 75% of passenger vehicles are 2WD. I can't imagine anyone thinking AWD would even be practical in Atlanta, much less necessary.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:51 AM

4,908 posts, read 3,708,076 times
If you can afford it, there's no reason not to have it. It's handy during the days of the year with rain as well.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:03 AM

1,685 posts, read 1,669,750 times
Totally personal decision. I would say it is a luxury. For the most part in Atlanta, the city shuts down for those few days a year when we have snow/ice. Last year's ice storm was a bit of an anomaly in that the snow came in the middle of the day, stranding many people and causing gridlock. Usually you wake up to the snow. . .and just stay home with 2WD car parked in driveway for the duration.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:24 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,800,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Totally personal decision. I would say it is a luxury. For the most part in Atlanta, the city shuts down for those few days a year when we have snow/ice. Last year's ice storm was a bit of an anomaly in that the snow came in the middle of the day, stranding many people and causing gridlock. Usually you wake up to the snow. . .and just stay home with 2WD car parked in driveway for the duration.
This.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:14 AM

1,957 posts, read 1,997,044 times
No, its not necessary. First off, ice in Atlanta is pretty rare. Snow that sticks is also pretty rare. Appreciable snow accumulation is a once-every-7-years occurrence.

Even if we get snow, all wheel drive will guarantee control or safety.

That said, all wheel drive is a nice feature to have if needed.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:08 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,115,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevst7 View Post
I will be moving to Atlanta in January and I will also be changing my car soon. I am looking at an SUV or minivan. I know that Atlanta doesn't see much snow, but I have heard about occasional black ice and whatnot. I was wondering if AWD is necessary, or would that really be an extra expense that is not needed? I am from South Florida where it is definitely not needed, but although Atlanta weather has it similarities in summer, it is quite different in winter. Any help is appreciated.
Also, please remember that AWD helps you move forward but does nothing to help you stop. AWD also drinks more gas! I drive an AWD car and it was useful last winter but I hate that the car is heavier and that it is not as fuel efficient as a 2WD car. So in the end it comes down to your personal preference.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:44 AM

283 posts, read 268,282 times
AWD isn't effective on pure ice - nothing really is. Knowing how to control your vehicle > AWD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or