U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2014, 10:14 PM
bu2
 
9,077 posts, read 5,784,537 times
Reputation: 3598

Advertisements

There's been a rash of crime in central DeKalb County recently. It has the feel of gangs moving from neighborhood to neighborhood. Candler Park and Druid Hills have both had a bunch of home break-ins at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2014, 10:53 PM
 
Location: ATL -> HOU
4,132 posts, read 3,266,733 times
Reputation: 3154
Candler Park? Crap, my great aunt lives there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 09:14 AM
bu2
 
9,077 posts, read 5,784,537 times
Reputation: 3598
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Candler Park? Crap, my great aunt lives there
Also been a rape and a couple of other attacks in the last couple of months in Candler Park. One was an attempted abduction of a middle school girl. The Emory campus had 3 attacks about this same time last year that all appeared to be the same attacker. Never heard whether they caught him..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 09:17 AM
 
28,286 posts, read 24,913,569 times
Reputation: 9647
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Candler Park and Druid Hills have both had a bunch of home break-ins at night.
When the homeowners were there asleep?

Pretty bad business.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
668 posts, read 791,513 times
Reputation: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
There's been a rash of crime in central DeKalb County recently. It has the feel of gangs moving from neighborhood to neighborhood. Candler Park and Druid Hills have both had a bunch of home break-ins at night.
Things have quieted down lately, but several months back there were a number of break ins at night, most of the smash and grab variety. The criminals actually appeared to be after cars. They would break in, grab the car keys, and take anything that looked valuable between the keys and the door (mostly laptops). There was one instance where they punched a woman in the face when they startled her because she was asleep in her front room. I haven't heard of this happening lately, though.

There was a day last month where a couple of disturbing events happened in the middle of the day - one was an attempted assault of a woman as she was bringing groceries into her house, and another was an alleged attempted abduction of a middle school student on her way home from school.

I have not heard of any rapes in the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 02:20 PM
 
42 posts, read 38,201 times
Reputation: 38
This is the first homicide in downtown Decatur in mulitple years. I was out with the family that night and won't hesitate to go back. The interesting thing was the waitress at our restaurant recommended that I use the parking garage that the murder happened in after she found out I paid more for an outdoor lot. I was going to use it the next time I drove into Decatur but guess I wont. It seems to me that many of these crimes in otherwise safe places have happened in enclosed parking garages. Would like to see the police presence beefed up in the garages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 09:25 PM
bu2
 
9,077 posts, read 5,784,537 times
Reputation: 3598
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
When the homeowners were there asleep?

Pretty bad business.

Yes. A year ago there was a rash during the day. A couple of months ago there was a rash during the night. Four houses I could see from my driveway got hit-that I know about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 09:27 PM
bu2
 
9,077 posts, read 5,784,537 times
Reputation: 3598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
Things have quieted down lately, but several months back there were a number of break ins at night, most of the smash and grab variety. The criminals actually appeared to be after cars. They would break in, grab the car keys, and take anything that looked valuable between the keys and the door (mostly laptops). There was one instance where they punched a woman in the face when they startled her because she was asleep in her front room. I haven't heard of this happening lately, though.

There was a day last month where a couple of disturbing events happened in the middle of the day - one was an attempted assault of a woman as she was bringing groceries into her house, and another was an alleged attempted abduction of a middle school student on her way home from school.

I have not heard of any rapes in the neighborhood.
Just before those two incidents you mentioned there was a rape near the tennis courts. Those were the 3 incidents I was referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 06:09 AM
 
2,599 posts, read 3,007,113 times
Reputation: 1431
Rapes, robberies and abductions scare me alot more than break-in (bc most times that occurs while you are not home but the others are personal). All of this is going on in the City of Decatur and Candler Park? And raping in the Emory area? Clarifying so I will know what is going on and I continue my new house search. Although none of these areas are on my preferred list, still good to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
668 posts, read 791,513 times
Reputation: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Just before those two incidents you mentioned there was a rape near the tennis courts. Those were the 3 incidents I was referring to.
Where did you hear about it? I'm on all the CP and LC neighborhood, parents, and crime email lists, Facebook pages and Nextdoor groups and didn't hear a word about it. The Zone 6 crime map doesn't show anything, either, going back to 10/1 (except for the attempted assault). Not that I doubt that it happened, but I'm curious in following up why the lists blow up everytime a door to door solicitor walks down the street, but there's no mention of a major crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top