U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 02:22 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,065,469 times

Advertisements

^^

I couldn't agree more with everything Claire stated above. These are the exact reasons I've decided to move from an "affordable" city to a more expensive metro area that will offer me an overall better quality of life. Personally, I feel the intangibles offered by most of our urban US cities outweigh the cheaper standard of living in low COL areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 09:58 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,578,629 times
L374 if you have solid career experience in the i.t. field then you should be good. I do not, I repeat DO NOT recommend moving here without a job. The economy and the inclusive/exclusive is a factor regarding supporting yourself. Check on dice.com for job listings. Good luck to you.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:59 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,802,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
I wouldn't move anywhere without a job. It's only common sense.
Most places won't hire an out of state candidate because there is almost always a plethora of local candidates. Unless you have a hard to find skill, it's not happening. When I was looking to make my move to LA, hiring managers would hang up on me once they found out during the interview I was out of state. And I don't blame them. Why would I, as a Hiring Manager take a chance on someone who may never show up in the city, who may never make the move or have a change of heart? And if they did, may get homesick and move back 6 months down the road. Because that happens.

OP, I have moved to Chicago, Dallas (twice), Salt Lake City, LA, and Montana with no job lined up. It can be done, you just have to be frugal and smart about it. I know plenty of others who have done it as well. You need enough money to survive some time without a a job and you can't be picky about job hunting. Take any job you can get to get some income coming in, then look for the job you want. In all my moves I usually have a job within the first month (Montana was the exception: 2 months), then I start looking for better one's. I would go over to the General Moving Forum for better advice from people who have done these moves. You are not going to get much support from natives in here because most have never moved to another state.

Old Today, 04:03 PM

1 posts
Hey guys so here's the thing. I have a bachelor of arts degree in film and media production. I have at least 9 to 10 years of experience now. I currently live in Michigan but every time I applied for jobs I never hear back from employers. Or I'll make it to the second stage of interviews only not to be offered the job. My question is would I be better suited to move to Atlanta without a job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or