Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,577 times

Advertisements

Im a 23 year old recent college graduate living in NYC (originally from TN). I am highly considering moving to Atl because of the cost/quality of living in the city and also I just really hate it here (nice area but crappy landlord). I have spent hundreds on taking city exams to increase income, but it still would be a struggle to pay $1300 for a 1 bedroom plus other expenses.

I wanted to know if any one has any idea on the process transferring a NYC voucher to Atl?
If there is a grace period for finding work or if I must be employed down there upon arrival?
Are there city/state/gov. exams that are offered such as in NYC?
Is gosection8.com a legitimate website for housing?
Are there any decent apartment complexes that i could look into?
Should I have references? Apartment or house?

I will be graduating from basic training in the spring (hopefully the VA will help), and my lease is over in October, so I would like to make the transition as easy as possible. Just looking for a decent place start out and eventually raise my socio-economic status to get off of section 8. Atl would easier place to do so. Any useful feedback would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 05:52 PM

226 posts, read 276,080 times
Welcome!

Old 12-08-2014, 11:24 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,471 times
Confused?
23 year old recent college graduate living in NYC seeking section 8. Really. No comment because I just can't get past the desire to look for section 8 when you are educated. Are you asking how to milk a system that tax payers support so you don't have to take the actions of a responsible adult when relocating or making changes in your life?
Have no idea how to answer your question or information about section 8

Old 12-08-2014, 05:45 PM

787 posts, read 969,101 times
Im not surprised he's looking for assistance he's in the worst position you can be in in America now, the Middle Class. He makes too much money for public assistance, but not enough to make a decent living.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:18 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjacksonjr1991 View Post
Im a 23 year old recent college graduate living in NYC (originally from TN). I am highly considering moving to Atl because of the cost/quality of living in the city and also I just really hate it here (nice area but crappy landlord). I have spent hundreds on taking city exams to increase income, but it still would be a struggle to pay $1300 for a 1 bedroom plus other expenses.

I wanted to know if any one has any idea on the process transferring a NYC voucher to Atl?
If there is a grace period for finding work or if I must be employed down there upon arrival?

I will be graduating from basic training in the spring (hopefully the VA will help), and my lease is over in October, so I would like to make the transition as easy as possible. Just looking for a decent place start out and eventually raise my socio-economic status to get off of section 8. Atl would easier place to do so. Any useful feedback would be helpful.
Atlanta would not necessarily be an easier place to do so, mainly because jobs are very hard to get there. The jobs that are there are often low paying if you are not in IT or a STEM field. Having an education or lots of experience makes it no easier to get a job there.

Also a lot of the section 8 housing in Atlanta is in bad areas. Atlanta has a lot of crime, and many of it suburbs are no better. So you will have to be very careful where you choose to live. The nice areas there are expensive, so you will be hard pressed to find anyone that takes section 8 in those areas. Atlanta is a place where the housing is either very expensive and unaffordable or cheap and unsafe. There is not a whole lot available in between its far as housing there.

Atlanta is ranked as having the worst upward mobility. So, if you don't walk into the door in Atlanta finding a job that pays a high salary, it will be very hard for you to find one that does. If you start off making low pay in Atlanta there's a very good chance that you will stay there, especially if you are black.

Atlanta maybe cheaper than New York, but there is not a lot of opportunity there. Also, Atlanta is very expensive against the low salaries that they pay there. Atlanta is not is cheap as people claim and it is getting more and more expensive.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 12-09-2014 at 07:28 AM..

Old 12-09-2014, 07:25 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjacksonjr1991 View Post

Be careful moving to Atlanta. You won't see any news stories about it, but the unemployment rate here is one of the highest in the country. Of the top 66 U.S. metropolitan areas with the highest unemployment (as measured September 2014), 11 of the cities are in Georgia! Atlanta is #49 for unemployment.... which doesn't sound bad until you realize that there are 372 metro areas on the list, putting the Atlanta metro area in the bottom sixth! Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Yes, rent is cheaper here than NYC, but so is everywhere (except for San Francisco, perhaps).

If you want to make a move, then I would do some heavy internet research to find out which cities offer the best job opportunities for your field. You are young and can afford to spend 2 years establishing yourself

Old 12-09-2014, 09:15 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Actually The New York Times did publish an article some time ago about Atlanta having the worst upward mobility in the nation.

But you are right in the general sense that most of the media including those in Georgia are pretty much sweeping this situation under the rug.

We just can't have these incovenient little stories ruining the carefully crafted image of the Atlanta success story now, can we?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/bu...s.html?hp&_r=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Be careful moving to Atlanta. You won't see any news stories about it, but the unemployment rate here is one of the highest in the country. Of the top 66 U.S. metropolitan areas with the highest unemployment (as measured September 2014), 11 of the cities are in Georgia! Atlanta is #49 for unemployment.... which doesn't sound bad until you realize that there are 372 metro areas on the list, putting the Atlanta metro area in the bottom sixth! Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Yes, rent is cheaper here than NYC, but so is everywhere (except for San Francisco, perhaps).

If you want to make a move, then I would do some heavy internet research to find out which cities offer the best job opportunities for your field. You are young and can afford to spend 2 years establishing yourself

Last edited by AcidSnake; 12-09-2014 at 09:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: