U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 11:35 AM

1,979 posts, read 1,760,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
the thing is I don't think people elsewhere in the country even realize what the situation is in places like Los Angeles. Here, virtually nobody who isn't stinking rich can even dream of owning anything bigger than a micro shack. 800 sqft micro shacks are selling for half million dollars... while the prevailing salaries in my profession are almost the same as in ATL. So, yes, LA has great weather and some other great things but that is like saying ok, this Toyota Corolla has some nice leather so pay $300,000 for it LMAO! You see how asinine it has become?

Now some people say fine I will pay $300,000 for the Toyota Corolla with leather but of course for some of us more rational it's time to move on to places that have some semblance of logic left in terms of home valuations with relation to income levels

Rather than take on debt at 10 times income like a huge number of people in LA are doing I would rather just spend the traditional 3 times income in another place. There was a recent documentary on people in Southern California trying to outbid investors and then making comments like "Oh! I got the house after outbidding the investor but now I have to eat Ramen noodles for the next 10 years" WTF? People here have just become insane I think. But that is how it is. Maybe it's mad cow disease from the UK I don't quite know what it is...
This is solid reasoning. And a major reason I wouldn't move out west. It's like Europe. or New York. I presume most people rent...what are the rents like though? on par with mortgages, or affordable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 12:06 PM

4,916 posts, read 3,311,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
This is solid reasoning. And a major reason I wouldn't move out west. It's like Europe. or New York. I presume most people rent...what are the rents like though? on par with mortgages, or affordable?
Tryska, for the most part rent is nuts. Of course there are word of mouth deals if you know people and get lucky, but most pay crazy rates out there.

My boss shares a 3 bedroom house with 2 roommates in the Northpark neighborhood of San Diego (similar to Poncey-Highland, sort of) for $3,400.00 a month.

Single people well into their 50's have roommates, it's very common because of the insane housing costs. SoCal is an absolutely wonderful place to live, but do they ever pay for it.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:38 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,653,461 times
I see houses on Zillion in LA for 350k

Old 12-07-2014, 02:41 AM

5,445 posts, read 8,399,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
I see houses on Zillion in LA for 350k
Probably in South Central, that is a extremely dangerous part of Los Angeles with frequent drive by shootings, armed robberies and other violent crime. LA has a big gang problem. Even in neighborhoods where home prices are north of half million there are parts that are gang infested. This is the reason that neighborhoods that are deemed safe throughout command an insane premium.

In 2012 prices in the LA/OC area went down drastically and they were somewhat affordable but that did not last for very long, within a few months of that happening prices skyrocketed again by 30-40%. Last year inventory was so low that Realtors were not even showing the inside of houses to prospective buyers, you had to make an offer by seeing it from the outside... right now inventory is still pretty low and homes are still attracting buyers willing to pay list.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Probably correin South Central, that is a extremely dangerous part of Los Angeles with frequent drive by shootings, armed robberies and other violent crime. LA has a big gang problem. Even in neighborhoods where home prices are north of half million there are parts that are gang infested. This is the reason that neighborhoods that are deemed safe throughout command an insane premium.

In 2012 prices in the LA/OC area went down drastically and they were somewhat affordable but that did not last for very long, within a few months of that happening prices skyrocketed again by 30-40%. Last year inventory was so low that Realtors were not even showing the inside of houses to prospective buyers, you had to make an offer by seeing it from the outside... right now inventory is still pretty low and homes are still attracting buyers willing to pay list.
I meant Zillow. That damn auto correct

That's crazy. Those homes that I did conditions were horrible. Crazy people most of my friends here are between 24-30 and they already have 4 bedroom houses and they are living by themselves

Old 12-07-2014, 09:30 AM

203 posts, read 156,957 times
Quote:
I meant Zillow. That damn auto correct

That's crazy. Those homes that I did conditions were horrible. Crazy people most of my friends here are between 24-30 and they already have 4 bedroom houses and they are living by themselves
L.A. and Atlanta are so different in culture, and overall feel, that it's laughable to even compare the two cities.

L.A. has year round great weather, beaches, mountains, walkability (in many areas), great nightlife, a ton of great restaurants and is extremely diverse with respect to people, and their overall interests. Unfortunately, the same can not be said about Atlanta. Although I enjoyed living in Atlanta, I'd much prefer to rent in a city with all that L.A. has to offer, than to buy in Atlanta. But different people have different needs.

I imagine that families are in search of affordability, good schools, and nice neighborhoods, which are easy to find in the Atlanta suburbs. Although it's not my cup of tea, I do understand why families would be interested in moving there..

Old 12-07-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Probably in South Central, that is a extremely dangerous part of Los Angeles with frequent drive by shootings, armed robberies and other violent crime.
I thought segments of South Central are experiencing gentrification?
Steve Sailer: iSteve: White gentrification of South-Central L.A. begins

Old 12-07-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
the thing is I don't think people elsewhere in the country even realize what the situation is in places like Los Angeles. Here, virtually nobody who isn't stinking rich can even dream of owning anything bigger than a micro shack. 800 sqft micro shacks are selling for half million dollars... while the prevailing salaries in my profession are almost the same as in ATL. So, yes, LA has great weather and some other great things but that is like saying ok, this Toyota Corolla has some nice leather so pay $300,000 for it LMAO! You see how asinine it has become?
But if you don't have a family, why do you need a gigantic house? Truth be told, the "micro shack" in L.A. will appreciate and be worth far more than the mcMansion in Atlanta, because of the nature of the L.A. real estate market.

Quote:
Now some people say fine I will pay $300,000 for the Toyota Corolla with leather but of course for some of us more rational it's time to move on to places that have some semblance of logic left in terms of home valuations with relation to income levels
I think the job market for engineers in Atlanta is relatively good compared to other white collar professions. But in reality, a number of white collar professionals are not paid well in Atlanta. I seriously doubt that the average professional in Atlanta makes 85K/year. Most professionals in the area are probably making closer to 55K, which means that the 300K home in the good parts of the Atlanta metro area are not really affordable (unless they are married or living with someone who makes a comparable salary).

I lived in Atlanta and made a very good income, but I knew several people who constantly complained about the exorbitant housing cost in Atlanta. They thought I was crazy for renting an apartment across from Piedmont Park in Midtown Atlanta. I however laughed all the way to the bank because a comparable apartment in NYC or DC cost so much more. I was only in Atlanta for a short period (because I was on a short-term work related assignment) but I saved a great amount of money while there. I know however that many people who didn't earn as much as me, lived in the suburbs, and constantly complained about their commuting time and traffic.

Overall, I liked Midtown, but I wasn't really expecting it to be great. Just remember that the culture is not the same as what one may be accustomed to on the West or East Coast. Also, the vibe and feel is very different. I won't say it's a bad thing, but it definitely takes some adjusting if you grew up on the East or West Coast.

Quote:
Rather than take on debt at 10 times income like a huge number of people in LA are doing I would rather just spend the traditional 3 times income in another place. There was a recent documentary on people in Southern California trying to outbid investors and then making comments like "Oh! I got the house after outbidding the investor but now I have to eat Ramen noodles for the next 10 years" WTF? People here have just become insane I think. But that is how it is. Maybe it's mad cow disease from the UK I don't quite know what it is...
True, I agree, but just keep in mind that when you arrive in Atlanta, it won't be anything like Southern California. You will be able to get a big house for a fraction of what you would pay in a place like L.A., but you won't have the same culture, nightlife, city amenities, or the other things that are often taken for granted in Southern CA. There will however be advantages to residing in Atlanta, like a slower pace, affordability and beautiful landscaping throughout many communities, but just keep in mind that there are major advantages and major disadvantages to residing in both of those localities. If you relocate with an open mind and realize that there will be trade offs, you will probably have a much smoother transition.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_Springs View Post
L.A. and Atlanta are so different in culture, and overall feel, that it's laughable to even compare the two cities.

L.A. has year round greahorrible, beaches, mountains, walkability (in many areas), great nightlife, a ton of great restaurants and is extremely diverse with respect to people, and their overall interests. Unfortunately, the same can not be said about Atlanta. Although I enjoyed living in Atlanta, I'd much prefer to rent in a city with all that L.A. has to offer, than to buy in Atlanta. But different people have different needs.

I imagine that families are in search of affordability, good schools, and nice neighborhoods, which are easy to find in the Atlanta suburbs. Although it's not my cup of tea, I do understand why families would be interested in moving there..
DC isn't my cup of tea either. Horrible traffic even on Saturday and Sunday, horrible cost of living, horrible transportation cost, extremely boring nightlife since everyone just stands around and are too scared to dance and have fun, early last call, horrible restaurant scene, horrible taxes, rude people, it has the highest HIV rate in America, the lowest marriage rate in America plus the crackhead natives voted in a crackhead mayor years ago and LA has more to offer than DC. Most people in DC who aren't forced to live there would probably rather be in LA.

Comparing Atlanta to DC is laughable to me lol. Yes DC is more walkable, has better transportation/museums but Atlanta has better topography, much better restaurants, better nightlife unless you just enjoy staring at people in DC, we have better festivals, much better music festivals, more concerts, we have more annual visitors, better looking women, we don't have a 24/7 work culture that DC has, people are more friendly here, better shopping here especially by April 2015, etc. Please don't come here talking about Atlanta when your city has the highest Aids rate in America and yall voted in a crackhead mayor. Btw I'm not responding to your reply since natives of DC love smoking crack. I lived in DC and couldn't wait to leave and come back to Atlanta.

Last edited by afdinatl; 12-07-2014 at 11:39 AM..

Old 12-07-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
DC isn't my cup of tea either. Horrible traffic even on Saturday and Sunday, horrible cost of living, horrible transportation cost, extremely boring nightlife since everyone just stands around and are too scared to dance and have fun, early last call, horrible restaurant scene, horrible taxes, rude people, it has the highest HIV rate in America, the lowest marriage rate in America plus the crackhead natives voted in a crackhead mayor years ago and LA has more to offer than DC. Most people in DC who aren't forced to live there would probably rather be in LA.
Have you ever resided in DC or a close in suburb near D.C.? If you haven't then you can't really comment on what life is like in D.C. I have lived in Atlanta, and although it's not exactly my cup of tea, I wouldn't berate all of Atlanta and state that it is a horrible place to live.

D.C. has certain disadvantages, but it also has many major advantages (such as a very stable economic climate, due to the fed). Although it's on the pricey side, it's still affordable for many white collar professionals, since the median salary for professionals in the metro is around the six figure mark).

The HIV prevalence rates in DC is pretty high amongst those who engage in high risk activities (such as using IV drugs, and those who practice unsafe sex with high risk partners), but that's pretty much the case all over the world. Also, the last time I checked, no one is forced to live anywhere; --that's one of the beautiful things about being an American, you can live in any state or U.S. owned territory.

I have lived in Atlanta and I currently reside in the DC metro area. Both areas have their advantages; however, I'm happy for the time being to call the DC metro area my home. Atlanta is not a bad place to reside, but it simply wasn't for me. I'm initially from NYC, so I'm accustomed to a total different way of life. I have lived in Southern California as well (and have many cousins who currently reside in the area). In all honestly, if I could earn the same amount that I currently earn in DC, I'd be willing to relocate to Southern California again, in a heart beat.

Quote:
Comparing Atlanta to DC is laughable to me lol. Yes DC is more walkable, has better transportation/museums but Atlanta has better topography, much better restaurants, better nightlife unless you just enjoy staring at people in DC, we have better festivals, much better music festivals, more concerts, we have more annual visitors, better looking women, we don't have a 24/7 work culture that DC has, people are more friendly here, better shopping here especially by April 2015, etc.
Everyone has a right to express their opinion. If you believe such is the case, that's fine. Let's just agree to disagree.

Quote:
Please don't come here talking about Atlanta when your city has the highest Aids rate in America and yall voted in a crackhead mayor. Btw I'm not responding to your reply since natives of DC love smoking crack. I lived in DC and couldn't wait to leave and come back to Atlanta.
Relax and re-read my earlier statements to the OP. I essentially stated that every area has advantages and disadvantages. Many people unfortunately only focus on affordability, without realizing that there are so many variables which determine whether a city is a good fit. One city may be very affordable in relative terms, but it may not provide a conducive cultural experience, or upward mobility; while another city may be costly, but it offers a more diverse group of people with different interests, great professional opportunities, greater social engagement, better weather and a host of other pluses. It really depends on what the person is interested in and the reason for relocating..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or