U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2014, 07:43 PM
 
2,599 posts, read 2,988,004 times
Reputation: 1426

Advertisements

It seems some in this thread don't think it's a big deal...since it is an anomaly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
^ I totally understand where you're coming from, LovelySummer.

It is however, a huge deal. A dead body in the middle of the street in Downtown Decatur is NOT the norm, by any historical measure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2014, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
4,648 posts, read 3,032,320 times
Reputation: 3867
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
It seems some in this thread don't think it's a big deal...since it is an anomaly.
It's a huge deal, and a tragedy to the people related to the victim and the community. Every single time these things happen, it tears at the fabric of the entire metro area - not just the City. It affects all of us.

As an eternal optimist, I thankfully look at the glass as being half-full or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2014, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
265 posts, read 302,657 times
Reputation: 524
LovelySummer, since I'm the OP I guess I should address you... By posting this thread I was only insinuating that, while crimes and even murders happen everywhere, we tend to expect them to happen in places like the Five Points MARTA station... Not in a place that is filled with people pushing strollers down the sidewalk. That's all. I honestly didn't read any further into it than that.

It's definitely a big deal, because of AND in spite of the anomaly factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2014, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
21,020 posts, read 33,013,138 times
Reputation: 12690
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
It seems some in this thread don't think it's a big deal...since it is an anomaly.
It is an anomaly. I lived in Decatur about three blocks from the crime scene and felt totally comfortable walking the streets. No one here is saying that murder is 'no big deal' and it occurs with far more frequency in many Atlanta communities than it does in Decatur. I felt much less safe on the streets when I lived in Buckhead, if you want to know the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2014, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
4,648 posts, read 3,032,320 times
Reputation: 3867
^Tell it, LovinDecatur!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 12:57 AM
bu2
 
9,004 posts, read 5,700,078 times
Reputation: 3555
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It is an anomaly. I lived in Decatur about three blocks from the crime scene and felt totally comfortable walking the streets. No one here is saying that murder is 'no big deal' and it occurs with far more frequency in many Atlanta communities than it does in Decatur. I felt much less safe on the streets when I lived in Buckhead, if you want to know the truth.
I absolutely do not feel safe walking the area at night. After about 9 it really thins out along Ponce and there tend to be a number of shady people around. There have been a lot of robberies in the area. There's as good a chance that it was a failed robbery as it being non-random.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,463 posts, read 4,121,140 times
Reputation: 2162
Don't live your life in fear.

http://web.co.dekalb.ga.us/probate_c...icenseInfo.pdf

Quickshot Shooting Range - Home

Academy - Pistols | Handguns, Beretta, Glock, Ruger & more pistols


Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I absolutely do not feel safe walking the area at night. After about 9 it really thins out along Ponce and there tend to be a number of shady people around. There have been a lot of robberies in the area. There's as good a chance that it was a failed robbery as it being non-random.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 07:27 PM
 
28,177 posts, read 24,730,127 times
Reputation: 9555
A well armed citizen with good tactical training should be able to take out most bad guys unless they sneak up on you or some such thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 08:13 PM
 
2,599 posts, read 2,988,004 times
Reputation: 1426
Instead of buying guns, it makes more sense to simply not put oneself in harm's way, to me. I think that is what the poster is implying. The reality is you can NEVER draw a gun if you are not going to use it. My Dad taught me that. That is the surest way to get yourself killed. Just bc anyone has gun training does not mean that person has the heart/desire/ability to maim/kill another person and you have to be ready and willing to do that when you draw a weapon. And if you're not going to draw it, it does zero to protect you. Yes, it makes a whole lot more sense to simply exercise caution and not run around with the sense of braggado I see so many doing. Many a criminal is quite a good shot. They train too. And the criminal has every incentive to shoot to try to avoid witnesses, jail, death. And they also have the element of surprise on their side. I'd simply give them my wallet and avoid the gunfight but then again, I'm a woman and have no ego tied up in the whole situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 10:10 PM
bu2
 
9,004 posts, read 5,700,078 times
Reputation: 3555
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Instead of buying guns, it makes more sense to simply not put oneself in harm's way, to me. I think that is what the poster is implying. The reality is you can NEVER draw a gun if you are not going to use it. My Dad taught me that. That is the surest way to get yourself killed. Just bc anyone has gun training does not mean that person has the heart/desire/ability to maim/kill another person and you have to be ready and willing to do that when you draw a weapon. And if you're not going to draw it, it does zero to protect you. Yes, it makes a whole lot more sense to simply exercise caution and not run around with the sense of braggado I see so many doing. Many a criminal is quite a good shot. They train too. And the criminal has every incentive to shoot to try to avoid witnesses, jail, death. And they also have the element of surprise on their side. I'd simply give them my wallet and avoid the gunfight but then again, I'm a woman and have no ego tied up in the whole situation.
Right. And you really don't want to do it with family around. Actually thought about going to Decatur that night, although we would have headed home well before 11. It was on the news tonight. She was with some friends and left to go home early. My wife realized that she recognized the woman and knew one of the friends who was with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top