Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 06:09 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,819,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post

The board denied the church because of zoning. Just because there are churches in other parts of the metro in strip malls doesn't mean they are allowed in Kennesaw.
You are aware that the same city commission had no problems voting to allow a Pentecostal church to operate in a retail space back in July, right?

The Marietta Daily Journal - Kennesaw City Council votes tonight on Islamic prayer center

Old 12-08-2014, 06:52 AM

10,737 posts, read 13,305,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
And people wonder why the South is looked down upon by the rest of the country.
Recall how the community attempted to block the Islamic center near ground zero. That was not the south.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:12 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,717,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Recall how the community attempted to block the Islamic center near ground zero. That was not the south.
And not just near ground zero, but that occurred at multiple places throughout NYC and NJ. This is not just a southern issue, it's a country wide issue. Ignorance and fear of "others" has been showing its ugly face all too often lately.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:11 AM

463 posts, read 557,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
And not just near ground zero, but that occurred at multiple places throughout NYC and NJ. This is not just a southern issue, it's a country wide issue. Ignorance and fear of "others" has been showing its ugly face all too often lately.
That goes both ways. Ignorance and fear of "others" in the Middle East and other Islamic-dominated countries are magnitudes greater than over here where the worst that happens is simply denying zoning for a mosque. Why would we want to legitimize and import an even more inferior/backwards ideology on our soil for the sake of tolerance?

If American's were beheading infidels and throwing acid in women's faces then I might agree with your statement. I see no problem with denying the building of a mosque, many of them which have become a hotbed of extremism and third-world barbarism as of recently.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:33 AM

12 posts, read 15,446 times
I don't remember. Was it Kennesaw that required all residents to own a gun???

Old 12-08-2014, 10:03 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,717,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post
That goes both ways. Ignorance and fear of "others" in the Middle East and other Islamic-dominated countries are magnitudes greater than over here where the worst that happens is simply denying zoning for a mosque. Why would we want to legitimize and import an even more inferior/backwards ideology on our soil for the sake of tolerance?

If American's were beheading infidels and throwing acid in women's faces then I might agree with your statement. I see no problem with denying the building of a mosque, many of them which have become a hotbed of extremism and third-world barbarism as of recently.
The greatest part about America is that our government, in theory, is based on tolerance. We have freedom of religion, freedom of speech, and many other freedoms not granted to others around the world by their governments. We are, again theoretically, entitled to these freedoms regardless of race, sexuality, religion, income level, etc. etc. You have no right to call any other religion inferior to your own. There are extremists in most religions, Christianity included. Throughout history, people have started wars and killed millions in the name of the name of all the dominant religions (except probably Buddhists).

Just because your ignorance allows you to believe that all practicing Muslims are out to kill Americans doesn't mean it is the reality. Again, extremists exist in all religions (and in politics, and in many other facets of life), and we can't let extremists and the media's one size fits all portrayal of them inhibit a whole group of people from worshipping peacefully in the United States. I know plenty of Muslims, and almost ALL OF THEM WERE BORN IN THIS COUNTRY. As citizens of this country, they have all the same rights as you, even if you do not agree with their opinions and beliefs. That is not legitimizing and inferior ideology, but rather, it is allowing people to live how our Constitution intends them to live. Denying people from practicing their religion is a part of a slippery slope that our Judicial System is set up to prevent from sliding further down. That is why the Mosque has every right to sue, will sue, and will win.

Also, if you have any kind of research that proves your statement "many of them have become a hotbed of extremism", I'd like to see it. By your use of many, I'd think you mean majority, or at least 50%. I have extremely high doubts that of the thousands of Mosques situated throughout the USA, anywhere close to 50% have become hotbeds for terrorists in training.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:09 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,907,768 times
I'm opposed to allowing the worship center but only because I am concerned about the number of souls that will be saved and end up in heaven and potentially take up all the good viewing spots before I get there leaving me with a table near the kitchen.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:11 AM

41 posts, read 71,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post

Please see this article on Christians killing Muslims: Central African Republic: Muslims Forced to Flee | Human Rights Watch

Old 12-08-2014, 10:35 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,681,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toocold4me2013 View Post
I don't remember. Was it Kennesaw that required all residents to own a gun???
Yes. I don't know if it is enforced though.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:05 AM

23,374 posts, read 43,860,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Yes. I don't know if it is enforced though.
It's not. My sister lived there and never owned one. It's not like they did spot checks. The main impetus was as a crime deterrent. A criminal was likely to think twice about breaking and entering if he thought there was a higher probability of a gun on the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta