U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 07:37 PM

28,197 posts, read 24,802,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I think the problem is medieval tribes, kingdoms and military dictatorships that, shockingly, do medieval *****.
That, and "disaffected" middle class young people who seem to think it would be cool to go somewhere and wear a mask and kill some people.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:41 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,499,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
No one would agree with what you just said! The previous poster's point was simply that it's only the Muslim groups that are so violent.

Sure, there are Christian groups that are intolerant toward homosexuality. But you don't see homosexuals getting stoned to death by them, do you?
It wasn't that long ago that "Christians" were bombing black churches -- recent enough that quite a few people were around to remember it. No religion has a monopoly on violence.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:05 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,127,705 times
Don't hold your breath.

Big Box developers and other similar constuction style corporations own Georgia.

It's the reason why the supporters of denser walkable developments on the Beltline have had such trouble contending with dreaded Big Box builder Fuqua at Atlanta City Hall.

And I don't think that City Hall even a whole year after the November 2013 city council elections...has even bothered trying to update those zoning codes to prevent another 800 Glenwood boondoggle. In that regard, the city government is just cot dang awful.

Sometimes I wonder if the Neighborhood Planning Units simply exist just to give regular people the superficial feeling that their opinion counts. When it doesn't in actuality.

This state is just crooked from the statehouse to the cityhouse.

If I am lying, someone please prove it to me.

Because I don't see anything different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Wow. Georgia needs to get it together when it comes to zoning. This is the only place I've ever seen where you can build or put anything almost anywhere - worship centers in office parks and shopping malls.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 12-09-2014 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: Because I am so bloody angry.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:51 AM

4,986 posts, read 4,023,914 times
Quote:
OK, that's about 6-7 million Muslims out of 1.3 billion. So what?

And for that matter, if one of these people becomes a Christian and visits Saudi Arabia, he or she is in great danger of being arrested and possibly executed for apostasy. To them, conversion is the greatest possible sin, punishable by death.
None of this is relevant to the OP. None of this changes my opinion that Kennesaw's decision amounts to religious discrimination.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:47 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,048,433 times
According to the late news, the City Council has reversed its decision and is set to unanimously approve the Mosque on Monday night.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:49 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,012,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
According to the late news, the City Council has reversed its decision and is set to unanimously approve the Mosque on Monday night.
Interesting what a little national news coverage shaming your city will do . . .

Old 12-11-2014, 07:19 AM

9,693 posts, read 5,333,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
But is it a zoning issue, possibly? I don't recall the last time I've seen a worship center of any kind at a mall but maybe worship centers are storefronts at malls and I've just missed it? Seems like an odd location for any type of worship center. That being said, yes, people are bigoted in so many ways in the great country of America that it's really sad.
Yes, for some reason things don't seem as simple as some are making them out to be (a simple read through those links makes that clear, though).

Old 12-11-2014, 07:22 AM

2,312 posts, read 1,438,077 times
Quote:
This isn't about religious freedom; it's about zoning. No one's saying that people can't practice the Muslim religion. However, there are some liberals who oppose the practice of Christianity, i.e. the example of that town in California, which you failed to address.

This isn't about what CCATL believes or does. This is about what a majority of liberals believe and do, and how they vote. There is a clear trend in the U.S. to discriminate against Christians, while reflexively supporting Islam. If you don't defend that stance, then instead of "fixing" what I wrote, why not support what I wrote, which is in essence a defense of tolerance.

But since your posting was all about yourself, then let's talk about you. Suppose a mosque proposes to open next door to your house (presumably in Atlanta). You're OK with that, right?

Then, suppose that inside the mosque, they are preaching against homosexuality, they are discussing how Jews run the country and cause undue support for Israel. You're still OK with that?

Suppose the mosque refuses to let a gay man worship. They make him leave. You are still tolerant toward this group?

Next, suppose the mosque preaches to its congregation that America deserved 9/11, that it brought 9/11 on itself, and that the war on terrorism is misdirected. Suppose they say that ISIS is a good thing. Are you still tolerant toward them?

At what point does tolerance become bending down and supplicating yourself? That's all I'm asking. There's some tolerant, liberal Muslims in the world, but there are a lot, probably a majority, who are not very tolerant.
You might want to learn what "RLUIPA" is because that is what would have hurt Kennesaw if they hadn't reverse their earlier decision. Yeah, this is a federal law...

Old 12-11-2014, 08:47 AM

3,697 posts, read 3,300,157 times
Suffa Dawat Center Issue

Old 12-11-2014, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 722 times
Thumbs down Different Issue, same City Council and Mayor

I was not in favor of the Mosque on the basis that the applicants lied on their application. The issue is now pretty much dead and it is going to be approved by the City Council.

HOWEVER, there is yet another issue that has not gotten a lot of publicity this past month because the Mosque issue has pretty much sucked all the air out of the room so to speak. I would like you to consider the problem as posed on the below site.

Here is a brief summary before hand:
A down market trailer park with about 2,500 people has a bit more than half of its large property put into the City of Kennesaw and rezoned for commercial use. The property is now worth a LOT of money to the Canadian owners of the mobile home park.

They agree to sell to a developer from Atlanta but there is this pesky problem of 1,500 people on the section of property now to be sold. So what happens to them?

Believe me it is nothing good. Go to this site and find out what is going on and how the City Council and Mayor (same bunch as with the Mosque issue) is acting (or actually NOT acting):

I was not in favor of the Mosque on the basis that the applicants lied on their application. The issue is now pretty much dead and it is going to be approved by the City Council.

HOWEVER, there is yet another issue that has not gotten a lot of publicity this past month because the Mosque issue has pretty much sucked all the air out of the room so to speak. I would like you to consider the problem as posed on the below site.

Here is a brief summary before hand:
A down market trailer park with about 2,500 people has a bit more than half of its large property put into the City of Kennesaw and rezoned for commercial use. The property is now worth a LOT of money to the Canadian owners of the mobile home park.

They agree to sell to a developer from Atlanta but there is this pesky problem of 1,500 people on the section of property now to be sold. So what happens to them?

Believe me it is nothing good. Go to this site and find out what is going on and how the City Council and Mayor (same bunch as with the Mosque issue) is acting (or actually NOT acting): [url=http://castlelakemhp.blogspot.com/url]

Last edited by kennesaw2015; 12-11-2014 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta