Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 03:19 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocold4me2013 View Post
I don't remember. Was it Kennesaw that required all residents to own a gun???
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Yes. I don't know if it is enforced though.
I think toocold was making a tongue in cheek remark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It's not. My sister lived there and never owned one. It's not like they did spot checks. The main impetus was as a crime deterrent. A criminal was likely to think twice about breaking and entering if he thought there was a higher probability of a gun on the other side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Which turns out to be factually incorrect.
I lived there and can assure you that it was not enforced.

I did not major in Psychology so I'm not going to pretend that I know anything about peoples' motivations, BUT, unless the city has been flat out lying, the crime rate in Kennesaw was relatively low as compared to the rest of ATL metro.

Now, that being said, I had a police officer come in to work and run a self defense seminar. He said if you want a burglar to get away from your front door, then buy a pump gun. You don't have to kill nobody, but the chuck-chuck sound in itself will send them on their way.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:32 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Dear blisterpeanuts, please leave this thread. You have made an absolute fool of yourself with your tone-deafness and religious bigotry. Oh, and do us all a favor and don't vote. Ever.

EDIT: And please read this.
Can't stand the heat, eh?

Nothing like a little logic to frustrate a liberal! How about responding to my points factually, otherwise it's you who ought to leave.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
This is 100% false and really shows just how delusional you are.
Kindly substantiate your points. The majority of casualties in these conflicts have been bombings in public places by militants. the US role was mainly to target militant bases.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
What percentage of the Kennesaw worshipers will be engaging in violent jihad after they get out of church? That is the only relevant question here.

This is false.

Russia's war with Ukraine, not related.
Tons of conflicts in Africa not related.
Mexican drug wars, not related.
etc.
A poll of US Muslims taken in the early 2000s indicated that about 25% of young people support suicide bombings "when appropriate". So, yes, I'd say that a significant chunk of the cult members would be ok with violence against heretics.

Over 200,000 civilians killed so far in Syria, in what is largely a sectarian conflict between Assad's Shiite government and Sunni rebels.

Millions killed in Africa in Muslim-Christian conflicts. The Muslims have been extremely brutal, sometimes assassinating moderate Muslim clerics who call for peaceful coexistence.

It was reported in the news the other day that 5,000 people were killed last month by militants. 5,000 in one month. There's a slaughter going on out there. If you want to hide your heads in the sand and pretend that Islam doesn't have a violent extremism problem, then you're just deluding yourselves.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:52 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
If you want to hide your heads in the sand and pretend that Islam doesn't have a violent extremism problem, then you're just deluding yourselves.
Who do you (or Joan) imagine is claiming that it isn't a problem? Islamic extremism is a problem. It's a problem for the West, and it's a much bigger problem for the millions upon millions of peaceful Muslims in the Middle East and South Asia that have to deal with it every day.

It's a problem. It's just not a problem that in any way justifies banning a place of worship (or the entire religion!) in Kennesaw, either legally, morally or pragmatically. You seem like a smart enough guy to grasp this.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:55 AM

994 posts, read 1,540,812 times
Back to the topic at hand: They didn't want to get sued, so it's been passed unanimously.

The Marietta Daily Journal - Mosque approved in 5 0 Kennesaw City Council vote

Old 12-16-2014, 08:10 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,664 times
Quote:
Karen Untz, a protester from Cumming, said she was scared of what would happen to the community now that the mosque was allowed in and predicted it would bring Sharia law with it.

“They get a bunch of people in an area, and then they institute Sharia law, and then they beat their wives, et cetera, et cetera. I don’t want to go into all the other terrible things they do,” Untz said. “This is going to start happening all over the state.”
Read more: The Marietta Daily Journal - Mosque approved in 5 0 Kennesaw City Council vote

I can't believe some libs are so "PC" as to find any of this objectionable.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Who do you (or Joan) imagine is claiming that it isn't a problem? Islamic extremism is a problem. It's a problem for the West, and it's a much bigger problem for the millions upon millions of peaceful Muslims in the Middle East and South Asia that have to deal with it every day.

It's a problem. It's just not a problem that in any way justifies banning a place of worship (or the entire religion!) in Kennesaw, either legally, morally or pragmatically. You seem like a smart enough guy to grasp this.
If you read back in this thread, I said that they probably ought to let the mosque be built unless it's a zoning violation that would apply equally to any church.

I'm just reacting to those who reflexively jump to the defense of Islam and equate it to Christianity, Judaism, Hindu, etc.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:23 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Can't stand the heat, eh?

Nothing like a little logic to frustrate a liberal! How about responding to my points factually, otherwise it's you who ought to leave.
And here comes the name-calling flail. Like clockwork.

YOU are the one not responding to factual points. Not us. You. Stop playing the "responsibility" card if you're afraid to take any yourself. You are desperately trying to insulate yourself in your Fox News bubble, and we are trying to show you how ****ed up that bubble is. On that note, I see that you didn't read the article. It might help to treat some of your Islamophobia. But it is very phobia that will prevent you from reading it with an open mind.

God, sometimes I am ashamed that I live in the same state as people with such impaired judgment...

Old 12-16-2014, 08:34 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,252 times
Quote:
If you read back in this thread, I said that they probably ought to let the mosque be built unless it's a zoning violation that would apply equally to any church.

I'm just reacting to those who reflexively jump to the defense of Islam and equate it to Christianity, Judaism, Hindu, etc.

Actually it is more like Christianity and Judaism than it is Hinduism. Just by virtue of being Abrahamic.

Theologically it is more similar than you would think. In practice, the most hardline fundamentalists have taken over the positions of government followed by a bunch of illeterates that are incapable of reasonable thought.

It really can happen here. No different than if Pat Robertson and Westboro Baptist and any other of the extremist Christians suddenly took over our government.

Hell Eric Rudolph is a perfect example of a Christian Jihadist.

But at this point, we're just setting up strawmen and knocking them down. Good talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta