Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 11:19 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times

Advertisements

it has nothing to do with commutes! read the damned article instead of replying back to me!

it has to do with population and development density... that's it! it has zero to do with how far out the development is or how far people commute. the same principles could apply if the development were built a mile from downtown. read the article!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 11:36 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
it has nothing to do with commutes! read the damned article instead of replying back to me!

it has to do with population and development density... that's it! it has zero to do with how far out the development is or how far people commute. the same principles could apply if the development were built a mile from downtown. read the article!
Bryant, grow some respect and watch your language please.

This article and you for that matter... are leaving tons of things out that are a real reality.

Most of this region and even the city of Atlanta itself is built as a suburb, yet it has thrived and meets a funding equilibrium with the federal and state government (in fact the whole region pays more money than it gets back). There is clearly more going on here than meets the eye.

In a region growing towards 8 million people finding the right balance of having that many people and building places for people to live has MUCH TO DO with zoning and where people live in relation to where they work.

This relationship between living and working also has much to do with that types of infrastructure need to be built and where. Each of these pieces of infrastructure have far different costs both in capital and long-term maintenance. This is why counties like Gwinnett and Cobb thrive without having any subsidies that go beyond what the CoA would also get. They are not traditional commuter suburbs in a 50s-70s sense. That is an important key.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:31 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
cwkimbro - I am not sure where you get your ideas that that zoning is going to stop denser development from happening in town. Near me just last week they tore down ~20 single family homes to start building a new 285 unit mid-rise (with 16,000 sq ft of retail).

Reynoldstown Elan Project Green-Lighted For Construction - Development Du Jour - Curbed Atlanta

Midtown and Buckhead continue to announce new highrises on the sites that were either parking lots or low-rises or even single family homes (As is the case for this tower just announced yesterday: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/r...-tower-by.html ).

Last edited by jsvh; 12-10-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 12-10-2014, 04:24 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Is he suggesting Atlanta is going to stop growing? Atlanta is about to go through a mini population boom especially if the economy gets going. I can easily see 15k-20k people per year increases in the city of Atlanta alone. I mean, Atlanta is already growing at 6.6% every 3 years now. For context, Seattle is 7.2%. Atlanta has a high growth rate with a bad economy. Imagine with a good economy.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:59 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
I believe both the suburbs and the city proper will be fine. The percentage change in areas that are already heavily populated will probably be less but they will still see steady growth.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Is he suggesting Atlanta is going to stop growing? Atlanta is about to go through a mini population boom especially if the economy gets going. I can easily see 15k-20k people per year increases in the city of Atlanta alone. I mean, Atlanta is already growing at 6.6% every 3 years now. For context, Seattle is 7.2%. Atlanta has a high growth rate with a bad economy. Imagine with a good economy.
I don't believe anyone is suggesting that, rather someone trying to play up the city is continually putting down growth in the suburbs and exurbs and you can't address this argument with certain individuals without everyone making this into a suburb city city contest.

However, I have said that given the zoning the city is willing to put on the table and lack of political will to touch single family home neighborhoods in the city.... there is only room for another 500,000 ITP and that will take well beyond 2040.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
cwkimbro - I am not sure where you get your ideas that that zoning is going to stop denser development from happening in town. Near me just last week they tore down ~20 single family homes to start building a new 285 unit mid-rise (with 16,000 sq ft of retail).

Reynoldstown Elan Project Green-Lighted For Construction - Development Du Jour - Curbed Atlanta

Midtown and Buckhead continue to announce new highrises on the sites that were either parking lots or low-rises or even single family homes (As is the case for this tower just announced yesterday: Developer proposes 22-story residential tower by Piedmont Park - Atlanta Business Chronicle ).
When did you move to town?

Atlanta has a long history of being extremely strong supporters of preservation of most of the single family neighborhoods throughout town

A great deal of land throughout the city is not open to redevelopment in raw acreage. However older commercial areas, industrial areas and the very core downtown/midtown are. It is important to note that is a small amount of land area of the whole city. Most of the land area are residential lots with a long standing resistance to change.

Yes there are a few, like the top article you post that are hand full of lots on a single block sandwiched between a commercial area and an industrial area along railroad tracks. However there would be heavy resistence if you went just a block or two south.

The neighborhood just north of there actually put up several fights over the development of just older commercial properties adjacent to the residential neighborhood. Ultimately, they lost that fight though.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:48 PM

280 posts, read 389,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post

However, I have said that given the zoning the city is willing to put on the table and lack of political will to touch single family home neighborhoods in the city.... there is only room for another 500,000 ITP and that will take well beyond 2040.
Very nice persistent trolling. Notice what he is doing. He picked a random figure (Why 500,000? How did he calculate that?) and use a hand waving rationale that pertains only to the wealthiest or most historic neighborhoods ITP (the homeowners association in Old 4th Ward has prevented growth... No, I guess not. He must he referring to the protests about the new subdivisions going in on the Westside.. No I guess I have never heard about those either). Downtown Atlanta may be able to take 500,000 by itself (although I agree it won't be there by 2040). But that is just north of I-20. There are huge tracts of land South of I-20 that haven't been touched by redevelopment. And that is just in the city of Atlanta. Apartments and condos are pouring into Brookhaven, Decatur and what will be Lavista Hills. South Dekalb ITP has huge amounts of undeveloped land. New developments are abounding in ITP Cobb. I could go on, but my point is clear.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:27 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kferq View Post
Very nice persistent trolling. Notice what he is doing. He picked a random figure (Why 500,000? How did he calculate that?) and use a hand waving rationale that pertains only to the wealthiest or most historic neighborhoods ITP (the homeowners association in Old 4th Ward has prevented growth... No, I guess not. He must he referring to the protests about the new subdivisions going in on the Westside.. No I guess I have never heard about those either). Downtown Atlanta may be able to take 500,000 by itself (although I agree it won't be there by 2040). But that is just north of I-20. There are huge tracts of land South of I-20 that haven't been touched by redevelopment. And that is just in the city of Atlanta. Apartments and condos are pouring into Brookhaven, Decatur and what will be Lavista Hills. South Dekalb ITP has huge amounts of undeveloped land. New developments are abounding in ITP Cobb. I could go on, but my point is clear.
Use your troll label for someone worthy of it. CWKimbro is one of the longstanding posters on this site, always brings well reasoned points presented in a respectful manner. What you describe above could probably hold an additional 500k max but that is long shot. A good estimate in my opinion.

Atlanta is not on an island, it will never be a Manhattan as much as some wish it would. South Atlanta is full of leafy, large lot neighborhoods, just because they are south of 20 doesn't mean the folks there will roll over and let huge developments take their neighborhoods. There hasn't been a market to do that and it is doubtful there will be for decades to come.

Take some time to post useful comments, get to know the people who frequent this page and spend some time posting positive comments before you make snarky ones against one of the best commenters on this Atlanta page.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:45 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
We also need to be sure we don't eradicate elbow room. That's one of the hallmarks that makes the ATL what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta