U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2014, 05:37 AM
 
3,452 posts, read 3,268,328 times
Reputation: 8104

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1981 View Post
It's a pretty dangerous precedent to set to say that any government is allowed to stop people from building a place of worship. Now that it's been done, not just in Georgia but also in Tennessee, there's nothing to stop some atheist from getting in there and saying we can't build churches or synagogues anymore.
The solution is simple. Reclassify Islam as a cult, and it can be outlawed, just as Germany did with Scientology.

 
Old 12-15-2014, 09:18 AM
 
1,584 posts, read 1,661,521 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The solution is simple. Reclassify Islam as a cult, and it can be outlawed, just as Germany did with Scientology.
To be clear, I wasn't trying to state that we should be perfectly tolerant of Islam. I was pointing out that the same logic that lead you to view it as a backwards cult should lead you to view Christianity the same way.

Genocide is promoted in the holy books of both religions, as is bigotry, rape and slavery.

If we classify were to Islam as a cult, why would we stop there?

Last edited by joey86; 12-15-2014 at 09:40 AM..
 
Old 12-15-2014, 10:13 AM
 
3,452 posts, read 3,268,328 times
Reputation: 8104
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
To be clear, I wasn't trying to state that we should be perfectly tolerant of Islam. I was pointing out that the same logic that lead you to view it as a backwards cult should lead you to view Christianity the same way.

Genocide is promoted in the holy books of both religions, as is bigotry, rape and slavery.

If we classify were to Islam as a cult, why would we stop there?
Because violence is being perpetrated in the name of Islam today, right now, even as we speak.
 
Old 12-15-2014, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, Birmingham, Charlotte, and Raleigh
2,312 posts, read 1,439,033 times
Reputation: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
This is what can happen when "local control" is allowed.
Thank you, I'm glad you said this because this is so true about this aforementioned topic.
 
Old 12-15-2014, 11:25 AM
 
41 posts, read 49,881 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Because violence is being perpetrated in the name of Islam today, right now, even as we speak.
And Christianity isn't? Did you see the link I posted a few pages ago?
 
Old 12-15-2014, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Georgia
4,987 posts, read 4,025,516 times
Reputation: 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The solution is simple. Reclassify Islam as a cult, and it can be outlawed, just as Germany did with Scientology.
Good job not addressing my previous response to you. I guess it didn't fit in with your narrative about who America is.

I have a better idea than the one you proposed: How about we take your beliefs, whatever they are, and reclassify them as a cult? After all, they led us to slaughter hundreds of thousands of Iraqi women, men, and children. Or does the freedom of religion and freedom of speech extend to everyone, even those with whom you vehemently disagree? (The correct answer to the second question is Yes.)
 
Old 12-15-2014, 12:38 PM
 
1,979 posts, read 1,710,005 times
Reputation: 1244
This thread is a disappointment.

Either you believe in the First Amendment or you don't.

I'm also surprised that there are so many people who seem to be on the right, judging by the dittohead accusations of "LIBRULISM!1!", that believe the government should intervene on a free market.

Intriguing. makes me wonder how much people really understand the dogma they allege to espouse.
 
Old 12-15-2014, 01:20 PM
 
3,452 posts, read 3,268,328 times
Reputation: 8104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
This thread is a disappointment.

Either you believe in the First Amendment or you don't.

I'm also surprised that there are so many people who seem to be on the right, judging by the dittohead accusations of "LIBRULISM!1!", that believe the government should intervene on a free market.

Intriguing. makes me wonder how much people really understand the dogma they allege to espouse.
Either you believe in peaceful coexistence, or you don't.

Clearly there is one "religion" that does not condone peaceful coexistence, as has been extensively discussed and debated above.
 
Old 12-15-2014, 02:14 PM
 
1,584 posts, read 1,661,521 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Either you believe in peaceful coexistence, or you don't.

Clearly there is one "religion" that does not condone peaceful coexistence, as has been extensively discussed and debated above.
How can you say you are for peaceful coexistence when you just said Islam should be outlawed?
 
Old 12-15-2014, 02:26 PM
 
1,979 posts, read 1,710,005 times
Reputation: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Either you believe in peaceful coexistence, or you don't.
I do. And that's pretty much where it stops. I can't control anyone else, just myself. Trying to control others, and sacrificing your own foundational ideals in the process, isn't how you create change.

So if some other religion doesn't "believe in peaceful coexistence", it becomes irrelevant to me, because <I DO>. And my action would be one of inclusiveness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top