Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 04:23 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,711,400 times

Advertisements

When do you think growth will finally occur in the south metro, and how? Also I would like to know what's you favorite thing about the southside, and what keeps you from living there.( Job isn't there, Crime, Schools, Retail, Reputation)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 04:39 PM

46 posts, read 59,324 times
I guess what keeps me away from the Southside is that it sort of has both the disadvantages of living in the city (bad schools, crime) and the disadvantages of living in the suburbs (even worse traffic than you get in the Northern suburbs, bland communities). Not saying that my perceptions are 100% accurate, but that's how I see it.

Favorite thing about the Southside is probably Peachtree City. I just think it's a really neat, well-planned city that's probably more livable/walkable than many of the most sought-after intown neighborhoods. Fayette County is in no danger of joining MARTA anytime soon, but I think commuter rail connecting Peachtree City with the big job centers in Atlanta and the northern suburbs would cause it to really take off.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:30 PM

10,347 posts, read 11,357,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
When do you think growth will finally occur in the south metro, and how?
I think that there is potential for a significant amount of growth around the Airport area, in and around the Fort MacPherson area and in Clayton County, particularly if rail transit service is upgraded and expanded in the form of an expansion of rail transit service to the International Terminal and on south to and through Clayton County.

Clayton County's decision to join MARTA and resume transit service within the county also helps the county's long-term economic prospects.

Outlying suburban areas like Henry County, Fayette County and Coweta County will continue to see substantial growth as the economy continues to recover, though it should cautioned that the Southside will never see the massive, overwhelming and crushing amount of growth that the Northside has and will continue to see.

Quote:
Also I would like to know what's you favorite thing about the southside, and what keeps you from living there.( Job isn't there, Crime, Schools, Retail, Reputation)
While I've personally lived (and worked) on the Southside for an extended period of time in the past, the things that keep many people from living on the Southside are a mix of the reasons that you named (job isn't there, crime fears, the perception that the schools are much better on the Northside, much more retail and many more amenities on the Northside, the overwhelming dominance of the Northside in almost every facet of Metro Atlanta life, etc).

Old 12-04-2014, 06:07 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,811,909 times
Quote:
When do you think growth will finally occur in the south metro, and how? Also I would like to know what's you favorite thing about the southside, and what keeps you from living there.( Job isn't there, Crime, Schools, Retail, Reputation)
If by "growth" you mean, when will south metro become a sprawling, gridlocked mess like north metro -- hopefully never! Sure, a few more good-paying jobs would be nice. But the airport is the biggest employment center in the entire state. And we've got Porche and Pinewood and lots of other good stuff happening.

Besides, it's not like there's NO growth on the south side -- the 5 counties south of I-20 (Clayton, Fayette, Henry, South Fulton and Coweta) added nearly 500,000 people between 1990 and 2010. Fayette and South Fulton both have strict zoning laws in place to limit growth and maintain a rural nature. What's wrong with that?

Old 12-04-2014, 06:09 PM
bu2

23,886 posts, read 14,684,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
If by "growth" you mean, when will south metro become a sprawling, gridlocked mess like north metro -- hopefully never! Sure, a few more good-paying jobs would be nice. But the airport is the biggest employment center in the entire state. And we've got Porche and Pinewood and lots of other good stuff happening.

Besides, it's not like there's NO growth on the south side -- the 5 counties south of I-20 (Clayton, Fayette, Henry, South Fulton and Coweta) added nearly 500,000 people between 1990 and 2010. Fayette and South Fulton both have strict zoning laws in place to limit growth and maintain a rural nature. What's wrong with that?
The gridlocked mess on the north metro will cause growth on the southside. But it won't be too much in Clayton and South Fulton. Schools are too much of an issue.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:10 PM
bu2

23,886 posts, read 14,684,834 times
Also MARTA coming to Clayton may trigger some job growth there, although Henry County will probably benefit more from any related population growth.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacinoWig View Post
I guess what keeps me away from the Southside is that it sort of has both the disadvantages of living in the city (bad schools, crime) and the disadvantages of living in the suburbs (even worse traffic than you get in the Northern suburbs, bland communities). Not saying that my perceptions are 100% accurate, but that's how I see it.

Favorite thing about the Southside is probably Peachtree City. I just think it's a really neat, well-planned city that's probably more livable/walkable than many of the most sought-after intown neighborhoods. Fayette County is in no danger of joining MARTA anytime soon, but I think commuter rail connecting Peachtree City with the big job centers in Atlanta and the northern suburbs would cause it to really take off.
WORSE traffic than the northern suburbs? Surely you jest! I-75 South of the airport into Henry County is really the only bad traffic down that way. The commute downtown from Fayette, Clayton and Coweta is a breeze compared to the north side.

As for the "bad schools and high crime" comment ... are you referring to the City of Atlanta? College Park? East Point? North Clayton? Because crime in Henry, Coweta and Fayette counties is pretty low -- certainly no worse than north metro counties -- and the schools are good. You also get a lot more house for the money.

And Peachtree City is happy just the way it is. It's mostly "built out" and slow growth is the law in Fayette County. People move there to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city -- even if it means driving to a job on the other side of town. If commuter rail ever goes down that way, I doubt it will get much use beyond the airport and maybe downtown. Nobody who lives in PTC is going to ride a train all the way to North Fulton. The Lovejoy line makes a lot more sense.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:40 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,711,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The gridlocked mess on the north metro will cause growth on the southside. But it won't be too much in Clayton and South Fulton. Schools are too much of an issue.
There's growth in Southeast Atlanta. I don't see people complaining about schools there. The school district isn't the problem, it's the ignorant children who come to school to disrupt that skews test scores. The moment new people move in, all of that nonsense would stop.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Gridlock hasn't forced growth on the south side yet ... what makes you think it will in the future? Henry County is really the only South Metro county that has a north metro development mindset. Leaders there have said they want to be the next Gwinnett, and it makes sense. The two counties are about the same size, the same distance from downtown and are bisected by an interstate with many exits. Henry has terrible roads, though, and that's a problem.

Clayton County won't grow much more ... MARTA might help, but that's years down the road. Coweta County has several big development projects coming and is going to boom .... but Fayette County is a different story. Growth has slowed to a trickle due to a lack of affordable housing or good paying jobs to attract young families with young children. The school system had to close 4 schools last year because of declining enrollment. It's turning into a retirement community. Hopefully, Pinewood Studios will change that. But Fayette will always be low-density.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:00 PM

787 posts, read 963,488 times
I love SW ATL (S.Fulton) my wife and I are planning to buy a home their in a few years, we attend Camp Creek CoC on Merk rd now. You get huge sq footage and lots of land for pretty cheap price. Plus I like the country feel and how quite it is; its not too far from from the inner city with 285 plus you get an Atlanta address in the unincorporated areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta