U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-19-2014, 08:25 PM
 
2,194 posts, read 1,062,613 times
Reputation: 1709

Advertisements

You know...it's a pity religions are pitted against each other. Both Islam and Christianity have so much in common and their followers don't realize this. They really are two sides of the same coin.

 
Old 12-20-2014, 12:52 AM
 
1,584 posts, read 1,658,405 times
Reputation: 1197
If nobody can come up with a response that means I won the internet right?
 
Old 04-17-2015, 05:33 PM
 
105 posts, read 67,859 times
Reputation: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I'll elaborate, since you're confused. I don't have to explain it to the vast majority of the forum, because they already grasp the transcendent irony of your comment. I don't want to explain it to you because it's funnier this way.
Really? The thing about unsubstantiated claims is that you can't prove them, but that's of no concern to you.

You're a bigot for being intolerant of my Christian worldview.
 
Old 04-17-2015, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Home of the Braves
1,164 posts, read 928,000 times
Reputation: 1148
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermie125 View Post
Really? The thing about unsubstantiated claims is that you can't prove them, but that's of no concern to you.
Hey, welcome back! After four months, I thought we might have lost you for good!

Quote:
You're a bigot for being intolerant of my Christian worldview.
Me? I'm certainly not intolerant of Christianity. I mean, I think it's superstitious nonsense, but it's no worse than any other religion and I also have a great deal of respect and admiration for it as a tradition with deep and meaningful roots in our culture.

I am intolerant of your intolerant worldview, though. Some folks try to construe this as hypocrisy, but Karl Popper effectively debunked that mindless canard in 1945. A tolerant society needn't tolerate the bigots who would destroy it, for the same reason a peaceful society needn't appease the aggressor who would destroy it.

Even then, I have no desire to block or shut down your places of worship, or to change your beliefs, or to stop you from evangelizing, or to censor your speech. Indeed, you can be as intolerant as you want, as long as you don't put that intolerance into action in contravention of our laws. Don't discriminate, and we're good.

Have a blessed day!
 
Old 04-18-2015, 11:48 AM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,563,074 times
Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
And people wonder why the South is looked down upon by the rest of the country.
This doesn't just happen in the South. There was a very high profile case in NYC recently, and Islamophobia is certainly a nationwide (and often worldwide) issue. It also goes both ways...there is rampant anti-Christian sentiment in certain parts of the world that is much worse than a small town not allowing a mosque. We should be accepting of all religions in the U.S., but let's not pretend that it isn't a problem elsewhere.
 
Old 04-18-2015, 11:50 AM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,563,074 times
Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
If nobody can come up with a response that means I won the internet right?

points chris hardwick - Bing Images
 
Old 04-18-2015, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,966 posts, read 4,009,768 times
Reputation: 2782
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
This doesn't just happen in the South. There was a very high profile case in NYC recently, and Islamophobia is certainly a nationwide (and often worldwide) issue. It also goes both ways...there is rampant anti-Christian sentiment in certain parts of the world that is much worse than a small town not allowing a mosque. We should be accepting of all religions in the U.S., but let's not pretend that it isn't a problem elsewhere.
Perhaps, but "He did it, too!" is not a valid excuse to do wrong.
 
Old 04-18-2015, 09:55 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,563,074 times
Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Perhaps, but "He did it, too!" is not a valid excuse to do wrong.
That's not what I said...I was responding to someone who implied that this is a problem only in the South and the reason other people look down on us. I don't think it's a fair assessment of the problem. It's obviously a nationwide and worldwide issue.
 
Old 05-25-2015, 01:13 AM
 
105 posts, read 67,859 times
Reputation: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I am intolerant of your intolerant worldview, though. Some folks try to construe this as hypocrisy, but Karl Popper effectively debunked that mindless canard in 1945. A tolerant society needn't tolerate the bigots who would destroy it, for the same reason a peaceful society needn't appease the aggressor who would destroy it.
But there is no such thing as a tolerant society. I know that you are intolerant of all sorts of things and I don't even know anything about you. You may be intolerant of children, certain animals, high taxes, smoking, country music, dogs pooping in your yard, etc, but someone else may have no problem with those things. Neither you nor the other person may be wrong, but you are still being intolerant. You may also be intolerant of things like genital mutilation and honor killings, but in other societies these are normal practices. Are you wrong or are they wrong? Moral relativism kid. Look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Even then, I have no desire to block or shut down your places of worship, or to change your beliefs, or to stop you from evangelizing, or to censor your speech. Indeed, you can be as intolerant as you want, as long as you don't put that intolerance into action in contravention of our laws. Don't discriminate, and we're good.
I appreciate that... I really do. I wish there were more people with that kind of mindset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Have a blessed day!
Thanks. And you as well.
 
Old 06-14-2015, 08:09 PM
 
Location: n/a
1,189 posts, read 737,953 times
Reputation: 1334
Update to the story...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top