U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2014, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,947 posts, read 3,998,611 times
Reputation: 2760

Advertisements

Kennesaw City Council rejects mosque at shopping center | Political Insider blog

Behind Kennesaw <- Excellent analysis of this decision.

Kennesaw may revisit mosque decision | www.ajc.com

And this is why we cannot always trust local and state governments to get it right. This is why we NEED a federal government that to enforce the protection of rights for ALL citizens, not just the citizens we like. You don't like Islamic worship centers? Fine. Don't go to one. But stop infringing on the rights of others simply because those rights make you feel uncomfortable.

 
Old 12-07-2014, 06:32 PM
 
994 posts, read 1,110,698 times
Reputation: 1225
Yeah, I think this will ultimately be re-presented and overturned.

Many people I know in Kennesaw are embarrassed and disappointed by the council's decision and clear bigotry.

Kennesaw is almost 50% non-white. Many people are also not Christians.

Times are changing, whether the old guard likes it or not.
 
Old 12-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Status: "Ready for Fall" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Atlanta
4,647 posts, read 3,023,428 times
Reputation: 3867
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Yeah, I think this will ultimately be re-presented and overturned.

Many people I know in Kennesaw are embarrassed and disappointed by the council's decision and clear bigotry.

Kennesaw is almost 50% non-white. Many people are also not Christians.

Times are changing, whether the old guard likes it or not.
Exactly. And this is not something unique to suburban North Georgia, it happens all over the Country.

On the flip side, there are local examples like the beautiful new Mosque on 14th Street in Midtown. It's an architectural masterpiece, and has been embraced by the neighborhood.
 
Old 12-07-2014, 07:25 PM
 
2,599 posts, read 2,982,481 times
Reputation: 1426
But is it a zoning issue, possibly? I don't recall the last time I've seen a worship center of any kind at a mall but maybe worship centers are storefronts at malls and I've just missed it? Seems like an odd location for any type of worship center. That being said, yes, people are bigoted in so many ways in the great country of America that it's really sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Kennesaw City Council rejects mosque at shopping center | Political Insider blog

Behind Kennesaw <- Excellent analysis of this decision.

Kennesaw may revisit mosque decision | www.ajc.com

And this is why we cannot always trust local and state governments to get it right. This is why we NEED a federal government that to enforce the protection of rights for ALL citizens, not just the citizens we like. You don't like Islamic worship centers? Fine. Don't go to one. But stop infringing on the rights of others simply because those rights make you feel uncomfortable.
 
Old 12-07-2014, 07:41 PM
 
Location: East Side of ATL
4,147 posts, read 5,743,091 times
Reputation: 1768
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
But is it a zoning issue, possibly? I don't recall the last time I've seen a worship center of any kind at a mall but maybe worship centers are storefronts at malls and I've just missed it? Seems like an odd location for any type of worship center. That being said, yes, people are bigoted in so many ways in the great country of America that it's really sad.
All over the metro, churches are in shopping centers and office parks.

Justice Department will be sending them a letter soon enough.
 
Old 12-07-2014, 07:46 PM
 
2,599 posts, read 2,982,481 times
Reputation: 1426
Wow. Georgia needs to get it together when it comes to zoning. This is the only place I've ever seen where you can build or put anything almost anywhere - worship centers in office parks and shopping malls. Hmm. I'm driving down the street and all the homes are Craftsman style and then notice some idiot has put up a freaking modern style home three stories high in the middle of the block of single story Craftsman. Ridiculous. Yes, that is awful they denied them the mosque then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
All over the metro, churches are in shopping centers and office parks.

Justice Department will be sending them a letter soon enough.
 
Old 12-07-2014, 11:36 PM
 
17 posts, read 33,688 times
Reputation: 25
Well yeah, we have freedom of religion, as long as its Christianity of Judaism.
 
Old 12-08-2014, 01:03 AM
 
Location: Metro Atlanta & Savannah, GA - Corpus Christi, TX
4,348 posts, read 6,939,305 times
Reputation: 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Wow. Georgia needs to get it together when it comes to zoning. This is the only place I've ever seen where you can build or put anything almost anywhere - worship centers in office parks and shopping malls. Hmm. I'm driving down the street and all the homes are Craftsman style and then notice some idiot has put up a freaking modern style home three stories high in the middle of the block of single story Craftsman. Ridiculous. Yes, that is awful they denied them the mosque then.
Exactly. Zoning laws in the state are horrible. They're either outdated, not stringent enough or just plain don't make sense.

The board denied the church because of zoning. Just because there are churches in other parts of the metro in strip malls doesn't mean they are allowed in Kennesaw.

Why would you put a church in a strip mall anyway? (I'm sure money or lack thereof have a lot to do with it)
Bottom line is, the church should find a better, more suitable place to call home.

I disagree that they were being discriminated against.

Fwiw, if a southern baptist church, for example, tried to do the same thing and the board approved it, it'd be a whole different ball game... and then I could see it being discrimination.
 
Old 12-08-2014, 01:56 AM
 
Location: Atlanta (O4W)
81 posts, read 86,338 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Exactly. Zoning laws in the state are horrible. They're either outdated, not stringent enough or just plain don't make sense.

The board denied the church because of zoning. Just because there are churches in other parts of the metro in strip malls doesn't mean they are allowed in Kennesaw.

Why would you put a church in a strip mall anyway? (I'm sure money or lack thereof have a lot to do with it)
Bottom line is, the church should find a better, more suitable place to call home.

I disagree that they were being discriminated against.

Fwiw, if a southern baptist church, for example, tried to do the same thing and the board approved it, it'd be a whole different ball game... and then I could see it being discrimination.
If that were true, why would Kennesaw enter into negotiations with the Mosque to begin with? Obviously the city, by stipulating conditions of occupancy, did NOT feel it was a zoning issue.

If you need additional convincing of the fact it was out and out discrimination...blatantly, I might add...
take note of the totally unreasonable demands Kennesaw makes of the Mosque, certain I'm sure, they would NEVER be agreed to. When, in fact, the Mosque agreed to ALL demands made by the city, the city promptly votes down/disallows the very contract they had just negotiated. Zoning issue...really!?!?
 
Old 12-08-2014, 02:10 AM
 
6,795 posts, read 6,600,574 times
Reputation: 5411
And people wonder why the South is looked down upon by the rest of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top