U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 01:16 PM

4,994 posts, read 4,032,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
A bit ironic when you think about the hysteria and opposition that the Left exhibits towards anything that upsets their narrow concept of the status quo. They weren't exactly open and accepting of the Tea Party movement, for example, were they?
LOLWUT? So the Tea Party had the freedom to paint caricatures of Obama that looked like Hitler and label them with hideous typos and grammatical errors, but it's "hysteria" when people call them out on it? Wow. Nice all-give-and-no-take attitude you've got there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
lol Either the bible is the bible in it's entirety or it's not.

I'm sure there is something in Deuteronomy about cherrypicking too.

I mean y'all are casting an entire religion constituting Millions upon millions of people, based on snippets of text in their book, but when you see that those snippets of text are also in your book, all of a sudden it's "but that part doesn't count...we're modern. we're different".

Whatever. let he who is without sin cast the first stone. in other words...probably better to not judge other people based on what "you've heard" . Cuz it sure ain't based on what you've read.
The day that fundamentalist Christians actually follow what Jesus said is the day that their defensiveness and religious bigotry cease to exist.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:17 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,711,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Except for those upper middle class college graduates who perpetrated 9/11.

And except for that multi-millionaire who became leader of a savage, violent sect known as Al Qaeda.
let's call them the ringleaders. Aka - the people who set the agenda and stand to gain the most from the control of their underlings.

Quote:
It sounds as if you had a completely secular upbringing and know almost nothing about any of those three religions, just some superficial knowledge from google searches.

They are quite different from each other, not just the sacred books but the subsequent interpretive texts, e.g. the Talmud and Torah commentaries of the Jews, the writings of the great saints of Christianity like St. Augustine of Hippo, and the various Koranic commentaries.
I was raised secular, in that I was taught all three, had access to the texts of all 3 as well as hindu texts and Buddhist writing as well.

You can put a microscope on the 3 you consider most important (knowing their numbers are relatively dwarfed by the others) and believe you have a complete scope - but really you are just comparing different leaves off the same branch.

Comparison Chart: Islam, Judaism and Christianity - ReligionFacts

Quote:
But the important thing today is the contrast between the vast majority of the world's other religious people and the Muslims, who are dominated by a pair of medieval sects called Wahhabi and Shi'a as practiced respectively by the Saudis and the Iranians. Both sects have zero tolerance for other religions (including rival Muslim sects) and use violence to settle theological differences. We are talking about hundreds of millions of people, not just some little fringe group like Westboro Baptist Church with a couple hundred members and a wacko leader.

By the way, Muslim terrorists just murdered 133 children at a school in Pakistan last night. They used suicide bombers and guns to maximize the carnage. Little children up to teenagers, plus nine teachers. President Obama always calls them "terrorists" so as not to offend the Muslim community, but we all know what they really are.
Actually the 2 main sects of Islam are Sunni and Shia. Wahabbism is a splinter of Sunni tradition . Sunnis are generally far more moderate and make up 85% of the 1.5 billion Muslims worldwide (Christianity has roughly 2 billion people).

The Sunni-Shia Divide

I do agree that that while the moderate Sunnis are going about their business of living, Sh'ia and Wahabbists are setting the tone for the rest of Islam.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post

The day that fundamentalist Christians actually follow what Jesus said is the day that their defensiveness and religious bigotry cease to exist.

So basically we're waiting on the Rapture then.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Back to the topic at hand: They didn't want to get sued, so it's been passed unanimously.

The Marietta Daily Journal - Mosque approved in 5 0 Kennesaw City Council vote
Smart. They knew they were staring a class-action lawsuit in the face if they didn't let this go through.

Freedom of and from religion is not just designed for religious minorities. Freedom of and from religion is NEEDED by religious minorities, as many of the bigoted comments in this thread prove.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
So basically we're waiting on the Rapture then.
The sad thing is, I know some Christians who happen to be the most accepting, nonjudgmental people you'll ever find. I also know some Christians who feel that it's their life duty to look down on those that they have systematic power over. One of these things is Christlike, and one is not.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
The sad thing is, I know some Christians who happen to be the most accepting, nonjudgmental people you'll ever find. I also know some Christians who feel that it's their life duty to look down on those that they have systematic power over. One of these things is Christlike, and one is not.

ain't that the truth.

I tend to reject "religion" in favor of spirituality - because it seems as soon as you get an "interpreter" involved, the word (whatever that word may be) , starts getting twisted and unrecognizeable.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:29 PM

105 posts, read 68,189 times
Quote:
Freedom of and from religion is not just designed for religious minorities. Freedom of and from religion is NEEDED by religious minorities, as many of the bigoted comments in this thread prove.
If taking a principled stand against a religion that has a world-wide monopoly on terrorists makes me a bigot (aka intolerant), then I'll wear that label with pride. We live in some strange, strange times.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermie125 View Post
If taking a principled stand against a religion that has a world-wide monopoly on terrorists makes me a bigot (aka intolerant), then I'll wear that label with pride. We live in some strange, strange times.
The Westboro Baptist Church would love to have you.

Oh, and, by the way, you might wanna read what your Bible has to say about judging not, lest ye be judged.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:22 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,152,808 times
When people like you keep referring back to certain books of the Old Testament in trying to imply that "all religions are the same" or "Christians are no better" all you're doing is underscoring your own ignorance. Most atheists seem to be worse at misinterpreting the Bible than the most wacko of the fundamentalists. Yet you seem to sincerely believe your criticisms to be legitimate...

The Bible and the Koran are much different in structure and context. The Koran in its entirety is the teachings of Muhammad, in the Bible the teachings of Christ, the basis for Christianity, are found in the New Testament. While in the latter Jesus never instructs his followers to "fight" or "struggle" against non-believers, in the Koran this is a repeated occurrence.

Quote:
lol Either the bible is the bible in it's entirety or it's not.

I'm sure there is something in Deuteronomy about cherrypicking too.

I mean y'all are casting an entire religion constituting Millions upon millions of people, based on snippets of text in their book, but when you see that those snippets of text are also in your book, all of a sudden it's "but that part doesn't count...we're modern. we're different".
Apparently you don't understand John 8:7 either. He was addressing Pharisees who wanted to stone an adulterous woman for sinning as is found in the laws of Moses (you, know, in Deuteronomy). If you truly understand the New Testament you'd understand the significance of this.

Quote:
Whatever. let he who is without sin cast the first stone. in other words...probably better to not judge other people based on what "you've heard" . Cuz it sure ain't based on what you've read.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:29 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,152,808 times
You might want to read it yourself first and find out what it really means before you trot it out the next time.

Quote:
The Westboro Baptist Church would love to have you.

Oh, and, by the way, you might wanna read what your Bible has to say about judging not, lest ye be judged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta