Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 01:35 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times

Advertisements

When you want to get out of Atlanta for the weekend?

It's New Orleans for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 01:48 PM

696 posts, read 1,301,245 times
I moved to Atlanta this summer and while I am still enjoying exploring various neighborhoods of my new city ITP and OTP as well as the suburbs, I have been courious also where native Atlantans travel for long weekends etc.

Looking forward to visiting New Orleans sometime this coming Spring (never been there), it seems like a bit of a drive though from Atlanta (of course one can easily fly there).

How about Birmingham, Chattanooga, Athens etc.? Do native Atlantans visit those cities for long weekends? Athens sure sounds like a beautiful town, especially with the mountains nearby?

Old 12-05-2014, 01:53 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
I just go to Lake Hartwell or to the mountains. No need to leave the state.

I'll visit friends in Athens but there's not much outside of the nightlife and UGA. I've daytripped to Chattanooga (better aquarium IMO) but never a weekend thing. Never really visited BHam besides for certain events that happen to be there.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:54 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
How about Birmingham, Chattanooga, Athens etc.? Do native Atlantans visit those cities for long weekends? Athens sure sounds like a beautiful town, especially with the mountains nearby?
Yes, but I would replace Birmingham with Savannah probably and add in Asheville.

The mountains of North Georgia/Western North Carolina are also very popular, as are the panhandle beaches of Florida.

For a quick getaway, I favor a 60 minute flight to Orlando.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:57 PM

696 posts, read 1,301,245 times
I love me some mountains, looking forward to exploring the mountains come Spring.

Also can't wait to visit Savannah, I have heard it is full of historic charm and I have a thing for ghost tours/stories and such....speaking of which, another reason I want to travel to New Orleans for...

I lived in South Florida in the late 90's..early 2000's and traveled in many parts of Florida...never really cared for Orlando much (or Florida in general for that matter), more attracted to historic places and places with hills/mountains

Old 12-05-2014, 02:03 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Savannah. Can't beat the friendliness mixed with the constant drunkenness of the city. It's like a NOLA that doesn't suck.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:19 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times
Quote:
I moved to Atlanta this summer and while I am still enjoying exploring various neighborhoods of my new city ITP and OTP as well as the suburbs, I have been courious also where native Atlantans travel for long weekends etc.

Looking forward to visiting New Orleans sometime this coming Spring (never been there), it seems like a bit of a drive though from Atlanta (of course one can easily fly there).

Take Megabus to New Orleans. It drops you off right in the action.

Normally we go to either Savannah, New Orleans, Panama City or Myrtle Beach, Disney or North Ga to the mountains

Old 12-05-2014, 03:19 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,127 times
For me, it's Savannah, GA., Gatlinburg, TN and Panama City Beach, FL.

I frequent those three cities the most.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:56 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
I love me some mountains, looking forward to exploring the mountains come Spring.

Also can't wait to visit Savannah, I have heard it is full of historic charm and I have a thing for ghost tours/stories and such....speaking of which, another reason I want to travel to New Orleans for...

I lived in South Florida in the late 90's..early 2000's and traveled in many parts of Florida...never really cared for Orlando much (or Florida in general for that matter), more attracted to historic places and places with hills/mountains
Friends and family in Orlando. It's a actually a great city away from the attractions area. I also happen to love New Smyrna Beach, my bar-none favorite east coast Florida beach town.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:51 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,143,757 times
Chattanooga is really cool (riverfront area) and it is only two hours from Atlanta, just across the GA line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta