U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-05-2014, 04:41 PM
bu2
 
8,985 posts, read 5,692,118 times
Reputation: 3545

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Gridlock hasn't forced growth on the south side yet ... what makes you think it will in the future? Henry County is really the only South Metro county that has a north metro development mindset. Leaders there have said they want to be the next Gwinnett, and it makes sense. The two counties are about the same size, the same distance from downtown and are bisected by an interstate with many exits. Henry has terrible roads, though, and that's a problem.

Clayton County won't grow much more ... MARTA might help, but that's years down the road. Coweta County has several big development projects coming and is going to boom .... but Fayette County is a different story. Growth has slowed to a trickle due to a lack of affordable housing or good paying jobs to attract young families with young children. The school system had to close 4 schools last year because of declining enrollment. It's turning into a retirement community. Hopefully, Pinewood Studios will change that. But Fayette will always be low-density.
I've seen it in Houston, Dallas and Austin. They all grew mostly to the north and west. Finally it started filtering south and east. Simply supply and demand. Reasonably priced housing with decent schools and a manageable commute. Once the manageable commute to the north becomes too much of a problem for many and the price of raw lots gets too high, growth starts happening in different directions.

I expected Houston's south to boom in the 80s when the South Freeway was opened up. It took about 20 years longer, but Pearland has become one of the fastest growing areas in the country. So it may take a while, but eventually those southern counties will take off. They already have the freeways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-05-2014, 04:50 PM
 
5,415 posts, read 4,914,320 times
Reputation: 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
I agree! Peachtree City is truly remarkable and one of my favorites too. If I were to live on the southside, it would be in PC. The thing that strikes me about the southern metro is how flat it is compared to the northern parts. I like the hilly, forested terrain of the north and that would be my primary reason for moving there instead. I also like the views of the Chattahooche and it's many feeder rivers/creeks. I really think that these two natural features are resoponsible for the enormous growth that occurred in the north metro.
These are some excellent points.

Peachtree City, while it may not necessarily appeal to me directly, is a great outer suburban community for those who enjoy more of a somewhat controlled outer suburban lifestyle (as opposed to the haphazard development that has overrun Northside areas like Cobb, North Fulton and Gwinnett).

You also make an excellent point about the much more hilly and wooded terrain on the Northside fueling much of the massive (if not crushing) growth that has occurred in the Atlanta region north of Interstate 20.

Another thing that has played a major factor in the massive growth of the Northside is the presence of Lake Allatoona in Northwest Metro Atlanta and Lake Lanier in Northeast Metro Atlanta as well as the close distance of the southernmost ranges of the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains north of Atlanta.

After the creation of Lakes Allatoona and Lanier in the 1950's, many Atlanta real estate developers began conspiring to intentionally aim and guide Metro Atlanta's long-term development patterns towards the popular lakes and the scenic foothills and mountains north of the city.

The real estate developers aimed and guided Metro Atlanta's long-term development patterns towards Lakes Allatoona and Lanier and the mountains in part by pushing the construction of largely speculative major roads like US 41 (which was widened to a divided 4-lane highway well before I-75 was completed), I-575, GA 400 and I-985.

The real estate developers also made sure that the current radial Interstates and expressways had an abundance of exits through outlying Northside areas like Cobb, North Fulton, Forsyth and Gwinnett counties while they were being planned by state and federal highway planners back in the 1950's.

It is the presence of Lakes Allatoona and Lanier, the much more hilly and heavily wooded terrain and the close distance to the mountains that are major reasons why the Northside has grown so much more than the Southside and why the Southside will most likely never see the crushing amount of growth that the Northside has and will continue to see.

Because of the increased amenities of the Northside, the Southside likely will never match the Northside in terms of overdevelopment, population growth, traffic and political clout.

But the Southside will continue to see a very substantial amount of growth in its own right because of its very close location to the world's busiest airport and real estate prices that are comparatively significantly cheaper than on the Northside where areas like Cobb, North Fulton and Gwinnett are nearing total buildout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 04:54 PM
 
Location: ATLANTA
1,870 posts, read 1,176,268 times
Reputation: 1306
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
When do you think growth will finally occur in the south metro, and how? Also I would like to know what's you favorite thing about the southside, and what keeps you from living there.( Job isn't there, Crime, Schools, Retail, Reputation)

Not Sure Exactlly where you Live my Friend but HENRY COUNTY!!!! TRAFFIC, TRAFFIC, GROWTH AND SPRAWL... ENOUGH SAID...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Valdosta (Atlanta Native)
3,451 posts, read 2,829,870 times
Reputation: 2151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I can only offer my personal take...

I've lived in Atlanta for almost 20 years. No matter where you live, you usually find reason to go to certain areas for one reason or another. You want to check out AMC Prime and it's in Alpharetta, you get invited to a friend's house in Marietta, or you need a specialty piece of furniture that is only available in a store in Lawrenceville. Whatever the reason, we find ourselves visiting communities we don't live in.

As long as I have lived in Atlanta, I have NEVER had occasion to visit the southside, save for to visit friends on a couple of occasions in Peachtree City. As a result, I just don't really KNOW VERY MUCH about it.

AND, when we visit places, sometimes it piques our interest. For example, if you have to come to Duluth for something, you might say, "wow, there are a lot of authentic Asian restaurants here, I'll have to remember this so I can come check them out sometime." And then you do, and become familiar with the area. But my visits to the southside, which have admittedly been limited to Peachtree City and I-75 exits on the way to Florida, I just didn't see anything that made me feel like I needed to return for anything.

It seemed to embody all the things people complain about when talking about the suburbs. Nothing but chain restaurants and a pretty bland are with no real character. I know that's not true of the northern suburbs, but it really seems more true of the southern ones. I recently wandered into South Lake Mall because I was in the area. There's no reason for me to ever return.

I will say that going to Tomorrowworld made me appreciate how beautiful South Fulton is. But there's really nothing down there, just a bunch of houses and nothing I saw that would make me want to come back for a visit. Because after all, on a normal day, I can't just run around on some guy's horse farm.

So I guess you would say the southside has no real draw. People don't find themselves exploring it much because what is there to explore? It's also not densely populated, so there is less of a chance that you will find yourself there visiting friends.
You haven't seen all of the southside then. Let me sum this up for ya. Jonesboro Rd in Forest Park and Lake City is where you find all of the ethnic restaurants. Even one of Buford Highway's best vietnamese restaurants started in Forest Park. Morrow and places south is more like Cobb, where there is hardly any signs of diversity. But even though the southside doesn't have big attractions, we do have potential. Historic Downtown Jonesboro, Fayetteville, and Mcdonough could become big draws. Old Towne Morrow has had decent concerts in it's early years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 08:14 PM
 
2,599 posts, read 2,985,863 times
Reputation: 1426
For some reason, I thought this thread was about the close-in south suburban areas like College Park, East Point, Riverdale. Those bordering the city. I would think those would be the next logical areas to see growth after more oversaturation and pricing intown. I think from a business perspective these areas make sense for employers. It's near the airport, plenty of less expensive land and space to build. I believe if companies place jobs in these areas, and amenities like more hospitals, restaurants, etc, people will come. No one wants to commute so they will move down. If they believe the schools are lacking (which I don't necessarily buy into carte blanche) they will simply rally the troops and make demands like in inner city neighborhoods to get the schools together. It all starts with businesses placing jobs there. I think this is a major reason that Norcross and Gwinett County generally has grown -the jobs placed there brought the ppl. Otherwise, there was nothing esp attractive about moving to Gwinnett county back 20-30 years ago. It was just a random far out place as far as I could tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Valdosta (Atlanta Native)
3,451 posts, read 2,829,870 times
Reputation: 2151
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
For some reason, I thought this thread was about the close-in south suburban areas like College Park, East Point, Riverdale. Those bordering the city. I would think those would be the next logical areas to see growth after more oversaturation and pricing intown. I think from a business perspective these areas make sense for employers. It's near the airport, plenty of less expensive land and space to build. I believe if companies place jobs in these areas, and amenities like more hospitals, restaurants, etc, people will come. No one wants to commute so they will move down. If they believe the schools are lacking (which I don't necessarily buy into carte blanche) they will simply rally the troops and make demands like in inner city neighborhoods to get the schools together. It all starts with businesses placing jobs there. I think this is a major reason that Norcross and Gwinett County generally has grown -the jobs placed there brought the ppl. Otherwise, there was nothing esp attractive about moving to Gwinnett county back 20-30 years ago. It was just a random far out place as far as I could tell.
It's about the whole metro that's usually considered south Atlanta, south of 20. I agree with you about the closer in areas, but you forgot Forest Park and Hapeville, cites that are closer to the airport and denser than Riverdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 08:45 PM
 
2,599 posts, read 2,985,863 times
Reputation: 1426
I was under the impression that Hapeville has been on the redevelopmt fast track for a good 5-10 years now, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
It's about the whole metro that's usually considered south Atlanta, south of 20. I agree with you about the closer in areas, but you forgot Forest Park and Hapeville, cites that are closer to the airport and denser than Riverdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Valdosta (Atlanta Native)
3,451 posts, read 2,829,870 times
Reputation: 2151
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I was under the impression that Hapeville has been on the redevelopmt fast track for a good 5-10 years now, right?
If it has, I don't notice anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,156 posts, read 15,962,673 times
Reputation: 9177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
As long as I have lived in Atlanta, I have NEVER had occasion to visit the southside, save for to visit friends on a couple of occasions in Peachtree City. As a result, I just don't really KNOW VERY MUCH about it.
I'm guessing you've never flown in an airplane because to do that, you have to go to the southside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 09:36 PM
 
5,415 posts, read 4,914,320 times
Reputation: 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
There is a great deal of hatred dealt out here for Clayton County. Much of it be people who probably know very little about it. That being said, I must also say that I am a life long member of the Clayton County community and I have ALWAYS loved it. For the record, I am White and yes I have school age children.
Now down to my true reason for posting. So many have a dismal view at the future of Clayton County, but God is not making anymore real estate. Especially in close proximity to downtown Atlanta and the airport. Clayton County will rise again on the factors of its location alone. It is even blessed with excellent interstate access. You can see the growth of other ATP (at the perimeter) locations across Metro Atlanta (Smyrna, Mableton, Vinings, Dunwoody, Tucker, etc) The Forest Park/ Mountain View area is also ATP and is adjacent to the International Concourse at the world's busiest airport. Finally, as someone else pointed out, Clayton County has an easy commute to the airport and downtown. Henry County and Fayette County can not say that! Henry has a dismal arterial road network combined with extreme congestion on Interstate 75; Fayette has NO interstate access at all. Clayton County sits at the perfect place for growth and redevelopment. There are many lovely places to live in Clayton County; we just need to get our story told.
You make some excellent points that Clayton County has some really good logistical assets that it could potentially capitalize on with its close promixity to the world's busiest airport and the business centers of Central Atlanta (Downtown, Midtown, etc) and excellent Interstate superhighway access.

I think that if Clayton County plays its cards right, the county could potentially have some success in the redevelopment arena in the future if (and/or when) high-capacity transit is extended south into the county from Atlanta as part of the preliminary plans to possibly expand some type of passenger rail transit service into Clayton County that have been cited with the county's recent successful vote to join MARTA.

If Clayton County were able to get high-capacity passenger rail transit service on dedicated tracks (preferably both Heavy Rail Transit and commuter rail service in the form of express commuter trains) along with increased and high-quality bus service, I think that it could really help to further the county's fortunes in an era when having access to high-quality transit will be increasingly key to the economic fortunes of large major metropolitan areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top