Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 10:22 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
You are aware that the same city commission had no problems voting to allow a Pentecostal church to operate in a retail space back in July, right?

The Marietta Daily Journal - Kennesaw City Council votes tonight on Islamic prayer center
No, I wasn't aware of that.

The information I had allowed me to come to the conclusion I did. I obviously don't know the full story and as the saying goes, the devil is in the details.. or something like that.

Unless I am missing more information, now that you've presented me with this, it does seem like they are being discriminated against. I just don't understand why the City of Kennesaw.. or any other city for that matter, would allow one church and not allow another..

There has got to be a piece of the puzzle missing here.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:39 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
This isn't about religious freedom; it's about zoning. No one's saying that people can't practice the Muslim religion. However, there are some liberals who oppose the practice of Christianity, i.e. the example of that town in California, which you failed to address.

This isn't about what CCATL believes or does. This is about what a majority of liberals believe and do, and how they vote. There is a clear trend in the U.S. to discriminate against Christians, while reflexively supporting Islam. If you don't defend that stance, then instead of "fixing" what I wrote, why not support what I wrote, which is in essence a defense of tolerance.
If this is about zoning, then why are you going off about liberals? Agreed, nobody is saying people can't practice the Muslim religion, but disagree with your comment about liberals opposing the practice of Christianity. Generally, since we're all painting a broad brush here, MOST people, liberals included, do not care what religion you practice (yes, Christianity included) UNTIL those people decide to try and push their belief (lots of Christians included) on to others and incorporate it into the founding of our nation (a whole other subject there.. let's not be tempted to go there on this thread, please). When this happens, yeah, you'll get push back from those that don't want to participate in their religion.
Please note that Christianity may not be the only religion out there that is being pushed on to others, but in America, Christians are the majority that are guilty of it. And to the defense of Christians, not ALL of them do this.

For the record, I don't care what religion you are whether it be Muslim, Buddhist, Christian, etc... but please don't try and convert me to this or that or incorporate your beliefs into our society. There is separation of church and state for a reason. Sounds fair to me.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:06 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,982,226 times
Ok there is this strange I think cryptic rant in the Atlanta Craigslist section about the man behind this Mosque and the strip mall, they even posted his address and named a few financial facts with his picture.
I don't think I can post the link here though.

I know C.L is a hot mess, I just thought that info was very strange and not mentioned anywhere in the local media.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:26 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
Kennesaw is going to lose this battle and in truth, they likely are on the wrong side of the law . . . provided there is no zoning-specific reason for denial that would also be true for Buddhists, Hindus, Christians, or Jews as well.

That being said, the liberal hypocrisy on any muslim issue is just laughable for many reasons already mentioned in this thread.

Gay muslim = death penalty
Woman fights back against rapist = stoned or hanged in public
Woman caught in adultery = stoned or hanged in public
Be a Christian in muslim nation = death penalty

And the one the takes the cake . . . no other religion in the world encourages and celebrates publicly "in the name of Allah" the beheading, death, and slaughter of innocent people.

Granted none of that has happened in Kennesaw, but I assure you that the above reasons are 100% why the mosque was denied. A Buddhist or Hindu temple or Jewish synagogue would have been easily approved.
These are some great reasons to force fundamentalist churches to shut down, wouldn't you agree?

Old 12-09-2014, 01:39 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
These are some great reasons to force fundamentalist churches to shut down, wouldn't you agree?
No one would agree with what you just said! The previous poster's point was simply that it's only the Muslim groups that are so violent.

Sure, there are Christian groups that are intolerant toward homosexuality. But you don't see homosexuals getting stoned to death by them, do you?

Old 12-09-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
I find it ironic that your are asking me to provide evidence, when you start with that "1.5 muslims are pretty much on the same page" I do know that Muslims in the USA, can convert to any religion they want without fear of the death penalty.
OK, that's about 6-7 million Muslims out of 1.3 billion. So what?

And for that matter, if one of these people becomes a Christian and visits Saudi Arabia, he or she is in great danger of being arrested and possibly executed for apostasy. To them, conversion is the greatest possible sin, punishable by death.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:01 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,664 times
Quote:
Sure, there are Christian groups that are intolerant toward homosexuality. But you don't see homosexuals getting stoned to death by them, do you?
Well, the Lord's Resistance Army launched death squads against (suspected) homosexuals and those afflicted with HIV. I don't know for a fact that they threw rocks, though I could look into it, if you like.

To the point, though, Islamist groups and nations don't do anything that Christian groups and nations haven't done, historically. Christian groups, churches, and nations tortured and slaughtered civilians by the millions for such crimes as "heresy," after all. Hot irons, racks, iron maidens, stoning, beheading, burning, hanging...they did it all. We should all be thankful that Christendom has mostly escaped its bloody past, but we shouldn't kid ourselves that Christianity is somehow immune or exempt from it.

The problem, in other words, is barbarism. Superstitions (all of them) have certainly been used (and continue to be used) to incite barbaric acts of savagery, but the problem is the barbarism -- not the particular details of one specific brand of superstition. One imagines this wouldn't be a problem in the strip mall, since Kennesaw isn't an especially barbaric society.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:18 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Recall how the community attempted to block the Islamic center near ground zero. That was not the south.
I love how he always jumps on post spewing stuff without doing his own research. He also thought religion being thrown in your face was a south thing too, until that was debunked.

Don't expect him to respond back either

Old 12-09-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Well, the Lord's Resistance Army launched death squads against (suspected) homosexuals and those afflicted with HIV. I don't know for a fact that they threw rocks, though I could look into it, if you like.

To the point, though, Islamist groups and nations don't do anything that Christian groups and nations haven't done, historically. Christian groups, churches, and nations tortured and slaughtered civilians by the millions for such crimes as "heresy," after all. Hot irons, racks, iron maidens, stoning, beheading, burning, hanging...they did it all. We should all be thankful that Christendom has mostly escaped its bloody past, but we shouldn't kid ourselves that Christianity is somehow immune or exempt from it.

The problem, in other words, is barbarism. Superstitions (all of them) have certainly been used (and continue to be used) to incite barbaric acts of savagery, but the problem is the barbarism -- not the particular details of one specific brand of superstition. One imagines this wouldn't be a problem in the strip mall, since Kennesaw isn't an especially barbaric society.
No, the problem today is radical Islam.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:01 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,664 times
Quote:
No, the problem today is radical Islam.
I think the problem is medieval tribes, kingdoms and military dictatorships that, shockingly, do medieval *****. Most today are Islamic, but it's not as though those that aren't (like LRA) are less problematic. Anyway, I'm happy to ban medieval barbarism in Kennesaw, but I'm pretty sure that stuff is already illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta