U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-08-2014, 04:52 PM
 
Location: NW Atlanta
5,001 posts, read 3,488,040 times
Reputation: 2653

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Woodruff Foundation contributing to the Woodruff Arts Center. How could it be anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2014, 07:44 PM
 
7,113 posts, read 8,127,741 times
Reputation: 1777
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
A rather simplistic viewpoint on your part. The Art Center's name was voted on by the board as a tribute to the late Mr. Woodruff, whose enormous contributions to the arts community in Atlanta far exceeded those of a monetary nature.
Unless he was a famous artist himself, what contribution beyond monetary, could one offer, worthy of having one's name on a center?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,990 posts, read 32,977,623 times
Reputation: 12648
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Unless he was a famous artist himself, what contribution beyond monetary, could one offer, worthy of having one's name on a center?
Well since you ask, fundraising, networking, cultivating contacts in the art world, procurement et al.
My goodness, for someone who professes to know so much, you certainly come off as rather callow to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 06:57 PM
 
7,113 posts, read 8,127,741 times
Reputation: 1777
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Well since you ask, fundraising, networking, cultivating contacts in the art world, procurement et al.
My goodness, for someone who professes to know so much, you certainly come off as rather callow to me.
It still comes down to money. And besides, Woodruff was the largest monetary contributor. Other than that, your best best to get your name on something is as a politician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 07:22 PM
 
28,160 posts, read 24,704,135 times
Reputation: 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Unless he was a famous artist himself, what contribution beyond monetary, could one offer, worthy of having one's name on a center?
Well, back in the dark days after the Orly crash, Mr. Woodruff stepped up and rallied the arts community and created what is now the Arts center in Midtown. Yes, he provided the money, but he also had great vision and an unwavering belief in the city, at a time when many despaired.

Woodruff insisted on remaining anonymous for many years, not just with regard to the Arts center but with all his gifts. Until shortly before his death it was simply known as the Memorial Arts center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,990 posts, read 32,977,623 times
Reputation: 12648
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
It still comes down to money. And besides, Woodruff was the largest monetary contributor. Other than that, your best best to get your name on something is as a politician.
I fail to see the negative aspect of philanthropy. How pathetic that you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 07:47 PM
Status: "Ready for Fall" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Atlanta
4,647 posts, read 3,026,975 times
Reputation: 3867
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I fail to see the negative aspect of philanthropy. How pathetic that you do.
Bingo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 08:41 PM
 
7,113 posts, read 8,127,741 times
Reputation: 1777
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Bingo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5pESPQpXxE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 08:47 PM
 
Location: New York City Area
394 posts, read 550,988 times
Reputation: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, back in the dark days after the Orly crash, Mr. Woodruff stepped up and rallied the arts community and created what is now the Arts center in Midtown. Yes, he provided the money, but he also had great vision and an unwavering belief in the city, at a time when many despaired.

Woodruff insisted on remaining anonymous for many years, not just with regard to the Arts center but with all his gifts. Until shortly before his death it was simply known as the Memorial Arts center.
Thank you for this interesting tidbit of information. I never knew about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 11:56 PM
Status: "Ready for Fall" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Atlanta
4,647 posts, read 3,026,975 times
Reputation: 3867
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Get some help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top